Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - Budget advice

• 30-11-2005 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi.

I'm trying to budget additional costs to add to the house when we move in end of Jan.
    Can you help me budget the total cost including labour

1. €2500 Kitchen appliances (Fridge/Freezer, washing machine, cooker, hob, dishwasher) Compared prices between DID, Powercity, Currys, Dixons and DID seem to be the best. Brands are Bosch, Zanussi, Hotpoint. Not integrated

2. Flooring (Semi-solid downstairs and laminate upstairs, carpet in the stairs)
    €3000 for 106sq m. incl. labour

Is that reasonable ?
    Also, should I go North or in the UK to purchase the flooring and some of the Kitchen appliances ? WEEE will apply here (~€120) + delivery cost

Thanks for you advices
    Gaetan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

for your cooker etc ring 8307411 baize house in glasnevin i got everything for 2 grand.

Your flooring is the same as mine but you wont get it that cheap in labour im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Gaetan,

I've just recently moved into a new house myself in the past 6 months and maybe be able to offer some help.

2.5k for kitchen appliances is exactly what i paid for all the above in power city. The only one i have integrated is the oven and hob. The rest are standalone.

On the flooring downstairs for that size it sounds a very good deal to me, i know people who have spent that on their sitting room alone. So it sounds good to me. Its always worth looking up north for furniture and flooring for sure. Appliances i prefer (as they are electrical and more a risk of having to return them) to purchase close to the house.

Upstairs laminate, you could do that yourself, there is nothing to it at all. I floored the two spare rooms (good size) up stairs myself for little over €360 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

Thanks for the quick replies.

I compared prices in Powercity to other shops just as a mark but I won't buy from them anymore. Bad experience and I found out that some of their items are not new but refurbished.

I'll check out Baize house in Glasnevin.

About the flooring, it's all about labour cost. How much would it cost ? I'll take your advice iregk and try and fit it myself. Which tools do you recommend to get to do a good job ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hi Gaetan,
    Sorry to sound like a moan, but the words DID Electrical send a shiver down my spine. Myself and many friends have had nothing but nightmares with those shops. From the usual problems like deliveries being late/not turning up, all the way through to the products being pure rubbish, and them refusing to replace or repair them.

This maybe isnt the place to post this, but I highly advise you buy nothing from DID, pay the extra and get stuff that works. You dont need the hassle when you've just moved.

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi m8, also just so you dont get a shock baize also sell refurb but all my stuff was new so make sure ya ask for new. all mine was integrated so you should be cheaper again. i checked the likes of harvey norman and each item was roughly 150 euro cheaper. let us know how you get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

I got all my kitchen appliances from the UK delivered to my door within a week of the order. The pallet cost was 92 pounds but I calculated that I saved over 40% on buying the same stuff here. The service and delivery were first class and totally hassle free and paying by credit card was done over the phone by them ringing me.

http://www.trade-appliances.co.uk

Would never, ever buy appliances in this country again and only wish the same company did TV's !!!!

Fatboy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lad

We bought all our appliances (smeg and Baumatic) on ebay.co.uk.

We bought them all off a Powerseller called Secondtek.

For example a Baumatic Island hood we priced here for 799 euro (as its an Island hood it is way more expensive!!) we got it for 359 euro.

We bought a pallet load of appliances so this took down the prices.

A few of the items we won are below.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7561310508&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7562698512&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭whippet

i recently purcahsed all Siemens gear from west and gardner (downstairs in clearys). List price may seem expensive but they are willing to negotiate over a large purchase. Service and delivery times were spot on. And as for the quality of the gear .. brilliant. I would advise that for equipment that you will be using every day be prepared to pay a little more for quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

gqma0 wrote:
    About the flooring, it's all about labour cost. How much would it cost ? I'll take your advice iregk and try and fit it myself. Which tools do you recommend to get to do a good job ?

Well in b&q you can get a laminate flooring kit, costs about €6 in that your get spacers (put them around the edge to give you your 10mm gap) tapping blocks
    and the s bar (this is for tapping around the edge). Apart from that a hammer and a good saw, id recommend an electic saw (altough i put my own down with a hand saw) as when your doing the long edge it can be extremely useful.

Seriously though, i've never put them down until i did my own and the amount of people who comment on them is everyone who seems them so its not overly hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Thanks all for the tips. Phoned Blaize House and intend to visit them over the festive season to see what they have etc. Was also mega impressed with the trade applicance site Fatboypee. Good prices too but have to allow for shipping and stg difference. Have been checking out Secondtek Yop but haven't seen what I want there yet. I will certainly be going back to all of them again over the coming months.

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the tips. Phoned Blaize House and intend to visit them over the festive season to see what they have etc. Was also mega impressed with the trade applicance site Fatboypee. Good prices too but have to allow for shipping and stg difference. Have been checking out Secondtek Yop but haven't seen what I want there yet. I will certainly be going back to all of them again over the coming months.

yeah sterling's the kicker but I found it was still worth it (bought a smeg a2/5 range cooker for €2300 that retaillers here wanted 4+ grand for here !)

FBP.

Nice one faboypee. I am lusting after one of those cookers. Did you get a 3 or 4 oven, do you mind me asking? Did you get hood and the lot from them?

All,

Thanks for your advices

trade-appliances are doing nice packages and I will surely contact them. I got a van so I will also checkout the shops in NI online and compare prices.

