Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this thread really ok?

Options
  • 30-11-2005 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054855419

ok, i know its AH, but in all honesty, what honest use or purpose does this serve at all? personally i think its absolute ****e (as can be seen by my responses on the thread, for which i was rightly banned) and really doesnt have a place on boards.

opinions?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Aye, I dont agree with that thread at all, at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

that link brings me here:

Beruthiel, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My mistake - linked to the wrong thread. - fixed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get the same as Ber. You sure it's in AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

can't see a problem with it, a question im sure a few people have asked, if you dont like it dont read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

afterhours wrote:
    boards.ie/vbulletin > Rec > After Hours
    Any boards'ers ever die?

Tis in AH alrite

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I agree that this thread is in bad taste, however aren't many of the threads in AH of that ilk?
    I understand that you are having a bad time at the mo and the thread in question did not help your frame of mind. Many threads will have the same effect on people for different reasons. Just ignore it till it goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Link is working now. I think it seems like someone trying to get a vicarious thrill out of death. He doesn't suggest a tribute, or rememberence, or seem to have any sort of compassion about it. It just looks like drama for the sake of drama.

Ruthie: tisnt even that - he died nearly two years ago. i just think its in ****e taste, and should've been shut down a while ago, especially considering at least one of the deaths thats mentioned in it never happened and said user is still around, just banned from boards these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i've thought about it before, in general about forums and how it must have happened without anyone ever noticing, but i don't know what i think about it being said outloud. He didn't word the topic very well or sensitvely. And there is a lot of pi$$ taking going on tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's been annoying me for a while.

I wouldn't mind such a thread, except that you get a whole pile of tossers (including the OP) taking the piss, despite serious answers being given.

But how close is too close to the bone? Should I lock it because myself and large chunk of others are personally offended? Had the OP or any other poster not mentioned Mark's handle, would the pisstaking seem like anything more than the usual AH tripe?

I'm not sure if you see what I'm getting at.

As for the oeNeo jokes....well I'd expect the CS kids to come along into such a thread with some immature crap. Par for the course.

TBH I'm torn between "Show some respect you muppets" and "It's only AH".
    :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

TheGrinch is just annoyed because he got banned.. would this thread even be here if he didn't get banned? Whether the thread stays or not is the mods decision to make at the end of the day, not yours TheGrinch.. I wasn't taking the piss when I started it, if you read the first post I said I was "just curious".

Well i mean theres a reason i phrased this thread as a question and didnt outright slate the thread, which'd be the same reason as yours.

However, there are three things that rile me beyond belief which is
    1)i just plain dont like the way the thread started and has gone,
    2)i find it close to the bone
    and
    3)the op really pissed me off with his reply to me, hence why i got annoyed and thus got banned.

I just dont think its a suitable topic for people just to sit around and talk the piss out of - which is essentially whats happened. just reading it there, there are 60 complete piss take posts on that thread, and i really dont think its on. if people can sit on AH and lambast people following Liam Lawlors death for "not respecting the dead", can we not at least show some ****ing decorum on the matter at a different time? apparently not.

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    TheGrinch is just annoyed because he got banned.. would this thread even be here if he didn't get banned? Whether the thread stays or not is the mods decision to make at the end of the day, not yours TheGrinch.. I wasn't taking the piss when I started it, if you read the first post I said I was "just curious".
    ^CwAzY^ - i knew i was gonna get banned. in fact, if i'd thought about it, my post would've been a lot more abusive.

and i know its the mods decision - which is why i brought it to feedback to discuss it.

Actually no, sorry, you're right. if i hadnt been banned i'd be lobbying on thread for it to be closed instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

^CwAzY^ - i knew i was gonna get banned. in fact, if i'd thought about it, my post would've been a lot more abusive.

I'm scared :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not surprised at your reaction to ^CwAzY^s reply Grinch, it was rather insensitive.

That thread makes me sad whenever I see it on the front page of Afterhours :( I don't think it should be locked though, it is a constant reminder to me that we are all human and one should enjoy life every day as the next day may not come.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the thread stays.
    it breaks no rules, and i refuse to close any thread becasue people find it distasteful tbh.

if people disagree with it, and i can see why, and i can understand why, and i can even empathise, but at the end of the day, then i would suggest that they just dont read it once they find out about it.

there will always be threads here that we find distasteful. i find the thread on george best being a drunken waster distasteful, but i just got to get on with it. sure, it annoys me that people refuse to have sympathy and hold such a black and white view, but really, its just me being annoyed. me being annoyed is not justification to close a thread.

otherwise id be looking to have have the forums here closed off :)

although, i must admit that i do find it morbidly facinating to know if people from boards.ie have died, disappeared, gotten pregnant, married, turned into homosexual clergy etc.
    i think its just human curiosity.

and we dont all have the same level of respect for certain things, as others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

This kind of shíte is why I dont bother to read AH anymore.

