Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb metro broadband?

• 29-11-2005 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hello all,

Thinking of swapping over my Broadband from eircom to Digiweb. Only went onto their site today, have never heard of them before then.

Are they any good?
    Compatible with XBox live?
    Do you have to change your home number?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Its the very same DSL as eircom look at it this way there is no other
    company in Ireland that do DSL only eircom, companys like Digiweb &
    BT just resell eircoms DSL. I have had Digiweb for 12 months now and
    never had one problem its been great, plus its cheaper then Eircom so
    go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Deception217

ricey wrote:
    Its the very same DSL as eircom look at it this way there is no other
    company in Ireland that do DSL only eircom, companys like Digiweb &
    BT just resell eircoms DSL. I have had Digiweb for 12 months now and
    never had one problem its been great, plus its cheaper then Eircom so
    go for it.

Do you have to change your phone line though?

And I just notice now it says €42.00 Vat, so it actually works out more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As far as Im aware your looking at their Metro product is that right Deception217?
    If so then Im not so sure if its like Eircoms DSL, isnt Metro (im almost sure) Digiwebs own network, not relying on Eircom for the last mile(local loop)
    So Metro is completely controlled by Digiweb. As for xbox gaming it should be good seeing as your getting a 512k upload which is much better than most if not all the Eircom packages provide

If its Metro he is on about then ya its Digiwebs own network, Im getting
    Metro installed in a few mins.

Nice one ricy! Im not 100% sure so tell me is it dsl, phone line wired install or is it a wireless connection to somewhere in your local area?

just found this so no u dont have to change ur number
    http://www.digiweb.ie/pdf/Porting_form.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I live in Drogheda and am waiting to get digiweb wireless installed. I phoned them and the lady on the phone said it would be three weeks before and engineer calls me for a LOS test. Well three weeks was up on Monday and I decided to call just to check what the story was. The new lady on the phone said that the other was lying and it will be 5 to 7 weeks. Bad form.

As far as Im aware your looking at their Metro product is that right Deception217?
    If so then Im not so sure if its like Eircoms DSL, isnt Metro (im almost sure) Digiwebs own network, not relying on Eircom for the last mile(local loop)
    So Metro is completely controlled by Digiweb. As for xbox gaming it should be good seeing as your getting a 512k upload which is much better than most if not all the Eircom packages provide

Yeah I'm on about their Metro product.

So you dont have to have their phone service installed, no?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ricey wrote:
    Its the very same DSL as eircom look at it this way there is no other company in Ireland that do DSL only eircom, companys like Digiweb &
    BT just resell eircoms DSL.

Really, Eircom are the only company that do DSL?

Thats strange because both BT & Smart have unbundled exchanges, I know for a fact that BT have 40+ and they are not limited to Eircoms resold products on these exchanges.

Ok smart BT & Eircom.

The lads from Digiweb are at my house right now putting in metro, you
    get the phone service anyway no matter what but if you never use it you
    wont get charged for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Just to be annoying. :)

+ Magnet (ADSL2+)

• Advertisement

Yep, Magnets main product is based on their own network, althought they are using some unbundled and bundled local loops same as Bt and Smart.

Well, I just gave them a call now and they dont cover the 'Swords' area.

No Broadband company seems to cover this area apart from Eircom.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

I'm in a situation were my apartment building has given the "rights" of the building to a company called " Sky Conway" (Really really bad service their TV, BB and they have a phone line but it's dead:pac:)

Anyway i'm looking at Digiweb's Metro Home service as all i want is broadband, does anybody know how it works? do i just plug in and go? (Like Clearwire does) and is it anygood with Xbox live?
    If there is anything better please let me know. Thank you :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's not at all like Clearwire. More like UPC but with 8Mbps rather than 20Mbps and 30G cap instead of 120G cap.

It needs an outdoor Radio with Line of Site to the Mast. Unless it can be bolted you your balcony rail, you might not get it on an Apartment.

You can't get any real broadband on an indoor Wireless Dongle like Imagine, Clearwire, O2, 3, Meteor (=eircom Mobile) or Vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

watty wrote: »
    It's not at all like Clearwire. More like UPC but with 8Mbps rather than 20Mbps and 30G cap instead of 120G cap.

It needs an outdoor Radio with Line of Site to the Mast. Unless it can be bolted you your balcony rail, you might not get it on an Apartment.

You can't get any real broadband on an indoor Wireless Dongle like Imagine, Clearwire, O2, 3, Meteor (=eircom Mobile) or Vodafone.

That settles it then, im ****ed :(
    I play Battlefield 1943 on Xbox live using the clearwire at my dads, terrible lag at times but better than nothing, least it plays. Its not right being told what you can and can't get into your apartment when you pay good money.:mad:
    Thanks for your help on the matter, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Clarkey, this is your only warning on this; stop dragging up ancient threads. Start a new thread if you have a question to ask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement