Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea for the Film Reviews board.

Options
  • 29-11-2005 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this lately, and I've come up with an idea for Film Reviews.

My idea is that the Film Reviews board should have to have all new threads approved by a moderator, thus all discussion and banter about the film itself be kept to the main films board, and the reviews board would be solely a collection of user reviews, and that posters would "Submit" new reviews, perhaps in accordance with some set of standards. It would also sort out the sheer amount of off-topic posts that get posted on the board.

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ great idea here... would help the reviews take first place in their own forum.

What about each review including a poll similar to something like:
    1) I found this review most helpful
    2) I didnt find this review helpful

Perhaps those that went to see the film after reading the review could then give their own thoughts.

I really value a lot of the reviews on this forum, and I think such an addition could work pretty well.

thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

whiskeyman wrote:
    What about each review including a poll similar to something like:
    1) I found this review most helpful
    2) I didnt find this review helpful

I think the vote on this thread could be used in that fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good Idea.

Hope to see it implemented soon :)

Good Idea.

Hope to see it implemented soon :)

I hope to see you implemented soon!

...no, that made no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

would topics covered involve things like the musical score and did it suit, the way it was filmed and how rthe major stars preform (ie if they were out acted by the lower cast members) or would it just be a few line review?

imo it should be more of a total film review section than the sun's reviews.

also on a side note on the vote thingy the find it helpful review should show how accurate the persons reviewing skills were cause we all know that one or two reviews are gonna be biased if they fancy whoever is on screen or just likes the director

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've been thinking about this lately, and I've come up with an idea for Film Reviews.

My idea is that the Film Reviews board should have to have all new threads approved by a moderator, thus all discussion and banter about the film itself be kept to the main films board, and the reviews board would be solely a collection of user reviews, and that posters would "Submit" new reviews, perhaps in accordance with some set of standards. It would also sort out the sheer amount of off-topic posts that get posted on the board.

Thoughts?
    Just need a little clarity on this bit...do you mean posters reply to a review with a review of their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Excellent idea, Karl!

Am i taking this up wrong? Or would i be correct in assuming the initial subject line of the thread would be something like our username? And then each review submitted after that would remain in the same thread.

Quite like the idea of having all our reviews in the one thread (but that would leave no room for other user's comments / suggestions) but this might just be me misinterpreting and elaborating on your idea...

For example:

basquille (thread title)
    - The Exorcism of Emily Rose (1st post in that thread)
    - Saw 2 (2nd post in that thread)
    - King Kong (3rd..)
    etc.

Um, Bas, I think he basically means all review threads have to be pre-approved - elimating any messing, off topicness, and the like.

Basically - you submit a review. If Karl feels its a proper review - it gets posted. All replies will be pre-moderated to ensure that they are on topic and a proper review as opposed to one liners frequently posted in the forum along the lines of "crap film", etc.

I think?

But won't that require Karl to be on the forum 24/7 trying to keep up? Or does it mean only the main initial review is moderated? Or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ah... now that makes more sense! :D

Cheers for clearing that up, Mobile.

Gots my support!

Basquille, yeah, you took it up wrong.
    Just need a little clarity on this bit...do you mean posters reply to a review with a review of their own?

I think that replies would have to be full, proper reviews, or that if it would be 1 thread per review, no replies. Not too sure how things should be done really, but I think that if the average boards user clicked on a thread reviewing a film he'd be interested in seeing, and he had a few indepth reviews, that would be the handiest.
    But won't that require Karl to be on the forum 24/7 trying to keep up? Or does it mean only the main initial review is moderated? Or what??

No, not really, there's Ixoy also, and talk of incorporating a few more moderators if there's need, so nobody will really have a hard time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think it would be good if all replies to a thread had to be pretty in-depth about the film. Or else if more than 1 review was posted in that thread. I think you'd be taking on a bit much if every post in a thread was to be moderated though. Edit...you already addressed that last point in the above post, never mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I hope to see you implemented soon!.

I'LL TAKE THE CASE!

(drops pants)

I think it would be good if all replies to a thread had to be pretty in-depth about the film.

That would be enforcing too far.. *pokes* user, ACHTUNG! make ze review deeper DIG! DIG!

Replies are fine, examples of threads that developed nicely would be the batman begins review and charlie and the chocolate factory reviews. Most reviews on that forum tend to work well.

recent example of a good reviews thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317827&page=1

The main reason i think Karl wants this new policy of moderator approval is because the world has alot of idiots in it. Who post stupid threads (not spam) in a forum which is clearly marked for REVIEWS. Karl has tried threats of banning such idiots but they still keep coming, once you get pass these idiotic moronic braindead f*ckwits the film review forum is an excellent addition to the film board.

But on a side topic, how is it possible that there so many people online who make this very stupid mistake. I mean its not like after hours, where its a BIG forum that sticks out, film reviews is tucked away in its own little corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sounds like a good idea, but it does seem like a lot of work for yourself & ixoy

ps found my new sig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

But, as been already mentioned, an awful lot of crap gets posted in the film review forum, so some method of weeding it out has to be implemented.

I think it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It is a good idea, but you have to keep in mind that many people post reviews specifically because they're looking for feedback on them. As such, not allowing replies may be a little too much.

Pre-modding the forum though? Thumbs up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I fully support this product and/or service and/or idea and/or religious faith :v:

madrab wrote:
    sounds like a good idea, but it does seem like a lot of work for yourself & ixoy

ps found my new sig :)

one or two new mods will be taken on for the film review section to help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think this is an excellent idea. I do feel, however, that it should be discussed in private on the Moderators board.

Aw bless Blitzkreig, you choose my Saw II thread as an example of what we want in relation to Karls idea.

I don't post a whole lot of replies to film threads, a few here and there, but when I post a thread review, I normally make an effort to make it a decent one :D

Karl - how many people have you banned for posting crap?

Best ones are someone who posts a thread with something stupid like "when is this out" or "terrible movie.discuss" etc...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Only flaw I can see is if a mod disagrees with the reviewer's opinions, wording, etc. and this has happened by other mods on other forums. However the guys in films are bang on in their modding in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    I think this is an excellent idea. I do feel, however, that it should be discussed in private on the Moderators board.

it already has.

And almost the exact same thing was said except replace private with public and moderators with feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    it already has.

And almost the exact same thing was said except replace private with public and moderators with feedback.
    :D

new addition to the banning list just popped onto the forum.

Karl - how many people have you banned for posting crap?

Couldn't possibly tell you, as I only really give temp bans when it comes to the film reviews forum, usually just a day, or untill they PM me. The notion of what the board is for sinks in very, very quick usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    new addition to the banning list just popped onto the forum.

Yeah. Reported that bugger. He ruined the ending :P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    That would be enforcing too far.. *pokes* user, ACHTUNG! make ze review deeper DIG! DIG!

Replies are fine, examples of threads that developed nicely would be the batman begins review and charlie and the chocolate factory reviews. Most reviews on that forum tend to work well.

recent example of a good reviews thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=317827&page=1

The main reason i think Karl wants this new policy of moderator approval is because the world has alot of idiots in it. Who post stupid threads (not spam) in a forum which is clearly marked for REVIEWS. Karl has tried threats of banning such idiots but they still keep coming, once you get pass these idiotic moronic braindead f*ckwits the film review forum is an excellent addition to the film board.

No, this suggestion is not really because of all the idiots really, I can deal with them easily. My idea was certainly to keep the discussion to the film board, and have reviews a review only board. Agreed that some review threads developed nicely in discussion, but that's not to say that similar threads cannot develop nicely on the main film board instead.

I don't know about reviews having to be too strict though, but for example, we'll say they couldn't be short little 1 or 2 line reviews, or a "Review" that was nothing more than a plot summary with a rating tagged on, or maybe poorly written reviews. Not that I'm talking a few spelling mistakes here and there, but rather txt spk, or serious blithering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

How about changing the structure of that section

The Motors section for example has a group heading of Motors and subsections of Classic cars, Motors, etc

I think the reason a lot of people go straight to the film review section is because they don't know that the film section is a board of its own and not just a topic heading

Might save ye having to pre approve posts

Just my 2 cents

How about changing the structure of that section

The Motors section for example has a group heading of Motors and subsections of Classic cars, Motors, etc

I think the reason a lot of people go straight to the film review section is because they don't know that the film section is a board of its own and not just a topic heading

Might save ye having to pre approve posts

Just my 2 cents

I think you're prefectly right. Perhaps those of us who use the subbed menu quite liberally can quickly forget about things outside of said menu, and that to the layman, the film board under the drop-down heading can merely look like a heading of it's own.

I agree that if we change the layout, have the Films board or "Films General" under a films heading, it would probably keep out a lot of off-topic posts. Perhaps move Film Production under said heading too.

However, the amount of off-topic spam isn't so high that I want to have to pre-approve posts, it's that I want it so that film reviews is kept purely for reviews, and all discussion kept to the general film board. I really like the idea that if you were to click on a thread in film reviews that you would get nothing but reviews, and not have to trawl through a lot of discussion, which often ends up in a lot of spoiler altogether.

• Advertisement

I hope I didn't reveal too many spoilers for all those eagerly awaiting a watch of "Robocop 3" in my scathing review :rolleyes: :D

Advertisement