I agree with TheGrinch....the thread and the písstakers on it are in very poor taste. We're talking about a real person here folks. Just because most people replying didn't know him doesnt mean it was the same for everyone.

Have a bit of respect ffs.

its slowly drifting off the front page - hopefully it'll be gone and i'll be satisfied with that.

^CwAzY^ - your level of mature posting leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I also think its in poor taste - and thought moderators had a certain amount of poetic license when choosing which threads to lock etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I also think its in poor taste - and thought moderators had a certain amount of poetic license when choosing which threads to lock etc.?

Reactor banned from FS Mobiles for having a moustache :D

I like the idea of the thread for the reasons Gordon suggested. But it could have done without all the "funny people".

I probably wouldnt have minded it at all if it hadnt become a pisstake.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I probably wouldnt have minded it at all if it hadnt become a pisstake.

then no offence, but learn to be more tolerant.

as someone said, what else would you expect in AH. if the topic came up in the pub, youd get the same wisecracks, and if anyone said to stop becuase its a serious conversation, i can think of a few different answers youd get....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Poetic Licence? More like licence.

Actually poetic licence would be

Oh thread of woe,
    Oh how you do flow,
    like a distasteful stench,
    I fear I must commence,
    to close without much sorrow.

So if a mod came up with a ryhme to explain their actions they could do what they want.

That'd be a fun rule.

if the topic came up in the pub, youd get the same wisecracks, and if anyone said to stop becuase its a serious conversation, i can think of a few different answers youd get....

Oh really? care to share some? i'd disagree with you on that point tbh, i'd say if you said to stop because its a serious conversation, most people would have teh cop on and decorum to stop.

Also, that thread changes very very quickly depending on whether its taken seriously or not, - i don't think it is a case of being more tolerant in that situation. If it was your bog standard bull**** AH thread and i'd done the same thing then i'd agree with you, i should have been more tolerant, however do you honestly think its right for all the bull**** that there is in that thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Theres certainly nothing wrong with the question but what it degenerated into certainly is a bit dubious. It should be locked really seeing as the vast bulk of replies are stupid "almost died" wisecracks.

Still though - never any excuse for abuse! Learning the hard way is no fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Oh really? care to share some? i'd disagree with you on that point tbh, i'd say if you said to stop because its a serious conversation, most people would have teh cop on and decorum to stop.

Also, that thread changes very very quickly depending on whether its taken seriously or not, - i don't think it is a case of being more tolerant in that situation. If it was your bog standard bull**** AH thread and i'd done the same thing then i'd agree with you, i should have been more tolerant, however do you honestly think its right for all the bull**** that there is in that thread?

I have to agree with you on this. I wonder if somebody started a thread with the Subjact line "How many boards women have been raped?" or "How many boards people have been sexually abused" would the same "tolerance" be applied. The thread is beyond very bad taste imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Hobart wrote:
    I have to agree with you on this. I wonder if somebody started a thread with the Subjact line "How many boards women have been raped?" or "How many boards people have been sexually abused" would the same "tolerance" be applied. The thread is beyond very bad taste imo.

Okay now in all fairness they are two wholly different things and trying to compare is reeking of desperation to validate a somewhat lost point.

I agree the thread itself is silly, but the original question isn't as taboo as you seem to think it is. Its a curious question and I actually wondered that myself one day.

People die. Its a natural thing and one thats unavoidable. Rape isn't part of natures cycle. Okay, do dying young, or the like, isn't natural, but its still death, a part of life we all have to accept.

I can assure you however I've never thought to wonder how many boards members were ever abused. Or raped for that matter.

I think what you just said is about as tasteless as the personnal image you have of the thread.

edit: Isee the guy has been banned for creating the obscene abuse thread but regardless the point remains the same irelevant to the user :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Okay now in all fairness they are two wholly different things and trying to compare is reeking of desperation to validate a somewhat lost point.
    Firstly, I am not comapring the subject matter. Secondly why should these subjects not be discussed, in a similar manner? Would people find them as distasteful?
    I agree the thread itself is silly, but the original question isn't as taboo as you seem to think it is. Its a curious question and I actually wondered that myself one day.
    Taboo? What's taboo about Rape and Sexual abuse? Please enlighten me.
    People die. Its a natural thing and one thats unavoidable. Rape isn't part of natures cycle. Okay, do dying young, or the like, isn't natural, but its still death, a part of life we all have to accept.
    Irrelevant point tbh.
    I can assure you however I've never thought to wonder how many boards members were ever abused. Or raped for that matter.
    So because YOU never thought of it makes it ok not to be discussed?
    I think what you just said is about as tasteless as the personnal image you have of the thread.
    But taste is not a factor is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Find myself agree'n with TheGrinch aswell....if it had stayed somewhat civilised then like leave it alone. But threading on what is a sensitive topic for most n then just pissing on it are quite different...

As for the thing of people taking the piss out of it in the pub...i don't know who you hang around with..but anytime i've ever been in a pub bring'n up a death where some people would know the person would be a sober topic for all....

Advertisement