Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

port forwarding netopia

Options
  • 29-11-2005 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

any know how to open some ports for bit torrent or azures..
    Im getting terrible download speed with both of them

netopia routerm wireless one ya get free with eircom BB

have BT BB

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Port Forwarding is called "Pinholes" on the Netopia router. In expert mode under Advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭g2e

no i dont have pinholes

here is the list under title advanced
    access control
    dhcp server
    IP passthrough
    NAT
    packter filter
    Qos
    Router Password
    Time Zone
    Vlan

i know its NAT and I've tried everything described on azures help page..seems to be slow.connects to 245 people and i knocked upload speeds to 1Kbps and downlod to max, maybe ive done something wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Edited: Sorry, you have the wireless router. Should really read the post.

NAT -> Define Custom Service -> Port Forwarding

yeah doesnt seem to work for me

using ports 6881-6889 tcp

tried setting up a static IP but i dont know much about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

g2e wrote:
    yeah doesnt seem to work for me

using ports 6881-6889 tcp

tried setting up a static IP but i dont know much about that!
    You need to set up a "udp" port range aswell AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

if your model is listed there's a set by step guide for most apps;

quick question! do i set up udp on the same ports as tcp?

Umm, BitTorrent doesn't use UDP. Try using other ports, and Azureus only uses 1 port - set it to something random... maybe in the 10k range.

You do NOT need a static I.P.

If you have a pinhole correctly set up, and Azureus correctly set up, and your firewall correctly set to allow Azureus to do whatever the hell it likes, then it should work fine. Set your uploads to about 4kB.

g2e wrote:
    quick question! do i set up udp on the same ports as tcp?
    Yes. Enter 6881 as the base port aswell in both.

Malafus wrote:
    Umm, BitTorrent doesn't use UDP
    Umm, yes it does. I haven't used Azureus in ages. I now use BitComet and it needed a udp port range setup to get it to work.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:
    Yes. Enter 6881 as the base port aswell in both.

Once again, UDP is not necessary. I'm using BitComet this very second without an open UDP port.

Set all three port numbers (start, end, and base) to one value, something between 10000 and 65535.

Now that I think about it, you probably meant you were setting your PC to a static IP.... I thought you were referring to a static external IP. Yeah, do that, and have the router forward to that address.

totally lost

do i need static ip?

ok say i use 10982 -10989
    tcp and udp..

set them in bit torrent and azerus

test setting and nat error...

g2e wrote:
    totally lost

do i need static ip?

ok say i use 10982 -10989
    tcp and udp..

set them in bit torrent and azerus

test setting and nat error...

Ok, for Azureus, you need only a single TCP port. Just one. UDP is NOT required. I'm not sure what you mean by "set them up in bit torrent and azerus" - you only need the Azureus client.
    You need to set an option in Azureus to listen on the port you have set up in the router.

I, myself, would always use a static IP, so yes, go ahead and set that up, if you can.

what is host device?

Malafus wrote:
    Ok, for Azureus, you need only a single TCP port. Just one. UDP is NOT required. I'm not sure what you mean by "set them up in bit torrent and azerus" - you only need the Azureus client.
    You need to set an option in Azureus to listen on the port you have set up in the router.

I, myself, would always use a static IP, so yes, go ahead and set that up, if you can.
    just want to test both bitt torrent and azerus, only going to keep one

but it doesnt seem to be working for me, my ports are all set up but I'm still getting a NAT error...

The problem is, I'm not familiar with the configuration of your router - only the older 3300. In that one, pinholing required you to specify the IP address of the machine you wanted the data routed to.

I don't know how to configure this without being able to see it.... perhaps the manual could assist you?

using bit commet, seems to have sorted itself out with that

1.5mb down and 1kb up

listening on 10982

cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hantakage

I'm having the same issue as the Original Poster
    I recently recieved a Netopia 3347NWG Router free with Eircom Broadband.

Inside my Network I have 2 Laptops using Wirless and 1 Desktop directly connected to the Router.

I access my Router and go to

Expert Mode -> Configure -> Advanced -> NAT -> Define Custom Service -> Port Forwarding

This gives me the following fields:

Service Name
    Global Port Range [TO] - [FROM]
    Base Host Port
    Protocol [RADIO BUTTON TCP/UDP]

When I finish creating the NAT Service I can assign it to one of the Computers on my network

So I set the Global Port Range from 6881-6889 and the Base Host Port to 6881 (protocol to TCP)

In Azureus I Go to Option and ensure that the Port is set to 6881. It then Perform on NAT/Firewall Port 6881 and it returns "NAT Error".

However I am still able to Download through Azureus - although only with a yellow smiley and at top speeds of around 50 Kbps

What do I need to get it up to Green Smiley status?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

ok. i had the green smilie before i began tinkering with it.
    i've followed all the instructions re port forwarding and the best upload speed i can get is 15kb/s
    no problem with the downloads. they come in at over 100kb/s on a live torrent. i just don't like leeching and when i say that the max upload is 15, i mean that this is what it peaks at. it's usually around 3 or 4kb/s.

using eircoms basic netopia thingy. whatever the number is. 1mb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

julep wrote:
    ok. i had the green smilie before i began tinkering with it.
    i've followed all the instructions re port forwarding and the best upload speed i can get is 15kb/s
    no problem with the downloads. they come in at over 100kb/s on a live torrent. i just don't like leeching and when i say that the max upload is 15, i mean that this is what it peaks at. it's usually around 3 or 4kb/s.

using eircoms basic netopia thingy. whatever the number is. 1mb connection.

Well if you upload at 15KBytes then your internet connection must be completelt unworkable until it loweres to around 8-10KBytes.

100KBytes on a 1Mb connection is just about as fast as your going to get!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

hmmm, i never tinkered with port forwarding and I get 20Kb/s down and same up with Azeurus on a 1mbps connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 phreneticus

hantakage wrote:
    I'm having the same issue as the Original Poster
    I recently recieved a Netopia 3347NWG Router free with Eircom Broadband.

Inside my Network I have 2 Laptops using Wirless and 1 Desktop directly connected to the Router.

I access my Router and go to

Expert Mode -> Configure -> Advanced -> NAT -> Define Custom Service -> Port Forwarding

This gives me the following fields:

Service Name
    Global Port Range [TO] - [FROM]
    Base Host Port
    Protocol [RADIO BUTTON TCP/UDP]

When I finish creating the NAT Service I can assign it to one of the Computers on my network

So I set the Global Port Range from 6881-6889 and the Base Host Port to 6881 (protocol to TCP)

In Azureus I Go to Option and ensure that the Port is set to 6881. It then Perform on NAT/Firewall Port 6881 and it returns "NAT Error".

However I am still able to Download through Azureus - although only with a yellow smiley and at top speeds of around 50 Kbps

What do I need to get it up to Green Smiley status?

Have you set up static NAT or IP? I've set up port forwarding like you have but can't say i've noticed any difference in utorrent download speeds. It's wreckin my bulb here, average download speed NEVER goes above 6kbps

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dragging up old threads!
    locking thread as pulled up twice in 2005 and 2006

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement