Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In-dash MP3/WMA player with Hard Disk Storage

Options
  • 30-11-2005 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of, or own an in dash mp3 player with built-in hard drive? i've got about 30gb of music on my pc at home and would love to take them around in the car.

i have seen some solutions on the net but they tend to be very 'clunky', but if there was a brand name option like pioneer or blaupunkt i'm sure it would be a very good solution.

anybody out there with experience of either? thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

preilly79 wrote:
    Does anybody know of, or own an in dash mp3 player with built-in hard drive? i've got about 30gb of music on my pc at home and would love to take them around in the car.
    I think you're better off getting a portable MP3 player and hooking it up to your existing car stereo. That way you can bring it with you whereever and it's small enough to store somewhere discreet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Would ya not be better off with an in dash dvd head unit with mp3 ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Radio wouldn't be as clear as a cable connection imo dispite their claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I saw a car stereo recently with a USB port in the front panel, presumably for a memory stick or something like that. I think it was in the Argos catalogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Pionner and kenwood do units with seperate harddrives.There out a few years but havnt really taken off probably due to them being so expensive.

Best and cheapest bet is either and mp3 compatible Hu,or a Hu with aux connection and hook up your mp3 device via phono leads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Most head units have controls for CD changers, and therefore most head units can be wire to an iPod or similar. The cable is about a tenner in the case of Blaupunkt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Most do, like most Sonys, but to get it to know yea wanna use the aux in is alot of work as yea gota fake a cd changer (if yea dont have one).
    Dont know if this is the case for other makers.

Best to get a kit for an iPod like yea can get for the last few Kenwood units.
    As for HDD headunit, they seem to cost alot. Look for the cost of the Sony unit.

I have a Sony MP3 CD unit, nice idea but cant be arsed burning CDs. Yea can get DVD head units that allow the use of a DVD-R crammed with MP3s :) 4gb of mp3s should keep someone happy for those trips to the local shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

eoin_s wrote:
    I saw a car stereo recently with a USB port in the front panel, presumably for a memory stick or something like that. I think it was in the Argos catalogue.

This is the one I was thinking of:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0490270/Trail/C%24cip%3D28884.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24cip%3D31355.In%2Bcar%2Bentertainment%3EC%24cip%3D31357.Car%2BCD%2Bradios.htm

Haven't heard of the brand before (Acoustic Solutions), but the USB memory stick seems a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

kerbdog wrote:
    Most do, like most Sonys, but to get it to know yea wanna use the aux in is alot of work as yea gota fake a cd changer (if yea dont have one).

Best to get a kit for an iPod like yea can get for the last few Kenwood units.
    As for HDD headunit, they seem to cost alot. Look for the cost of the Sony unit.

I have a Sony MP3 CD unit, nice idea but cant be arsed burning CDs. Yea can get DVD head units that allow the use of a DVD-R crammed with MP3s :) 4gb of mp3s should keep someone happy for those trips to the local shop

the one I was thinking of:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833048856

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

kerb dog thats exactly what i was going to say.my mate has a mex-1hd i think they are really nice. the unit can record the cds onto the unit .thats a much better idea than the ipod with itrip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

kerbdog wrote:

:confused::confused: All you need to do is plug your phono leads into the aux socket and jack into your ipod(or whatever) and thats the job done,no work in it at all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

The manufacturers have been too slow to figure this stuff out. I want either:

1) a head unit with an iPod input (preferably through the glove box) with a full colour display that will show the cover art and has only a high-quality amp, the display and a radio. No need for a CD or cassette player.

or

2) a head unit like (1) but with its own hard drive larger than those in the current iPods. Like: 160-300GB.

I'd say I'm not alone. At present I hook my iPod through a cassette adapter to the stock HU on my car. Though it's much better than an iTrip (I have one of those as well), it's less than ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Advertisement