Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the Greatest?

• 29-11-2005 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

So, who is the greatest of all time then. Opinions and reasons please!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Depends really..greatest what. Fan favourite? Hogan obviously. Wrestler? Angle and Bret Hart both great technicians. Mike skills? The Rock and Austin both cut some absolutley amazing promos during their day including my personal favourite of all time which included The Rock calling Kevin Kelly an ugly hermaphrodite. Overall I wouldn't like to pick one so I'll listen to what others have to say and post an opinion later.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

i dont think i can choose one absolute great....no one wrestler has been perfect...some have mic skills and others dont..some are very technical and others arent as technical but may have skills that the technical guys cant do....
    i prefer to sit back and appreciate what they ALL do rather than focusing on one wrestler alone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Definitely Funaki. The guy is an icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

best all round imo has to be chris jericho mat technican, some high flying, great on the mic [especially with steph concerned] best of all can play both ends of the spectrum as either face or despised heel [which few can pull off]

moongoose wrote:
    best all round imo has to be chris jericho mat technican, some high flying, great on the mic [especially with steph concerned] best of all can play both ends of the spectrum as either face or despised heel [which few can pull off]

The fact that he was the first undisputed champion too adds a lot of weight to the argument for him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The 2 that come to mind for me are Angle and Flair. They both are pretty much the complete package. Great on the mic and 2 of the best to ever get in a ring. Can play heel or face with ease and get the crowd to buy into both very easily.

They are the only 2 i can think of who were as good in the ring as they are on the mic even though Rock and Austin were better with the mic than both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Jericho's championship win was wwe giving him something so he wouldn't get bored or frustared, like he did in wcw when he left. Fact is he got bored and furstatred again and wwe could'nt come up with anything to give him, that's why he's on hiatus. To pick a favourite is very tough. Austin got me back into wrestling 7 yrs ago and brought me t.v that I yearned to watch, but as an all rounder i'd have to pick flair. Look at all the titles to his name, his ring skills and some of his prmos have beeen amazing. I remember the one he cut when the four horsemen reformed and he was going mental at bischoff. I've never seen someone who has so much passion, and embodies the phrase of "living breathing sleeping wrestling" like flair has. Plus look at the age he is at now and HIS WILLINGNESS TO HELP OUT younger talent get a push(looking at you Hogan).

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

with the names being mentioned for either wrestling skills or mic skills there's 2 people i'd mention for pure wrestling chris benoit who i'd certainly rank ahead of angle and miles ahead of flair. and for mic skills mick foley [especially during his ecw days although the cheap pops where quite funny]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

All the above who were mentioned are very good, i would never put Jericho as one of the greatest though, great sure, but the greatest????

Flair, he is a legend, he needs to start thinking about giving it a rest though, Hogan takes months out now for a reason, age can play havoc with you!!

Personnally, i gotta go with the cursed family of wrestling and say Kerry Von Erich. I have seen quite a few matches of him and by god, the man never made a mistake, he got the crowd HEAVING, he was a legend!!!! It's a shame he was never meant to reach the heights that lesser men did!

He came through a LOT and kept going, it's a shame the demons eventually got to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Hulk4ever

Their can only be a couple of the greatest

1. The Ultimate Warrior
    2. Hulkster
    3.HKB
    4. Breat Hart
    5. Undertaker

But 2 I'd love to have seen more of and I'd reckon one had great potential but HBK got push instead - i.e the most charismatic intercontinental champ ever - Marty Jannety & Great ever IC champ (great character) - Razor Ramon

Ultimate Warrior!?!?!?!?!?! He couldn't cut a promo or wrestle a match to save his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hulk4ever wrote:
    3.HKB
    4. Breat Hart

Never heard of these guys. Do they work the indy scene?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Hulk4ever wrote:
    1. The Ultimate Warrior
    2. Hulkster
    3.HKB
    4. Breat Hart
    5. Undertaker

TELL ME HE DID NOT JUST SAY THAT!!!!!!!

Never heard of these guys. Do they work the indy scene?:D

LOL:D :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

This is like asking everyone whats their favourite all time biscuit is. Some will like the fig roll, others the custard cream, others will go for the origianl type of biscuit we can call it the ric flair of biscuits, the rich tea or some will go for the choclate golden grain (my personal favourite).
    The point of this weird analogy is that wrestling is such a varied thing with so many types/styles and aspects to it that there is no definitive answer. If you are questioning my sanity after writing this I dont blame you ! Myabe the only objective way to look at it is in terms of money. How many ppv buys they sold, merchandise, ratings etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Shawn Michaels with Dynamite Kid a close 2nd.

Flair, Bret, Benoit, Kurt, Michaels.

My personal is Flair, the man is a God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

On a certain wrestling forum a while ago, everyone was asked to pick the best 25 wrestlers ever. The first in your list would get 25 points, the second would get 24 points, and so on. A lot of people voted, and in the end HBK came second, a mere 130 points or so behind Bret Hart who got around 1000, I think. Everyone else in the list were really close

I wasn't surprised by this at all. I'd put Bret at no.1, higher if it were possible! Greatest wrestler ever. He had it all, he was brilliant on the mic, extremely technically proficient, able to get the crowd into his matches, whether they loved him or hated him. Nobody had an "indifferent" opinion on Bret. He was in some of the most exciting and emotional matches ever, vs Shawn in the Ironman match, vs Owen at Summerslam, vs Austin at WM. Was part of one of the best tag teams ever aswell. Legend personified

Fozzy wrote:
    Nobody had an "indifferent" opinion on Bret. He was in some of the most exciting and emotional matches ever, vs Shawn in the Ironman match, vs Owen at Summerslam, vs Austin at WM. Was part of one of the best tag teams ever aswell. Legend personified

I toatally agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

The greatest to me, on a personal level? Lita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Greatest to me - Mr Perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

This is like asking everyone whats their favourite all time biscuit is. Some will like the fig roll, others the custard cream, others will go for the origianl type of biscuit we can call it the ric flair of biscuits, the rich tea or some will go for the choclate golden grain (my personal favourite).
    The point of this weird analogy is that wrestling is such a varied thing with so many types/styles and aspects to it that there is no definitive answer.

Exactly , but i love this question because it always starts a nice debate about the pro and cons of certain wrestlers, which is always a great chat to have with the like minded!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

(1) Kurt Angle

(2) Brett Harte

(3) Jeff Hardy

(4) The Rock

Debbio69 wrote:
    (1) Kurt Angle

(2) Brett Harte

(3) Jeff Hardy

(4) The Rock

Clearly you are a bigger fan of "brett Harte" than the rest of us , seing as you know his secret real name.

Advertisement