Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bóthar Gift Card

Options
  • 30-11-2005 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the place for this topic but if you received a Bóthar Gift Card as a Christmas gift, would you be dissapointed?

My family has a Kris Kringle thing and I need to get a gift for my cousin. I was thinking of getting one of these cards for him for Christmas and I was thinking it'd be a great idea but my mom just got back to me and said we should get something for him not for a charity. I was just wondering what other people think about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, yes. To me, they seem like a lazy xmas pressie and they also seem like your trying to show how charitable you are.

I'm not knocking the charity, which I'm sure will earn a lot of money from this idea, but as a present idea, I don't think that they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Yeah, I could understand that point of view though my cousin is completely spoiled and has everything a kid could want so that's why I thought a Bóthar gift card would be fitting.

Also, I figure that if you're going to end up giving a gift that the recipient doesn't want or won't like, you might as well give them something that benefits a good cause.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JJ wrote:
    Yeah, I could understand that point of view though my cousin is completely spoiled and has everything a kid could want so that's why I thought a Bóthar gift card would be fitting.

Oh one of those types of kids, buy the card it'll piss him off but it'll make some familys life so much better so its all worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

JJ wrote:

Actually, like Cabaal said, if this kid is spoilt, then this could be the perfect gift for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I think the card is a good idea, you can also include some small gift like a cd or something like that

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

How old is the kid?

He's 17 actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Gorta seem to be better value....much more affordable...I know sounds weird comparing charities...but... I bought my aunt chickens last year and she was so delighted...she still talks about it....:D Its the gift that keeps on giving;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Man, that is the perfect gift for a spoilt kid. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭Archeron

JJ wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is the place for this topic but if you received a Bóthar Gift Card as a Christmas gift, would you be dissapointed?

My family has a Kris Kringle thing and I need to get a gift for my cousin. I was thinking of getting one of these cards for him for Christmas and I was thinking it'd be a great idea but my mom just got back to me and said we should get something for him not for a charity. I was just wondering what other people think about this.
    I think its these gift cards are a great idea. Last year I got them for my whole family. I got my dad an emergency shelter, and the very next day, the tsunami hit. He really felt like he was doing a part coz he knew that it was times like that that these types of gifts are needed. As well as that, there's already way too many people in Ireland buying meaningless tat for people who dont give a care whether they get it or not. Fair play to ya for thinking of this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

Seriously I think that is a selfish present, in the sense that you might feel good for giving it but I thought the spirit of giving presents is to give something that you think the other person would want. Its not about you. If you want to donate to a charity by all means go ahead and this one seems to be a good idea, but why do it in the name of someone else, just because you want to donate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I would only give such a thing if I was giving the same person other stuff too. Otherwise, comes accross as being a bit self-righteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 iti114

We do the KK thing too and I used Bothar last year.

We have a cap on the amount we can spend so options like buying a part of a cow are great (!)

It's a fun thing to do and has a benefit for people who really need things like this -so much better than buying a gadget for eur20 which gets discarded in a few months-

Trocaire and the others have a similar gift voucher scheme too and one of them you can gift a can of worms! Cool!

Advertisement