Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ques re:line rental

• 30-11-2005 3:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Am I correct in saying if you are lucky enough to be on a EsatBT exchange that does the business packages your line gets Unbundled and you stop paying eircom for line rental?. Is it also true that you can go one step futher and tell EsatBT that you will not be using the line for voice calls,only BB and you dont pay them for line rental either just your BB.IF this is the case and with the arrival of what seems to be fairly rock solid VOIP companies like BlueFace, has comreg anything in the pipe line to make eircom drop the line rental charges if you are not using the line for voice calls

Thks Cubix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

If you're getting your broadband service down the phoneline, then yes, you'll have to pay line rental irrespective of whether or not you make voice calls. BT like Chorus offer phone line rentals, in fact you are actually just getting an Eircom line put into your home as I had pointed out to me by the engineer when we installed Chorus in my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

If you have a BT Business line you can request that it is made data only. Then you can use it with VOIP. BT currently do not unbundle residential line.

Eircon will not drop line rental anytime soon as this would be competitive and a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Paul if you are lucky enough to have a BT Business line and get esat to change it to data only do they still charge line rental?

Thks

cubix wrote:
    Paul if you are lucky enough to have a BT Business line and get esat to change it to data only do they still charge line rental?

I'm not certain. I don't think so. I think it is just the DSL charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

If you have phone line, Eircom still own the line to your front door and line rental has to be paid by someone regardless of who your BB/phone provider is (at least €14.67 per month). In the case of almost all LLU or "Single Bill" operators, the line rental is included in the cost of the BB/phone packages. Whether you call that "free line rental forever" or "line rental included" is a marketing thing.

• Advertisement

steve-o wrote:
    If you have phone line, Eircom still own the line to your front door and line rental has to be paid by someone regardless of who your BB/phone provider is (at least €14.67 per month). In the case of almost all LLU or "Single Bill" operators, the line rental is included in the cost of the BB/phone packages. Whether you call that "free line rental forever" or "line rental included" is a marketing thing.

Not if you don't receive the voice servie. The line can be made data only by the unbundler and then it is no longer a phone line, hence no phone line rental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Any body who has BT business BB can they comfirm this?

Cheers

Call BT Business and ask... post the answer here when you find out. I would like to know for certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Comreg did propose reducing DSL pricing for LLU line share from €9 to 39c. Not sure if that was ever implemented, but that pricing was based on the assumption that the line was in use for voice. The idea is to prevent Eircom from double charging - charging one operator for voice rental/unbundling and another for DSL unbundling. AFAIK, if the line is not unbundled or rented for voice then the the DSL operator needs to pay the full unbundling price.

Advertisement