Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband movies

• 29-11-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Sky are launching a movie download service in the next few days.

www.skybybroadband.com

You can only watch them on the computer that they've been downloaded on and knowing sky they'll have rock solid encryption. the service is free to subscribers to sky movies 1 and 2 eg my in-laws!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

digitaldr wrote:
    Sky are launching a movie download service in the next few days.

www.skybybroadband.com

You can only watch them on the computer that they've been downloaded on and knowing sky they'll have rock solid encryption. the service is free to subscribers to sky movies 1 and 2 eg my in-laws!

Wow! Well spotted!

I have bb here in the flat and we have Sky at home. Gonna try to get it put on my comp here. If anyone else manages it, post too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

btw lads, it wont be working here in ireland, as its restricted to uk isps.

W@nkers.<
    i mean sky, not yous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

I'm sure the encryption will either be

(A) Not very good

(B) Quite good but cracked in a matter of days/weeks

Sounds an interesting if not ground breaking service which will only be useful to those with quite good bb connections 4-8meg + I would imagine which is not unreasonable in the UK in a number of highly populated areas.

Good spot though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sparky_S wrote:

Come on mate, think about it, this service on the Eircom network?, It wouldn't work!, think of the complaints Sky would have to sift through as a result of €ircon's shoddy network (people blaming Sky instead).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You don't need a huge broadband pipe. The movies download to your computer, not streamed. You have upto 30 days to watch it after downloading. Read the web page.

So, in theory, even a 512 K user can watch them. It just might take a while to download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Sparky_S wrote:

W@nkers.<
    i mean sky, not yous :)

I cant find any reference saying it won't be available in Ireland. Can you point me to where you saw this please.

The reason that I think it's not currently available in Ireland is that when I signed up for it in the last day or so, that the website only asked me for my name, postcode, house number and email address.

Postcode is generally UK thing. And they never asked me for my Sky specific details, like viewing card number.

I can only imaging that they are filtering UK IP addreses. I just don't have the time to ring them and spedn 40 minutes on hold.

If someone could ring them to verify, I would appriciate it :)

OK..signing up for it now is just registering interest so they will let you know when it launches.

The FAQ says the following:

It appears from your IP that you are trying to use Sky by broadband from outside the UK or Republic of Ireland.

This message will appear if you are trying to connect to Sky by broadband from outside of the UK and Republic of Ireland. You cannot access Sky by broadband from outside the UK & Republic of Ireland. Alternatively, your internet service provider (ISP) may be assigning you an IP address which is associated with another country. Please contact your Internet Service Provider for information about this.

I would ignore that postcode things..it isn't a mandatory field. Ireland is included in this from what I read on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

digitaldr wrote:
    You can only watch them on the computer that they've been downloaded on

That sucks. They should allow you to enter the MAC address of 3 devices of your choice. What if you want to download them and watch them on your xbox? Or the PC you use for downloading isn't hooked up to your TV? Waste of time IMO, and I bet they'll call it a failure because of lack of interest no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

LOL nothing there i aint got already 6 months ago.

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:

Yes Smuggy McSmug, wtf didn't you post it then?

And Sparky, how do you know that they are filtering non UK ips?
    IrishTLR wrote:
    The reason that I think it's not currently available in Ireland is that when I signed up for it in the last day or so, that the website only asked me for my name, postcode, house number and email address.

Postcode is generally UK thing. And they never asked me for my Sky specific details, like viewing card number.

I can only imaging that they are filtering UK IP addreses. I just don't have the time to ring them and spedn 40 minutes on hold.

If someone could ring them to verify, I would appriciate it :)

Well thats a very big assumption you made from them just asking for a postcode.

And if you noticed as was said above that it was just an information request email AND the entering of your postcode was only optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i dunno how this would work but you could use a proxy but since it will ask for your sky susbcriber number etc it wont work

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It fairness you can already get all these films in your local video shop, now if the films were on-line before they went to dvd then it would be a different story
    Linoge wrote:

And Sparky, how do you know that they are filtering non UK ips?

This has already been answered
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50461985&postcount=9
    now shhh :D

Placebo wrote:
    i dunno how this would work but you could use a proxy but since it will ask for your sky susbcriber number etc it wont work

Well, if they were going to restrict it thats the way I think they would go about it. It would be much easier for them to stop non UK users by subscriber information over IP location.

That said, nobody has verified that this service wont be available here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Linoge wrote:
    <snip>
    That said, nobody has verified that this service wont be available here.

Yes they have, it will work here :)
    Did you even read this one page thread?

Cabaal wrote:
    It fairness you can already get all these films in your local video shop, now if the films were on-line before they went to dvd then it would be a different story

This has already been answered
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50461985&postcount=9
    now shhh :D

I was asking Sparky as to where he got his information rather than asking for specific information.
    Cabaal wrote:
    Yes they have, it will work here :)
    Did you even read this one page thread?

I'm not the one who ever doubted that it would work here. People are posting up false information and guess work. How about getting on to them about it?

Linoge wrote:
    I'm not the one who ever doubted that it would work here. People are posting up false information and guess work. How about getting on to them about it?

Ok, people stop assuming things and instead read the FAQ's
    thats what their there for :)
    :v:

Whats that again? POST WHAT.

ricey wrote:
    Whats that again? POST WHAT.

As in posting what you actually "got already 6 months ago" would have been much more constructive than your post of....
    ricey wrote:

He prolly means P2P downloads from the net, not Sky By Broadband

• Advertisement

No i dont mean P2P, n00b.

I took it to mean you have everything from P2P and you still arent volunteering what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From the FAQ's:
    - You are a Sky digital TV customer and you subscribe to a package which includes Sky Sports 1 & 2 and/or Sky Movies 1 & 2
    - You are based in the UK or ROI
    - You are the named Sky digital account holder
    - You have not already downloaded Sky by broadband to another PC (you can only download Sky by broadband to one PC in your household)
    http://www.sky.com/skybybroadband/requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

gsand wrote:
    I'm sure the encryption will either be

(A) Not very good

(B) Quite good but cracked in a matter of days/weeks

Sky Digital is still the only pay tv service never to be hacked. 10 years on, and nobody is even close. Infact most have given up. If Sky's encryption team(NDS) do the encryption for this then i am sure it will be absolutely top notch but to crack it will be infinitely easier than SkyDigital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I read about skybybroadband in the ROI edition of their magazine.

Ludo wrote:
    I cant find any reference saying it won't be available in Ireland. Can you point me to where you saw this please.

My sources at DigitalSpy
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=6333368&postcount=16

But the FAQ of the sky site says different, we will see, ive signed up anyways.

Sparky_S wrote:

lol Quote BskyB "but oi taut dat Oiland was part of the UK mate? (sic!)"

Ooooo, I can actually imagine him saying it almost....

Linoge wrote:
    lol Quote BskyB "but oi taut dat Oiland was part of the UK mate? (sic!)"

Ooooo, I can actually imagine him saying it almost....

Last time i heard a brit say that, i went ape sh1t.

But thats a story for another day ;)

Ok, they said they were launching "in a few days". Since when are a few days 3 weeks??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Linoge wrote:
    As in posting what you actually "got already 6 months ago" would have been much more constructive than your post of....

He meant he downloaded it 6 months a go... :rolleyes:

now stop getting your nicckers in a twist over a joke.

As for the service, it seems like a good idea. I wonder will this be availbe to the new Kiss boxes coming out at the start of the year. The ones that will have downloadable TV through BB.. it be nice if it was.

Advertisement