Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping while fishing,

Options
  • 29-11-2005 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Listen me and some friends are big time into survival camping,
    We usually fish with nets, spears (quite hard) andhnt ect. We catch evcerything we eat, and webuild the shelters we live in. Although as of yet i have not heard of anywhere good in ireland that it can be done, good as in Legal, and far far away from people.

If anyone has any sujestions of locations i would grateful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

That post could go down very badly :)

Your best bet is to find a remote mountain/forested area with lakes/streams, find out firstly if camping is allowed. Then find out if you need permits for fishing in the lakes/streams, most mountain streams you won't, but find out first.

According to its legal documentation, it is illegal to kill or take any stock from Coillte land (above or below water), you are also not allowed to light fires or camp, so stay away from their controlled areas, you could easily end up in court.

Also, catching fish with any method other than rod and line is illegal. So buy some fishing gear and learn how to use it, its not really that difficult, but you will have to stalk the fish if you're fishing for trout in mountain streams, and it is good fun. If you need a permit for the fishing, buy one, and find out what the bag limit is, you are probably allowed to take a couple of fish a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

hehe dude if anyone catches you doing what your at theyd probably knock seven shades of ****e outa ya

i know i would

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

I go crazy. I say you want to eat you buy food. Not, and I quote "catch ecverything we eat". Dont kill fish in Ireland. You are killing all the fish, and I thought pollution was bad.

Ireland has/had superb fishing. Its hurting us all. I dont see any English or German anglers anymore whereas they used to be a nuisence. Speaking to lots of old anglers to ton up (get 100lbs of course fish ) in a keepnet is allmost impossible on what were easy lakes.

Please return the fish and give youself a tin of beans instead. And please dont sell fish to shops

When in rome etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Furez wrote:
    I go crazy. I say you want to eat you buy food. Not, and I quote "catch ecverything we eat". Dont kill fish in Ireland. You are killing all the fish, and I thought pollution was bad.

Ireland has/had superb fishing. Its hurting us all. I dont see any English or German anglers anymore whereas they used to be a nuisence. Speaking to lots of old anglers to ton up (get 100lbs of course fish ) in a keepnet is allmost impossible on what were easy lakes.

Please return the fish and give youself a tin of beans instead. And please dont sell fish to shops

When in rome etc...
    Just wanted to bump this cos it's a subject I'm interested in too. I've never gone camping before, but I'd like to some time in the future, and eventually get into this kind of thing.

But in reference to the post I quoted -- 3 or 4 guys camping in an area and fishing is not what depletes fish stocks! They're hunting with bloody spears, if they were out in boats with huge nets I could understand your concern, but you're exaggerating to say the least when you say that he's "killing all the fish."

If everyone caught their own fish when they wanted a meal instead of fishermen going out with nets and then freezing their catch, then there'd be no problems with fishing.

Advertisement