Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shaun Ryder (Happy Mondays) (DJ Set)Voodoo Lounge Dublin

• 29-11-2005 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I can't wait for this,have me ticket booked an all, if it's as good as the Happy Mondays in October in Manchester in for a treat :)

Transmission

Shaun Ryder (Happy Mondays) (DJ Set)
    Voodoo Lounge, Dublin

Venue Details
    Voodoo Lounge, Dublin
    39/40 Arran Quay
    Smithfield Village
    Dublin 7
    Phone: +353 1 873 6013

SHAUN RYDER (HAPPY MONDAYS) TO PLAY TWO DJ DATES
    "Do I think the Mondays will go down in musical history? I couldn't give a ****!" - Shaun William Ryder

Signed to Factory Records in 1985, the Happy Mondays were enthusiastically hyped by label boss Tony Wilson as being the first working class casuals to take centre-stage. 1987 saw the release of the gloriously titled Squirrel and G-man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carn't Smile (White Out) sounded like nothing else.

The album called Bummed and the single Wrote for Luck followed late in '88. Produced by Mancunian legend, the late Martin Hannett and remixed by Paul Oakenfold. It was an era-defining release. Mad Cyril and Lazyitis (which nicked a little bit of the lick from The Beatles "Ticket to Ride") were also great songs lifted off the album as singles.

Their biggest hit came the following year with a cover of John Kongos He's Going to Step On You, which reached No.5 in the UK. Kinky Afro followed later in the year (again UK Top 5), setting up the success of the band's brilliant third album Pills Thrills 'N' Bellyaches (Nov '90). October 1992 saw the release of the album Yes Please! It was a struggle the whole way.

The band's drug abuse was phenomenal at this point. It eventually cost a quarter of a million pounds and it bankrupted Factory Records. When EMI offered a rescue package to the band in 1993, Shaun walked out of the meeting to get himself a K.F.C. (the band's nickname for heroin). He failed to return and the group disbanded.

August 1995, saw Ryder and Bez return with Black Grape and the new band's debut album It's Great When You're Straight went to No. 1. The Catholic Church condemned the song Reverend Black Grape for supposedly endorsing the Venezuelan terrorist Carlos the Jackal. The song and video was subsequently banned from TV. Shaun was off the hard stuff and claimed Guinness was his only sin. In April 1998, the group disbanded after an unsuccessful second album, Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Ryder reformed the Mondays in 1999 in order to pay a tax bill. Now on London Records, the Mondays released a comeback single The Boys Are Back In Town, the reworking of Thin Lizzy's classic peaks at #35. In August 2000, on a ferry en route to the Witness Festival in Ireland, the Mondays announced a final split. The movie 24 Hour Party People retold the story of The Happy Mondays and Tony Wilson, winning rave reviews in 2002.

Shaun contributed voice, rather than vocals, to the Gorillaz number 1 hit, Dare. In 2005 Shaun reformed the Mondays; taking them back on tour and also recorded the track, Playground Superstar for the soundtrack to the world wide smash hit, Goal! The band is currently recording their first album since 1992, for release on Oasis' Big Brother Records label. The legendary Shaun Ryder an original and icon of his age who represented the voice and the attitude of a generation will be taking centre stage for 2 appearances in Ireland in December 2005. Ryder is back behind the decks to Get Loaded at the Voodoo Lounge, Arran Quay, Dublin on Friday December 2nd and at Dolan’s Warehouse, Limerick, on Saturday December 3rd.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Anyone from this forum going to this?I'll be there with some friends,should be a top nite:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

jonny68 wrote:
    Anyone from this forum going to this?I'll be there with some friends,should be a top nite:)

Just a word of warning, Shaun did a DJ set down here in Waterford during the summer and it was rubbish. Hope its a good night, but dont get yer hopes up too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He'll be far to wasted to be anything other then ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i've heard bad things about his "DJ Sets", apparantly its him standing there with a mike with some other guy playing reggae and stuff. Don't take my word for it though as i never actually seen him dj but thats the feedback i got anyway from a few friends who went to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

You were right lads it was gank,he was completly ****ed off his head on pills as you woud expect but he came on and basically handed 2 birds who were dj'ing before him CD's and they played them for him as he looked incable of doing it himself,moral of the story is,stick to what you are good at Shaun which is singing in a band (and getting pilled out of your nut as we appreciate) dj'ing for you mate is just not happening,having said all that it was a great buzz and it's only a pity he didn't play his own selection of CD's which was brilliant but credit to those 2 birds in the hotpants who kept it together for Shaun Ryder:D

PS-Voodoo was packed tonite but i don't think they'll be comin to see Shaun Ryder dj again,whereas if the Mondays were to play now then your talking:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement