Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storage suggestions for a grand.

Options
  • 30-11-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

hey chaps, my new house has NO, I mean NO storage. I got lots of cr@p I don't want to clutter the new place with but don't want to get damp. Can afford 1 grand.

Any ideas ?????

Cheers.

Fatboy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

You could surely get a decent shed for a grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Thanks guys, Am thinking of a garden shed allright but really need a bit of insulation as the stuff I've got to store would normally go into an attic...as I have no attic, or cupboards or anything! I'm stuck with trying to find an alternative...

Cheers

Fatboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Maybe now would be a good time to spring clean what you don't use/need/want and give some of it to a charity shop so it can make some else have a better Christmas... just a thought.

kenmc wrote:
    Maybe now would be a good time to spring clean what you don't use/need/want and give some of it to a charity shop so it can make some else have a better Christmas... just a thought.

:) I did, still got lots left (main things are baby items that wife will no longer use but insists on keeping and some soft furnishing stuff that would get damp), most is OK, bikes, DIY, mower (yet no grass !).... the usual....

FBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If going for a shed I would stay away from a wooden one.
    Get a nice plastic or even steel/alu one.
    Easier to keep clean and maintenance free.
    As for insulation, hmmm I think no matter what you go with unless it has its own heatsource (run a rad!?) its going to get damp.

GreeBo wrote:
    If going for a shed I would stay away from a wooden one.
    Get a nice plastic or even steel/alu one.
    Easier to keep clean and maintenance free.
    As for insulation, hmmm I think no matter what you go with unless it has its own heatsource (run a rad!?) its going to get damp.

yep, two things that push me towards a wooden shed tho:

1. No $$ or means of building a concrete base (no time, too busy painting, tiling and everything else)

2. Can't get one delivered and erected before Christmas.

Was thinking of running electrics to the shed and putting in an oil rad on setting 1 or two..... probably burn money doing that tho....:mad:

FBP.

Depending on how big you are going you could just put it down on some flagstones...

I wonder if you could get some sort of underfloor heating to keep the place relatively warm?

For €1000 you could probably get someone in to put down a concrete base and still get a steel shed.
    Ive seen them for €500 in places like argos.

might be a nce nixer for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

if you have some items like baby clothes that the wife is insisting on not throwing away but you don't want to put in a shed, my wife got this special box for her wedding dress 6yrs ago that almost vacuum packs the thing.

Its been up the attic since the big day and I also wrapped the box in some old carpet.

I could ask her where she got it if you like.

"JML" in roches stores do a vacuum packed bag that you hook up to the hoover.
    TBH I didnt find it that great, the bag seemed to lose its vacuum after a couple of weeks, but I might have overfilled it....
    At least it will keep the spiders away :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I am really curious why you bought a place that sounds too small for your stuff before you even move in.
    It sounds like you are just going to have get rid of some stuff

I am really curious why you bought a place that sounds too small for your stuff before you even move in.
    It sounds like you are just going to have get rid of some stuff

didn't buy it, worse, built it :D .... it was a cottage, renovated and extended up and back. Going up left me with no attic which is the main thing and the plan to put in an under-stairs cupboard went wrong as it will make a beautifully large hallway dark and small ? I can't afford good sheds and I'm moving in in three weeks time so need to put the 'essentials' that we can weed out and discard somewhere.

I'm being picky really, I have the room, its not a small house (5 double bedrooms, office, playroom & 2 sitting rooms), just where to put the cr@p you don't use/wnat every day with no attic.....????!? Don't want to put it in the playroom or a bedroom, won't fit in wardrobes (even if I had some which I don't yet :( )

FBP...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

fatboypee wrote:
    I'm being picky really, I have the room, its not a small house (5 double bedrooms, office, playroom & 2 sitting rooms), just where to put the cr@p you don't use/wnat every day with no attic.....????!? Don't want to put it in the playroom or a bedroom, won't fit in wardrobes (even if I had some which I don't yet :( )

FBP...

Just designate one of the rooms as "storage" and there you go. 4 double bed and 1 double storage. Especially if it is "short term".

OR

Convert one of the double bedrooms into two rooms with a partition wall. A boxroom and a box room.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Just designate one of the rooms as "storage" and there you go. 4 double bed and 1 double storage. Especially if it is "short term".

OR

Convert one of the double bedrooms into two rooms with a partition wall. A boxroom and a box room.

L.
    easier said than done :) 3 kids leaves only 1 guest room..... playroom will be storage for now I suppose.... not much else can do really..

FBP

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

FBP for my tuppence worth, buy a small garden shed (we are about to rent a house while ours is being finished and our landlord bought a really good sized one for around €450). Put everything that can be stored outside in that..mower, bikes etc. Then buy some of those large storage boxes in B&Q, Atlantic, Homebase, your local Hardware or Woodies (shop/phone around I did when I was looking for toy box storage and found the prices varied a lot for similar stuff) and store all the baby clothes, soft furnishings etc in these and then stack them neatly in the corner of a guest bedroom (or in playroom if you think that your kids won't climb up, pull them down on top of themselves etc). That way at least if you buy decent boxes they won't take up your whole bedroom and will be neat enough too.

FBP for my tuppence worth, buy a small garden shed (we are about to rent a house while ours is being finished and our landlord bought a really good sized one for around €450). Put everything that can be stored outside in that..mower, bikes etc. Then buy some of those large storage boxes in B&Q, Atlantic, Homebase, your local Hardware or Woodies (shop/phone around I did when I was looking for toy box storage and found the prices varied a lot for similar stuff) and store all the baby clothes, soft furnishings etc in these and then stack them neatly in the corner of a guest bedroom (or in playroom if you think that your kids won't climb up, pull them down on top of themselves etc). That way at least if you buy decent boxes they won't take up your whole bedroom and will be neat enough too.

Thanks ! I've already got a shed (flat packed since we sold our last place, new owner wanted to keep it without paying anything for it so I took it down (nearly killed myself but there ya go :eek: )), just no time to put it up again so trying to get a deal on another shed and the installers put this one up too...

really the soft furnishing stuff that I need homes for, plus a fk-off big steel framed silver cross pram thats never been used but must be kept... go rusty in the shed that... :rolleyes: ....

good idea on the boxes tho... will do that...:)

FBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Lex Luthor wrote:
    if you have some items like baby clothes that the wife is insisting on not throwing away but you don't want to put in a shed, my wife got this special box for her wedding dress 6yrs ago that almost vacuum packs the thing.

Its been up the attic since the big day and I also wrapped the box in some old carpet.

I could ask her where she got it if you like.
    Lex - I'd certainly be interested in hearing about that. The missus one is in getting cleaned at the moment, so it'd be ideal...

Advertisement