Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net Connection Dies Overnight

• 30-11-2005 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm on NTL, and currently when I leave my machine on overnight, I find I can't connect in the morning (connection to router is fine). There's no power-saving option switched on. Any idea what might be causing this, or any way I can trouble-shoot the problem?

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 freefall20

oceanclub wrote:
    I'm on NTL, and currently when I leave my machine on overnight, I find I can't connect in the morning (connection to router is fine). There's no power-saving option switched on. Any idea what might be causing this, or any way I can trouble-shoot the problem?

P.

You didnt say if you turn the PC off or not at night. The IP addresses on NTL are dynamic the IP changes every 24 hrs or so. I have NTL BB and I have never had an issue with connection. I power everything off at night and when I go to use it agian, I power the modem on 1st and give it about 1 minute for the lights to settle, then I power up my router wait for the lights to settle then switch my PC back on. You should give this a go and see if this works. If the sync and ready lights are solid on the modem there should be no issue with your connection to NTL these lights flash or stay unlight when there is a fault connecting to the network, possibly a setting on PC blocking the connection.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to say that while NTL IP is dynamic, it actually rarely changes, mine hasn't changed since I got NTL (about 6 months).

Also I leave on my NTL modem at night and turn off my PC,but I never have any problems with the NTL modem turning off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Are you running P2P? I used to have that problem, but I found limiting my speeds sorted it out fine.

Advertisement