Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal?

• 29-11-2005 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

I have a dvd that I want to copy for some friends. I was just wondering is it legal to copy the dvd and give it to them free of charge?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,156 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

No of course it isn't, assuming you're talking about a proper dvd and not one of home movies or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I have a dvd that I want to copy for some friends. I was just wondering is it legal to copy the dvd and give it to them free of charge?
    If it is an open source CD / DVD then of course you can copy it (unless it's using an odd license)

IANAL but AFAIK

Only if -
    you have permission from the copyright holder (not the Artist unless they still have the copyright)

or

the copyright has expired ( most recent material this would apply to would be 50 year old broadcasts - there are some early US TV shows available already - , but not 50 year old LP records and other non broadcast stuff, otherwise 70-90 years after death of last surviving artist)

or

the copyright notice explicitly states that copying is allowed cf. GNU and most other open source licensed

or

something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thanks for the replys, I will just give them a load of the dvd instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Hmmm...so ..it isn't O.S.S. / GPL'd stuff on the DVD...
    So, the question I have is: why post here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Karoma wrote:
    So, the question I have is: why post here?
    Cos everyone who uses OSS is a pirate. Yarrrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

henbane wrote:
    Cos everyone who uses OSS is a pirate. Yarrrrr!
    Given the amount of casual copying of software I would say that the reverse is true. In fact I'd say that over 90% of home users ( excluding only those who only use software that needs activation) have broken a license agreement at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

In fact I'd say that over 90% of home users ( excluding only those who only use software that needs activation) have broken a license agreement at some stage.
    I would say that 87.63% of stats are made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

agh make it 90 while figure are being made up

It actually illegal to loan D.V.Ds 2 (in the case of the video Sony type ones)

grrrrr Sony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'd say 99.9% break or have broken a software license (They're ridiculous, and often infringe on basic, statuory rights).
    Anyhow...shhh...and, um, yarr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

It is not so much the rediculous licencing terms, I often get software and install it on all my PCs. It is just cheaper. The main reason that people will pirate software is because some software is just ridiculously overpriced.

Windows XP Pro > 300Eur
    Office 2003 Pro > 500Eur
    Dreamweaver 499
    Studio 999Eur!

Adobe PhotoShop 7 > 599Eur

Who other then corporations, will pay these often outrageous sums for a CD and a really useful program. Photoshop, Dreamweaver, OfficeXP and WindowsXP is probably the most pirated software.

I hate to say it but in most cases there are now decent OpenSource alternatives to these software packages. For Windows you have Linux; For OfficeXP you have OpenOffice2. But there is not replacement for Dreamweaver and Photoshop. (The Gimp is no match for PhotoShop)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

(The Gimp is no match for PhotoShop)

Yet! Give it time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

jaqian wrote:
    Yet! Give it time.
    And check out gimpshop, gimp for photoshop phreaks...

Advertisement