I know baize from Forest road (just down from where I live) and they didn't have the same brands or color when I checked them out.

delivery and EMC adds up quickly when you buy here.

Thanks all
    Will let you know if I got a good deal

Nice one faboypee. I am lusting after one of those cookers. Did you get a 3 or 4 oven, do you mind me asking? Did you get hood and the lot from them?

Sadly ours is only the double oven one, the biggest we could get for the 1metre range.
    We got this one in black having first looked it over in john-lewis in London (serious bit of kit, great quality).

http://www.trade-appliances.co.uk/_96_Smeg_A2-5.html

These go up to 120cm but only again in double oven:

http://www.trade-appliances.co.uk/_99_Smeg_A3-5.html

We were looking at lacanche cookers (trade-appliances dont do them anymore) but if you really want quality then take a look at them. You can buy from different outlets but they are, even with discounts at least 5k for the 110 3 oven ones..
    The ultimate, should you have room:
    http://www.fdef.co.uk/lacanche/pages/fontenay.htm

Hoods, didnt buy one yet, got a chimney with twin extractor built in...

FBP.

Hi FBP, now the lacanche is really out of my league! I was looking at the Smeg you bought online last night...nice cooker. Hopefully the budget will stretch to that. I don't think a 3/4 oven is within our price range at the mo, sad to say. But two oven is much better than one oven models. You seem to have got a great deal on everything. I will certainly be shopping around over Christmas and the New Year for all that stuff. Have to get some bargains!!!!!! Thanks again.

Hi FBP, now the lacanche is really out of my league! I was looking at the Smeg you bought online last night...nice cooker. Hopefully the budget will stretch to that. I don't think a 3/4 oven is within our price range at the mo, sad to say. But two oven is much better than one oven models. You seem to have got a great deal on everything. I will certainly be shopping around over Christmas and the New Year for all that stuff. Have to get some bargains!!!!!! Thanks again.

yep, we got a good deal, but you can get one too. The choices we went with were the fischer & Paykell, baumatic or smeg. Fischer are v.good but only do single oven at 120cm and smeg just topped out for quality. We got:

Hotpoint built in fridge freezer
    zanussi built in under counter freezer
    smeg stainless steel dishwasher
    smeg a2/a5 anthracite cooker
    rangemaster ceramic sink (retails here for 430 euro, got it for £125 pounds)

all delivered for €4200

no way any retailler here could come close to that.

FBP.

FPB, thanks for being so frank. That was a great deal. When I phoned Baize House they were saying around €2k min for a double oven rangemaster. Will most certainly be doing homework around the Jan sales in all the Irish retailer and then armed with that info be going online bigtime. Have start saving a few bucks just redid the house build budget and I am depressed at the amount of money still to go out.....guess it will be worth it in the end.

FPB, thanks for being so frank. That was a great deal. When I phoned Baize House they were saying around €2k min for a double oven rangemaster. Will most certainly be doing homework around the Jan sales in all the Irish retailer and then armed with that info be going online bigtime. Have start saving a few bucks just redid the house build budget and I am depressed at the amount of money still to go out.....guess it will be worth it in the end.

heeheeheeee , sorry, not making fun of you, just been there a million times and we're not moved in yet ! Depressed, more depressed, get a loan, still not enough....get another loan...
    have to re-mortgage once the house is finished now...:mad: ... the usual stuff, nothing extravagant either ,just stuff we think we need to finish it well and not skimp on a new house :mad: ....

my advice, don't go near rangemaster... tacky and cheap and flimsy... if buying here Waterford Stanley are 'ok'.....or fischer and paykell.

IF you're looking for flooring then you cant' get better than brooks...

PM-Me if you want the lady I dealt with in Trade-Appliances, she was fantastic and did her best to get me even more discount on what I bought !

FBP.

Hi All,

Just to give you an update.

After browsing the web for the best value, I finally settled for a shop in Newry called

ROCK Domestic Appliance Centre
    http://www.4ni.co.uk/listing.asp?cat=219&company=98634&level1=3

They're an official Electrolux/Zanussi rework centre and the units are new.

Also, I compared prices around and they're the cheapest and this is a good brand. Prices compared with buy4now.ie, DID, Powercity and ukpricerunner

A few prices @ Rock

Integrated Fridge/freezer half/half
    Zanussi (ZI918/12K) for £380
    Electrolux (ERN2821) for £370

Built in single oven
    ELECTROLUX EOB6636X for £280

Hob
    Electrolux EHP6602 £180

Washer-Dryer
    Zanussi WJD1257 £300 (This one is €639 at DID electrical vs €443@ROCK)

Delivery to Dublin £55

we decided to go with a BOSCH Washer-Dryer because they're 2y warranty (the only ones) and they're reliable and we found it at

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk for £459 and they deliver to ROI for £35. This one costs £541 @ trade-appliances

Cheers
    Gaetan

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭afcdave

Hey,

This is not directly related but I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with Diamond Living? I was out in their place in airside today and they have some reasonably high spec furniture for a good price. I've never heard of them though, are they safe enough to deal with?

Cheers,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

If you buy in England/NI, does that mean your warranty on the appliance is null and void?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JACKSPRATT

Hi,

Im looking to spend 2,500-3,000 euro on a range cooker, gas hob, electric dual or single oven as will also have neff or miele integrated oven, shoulder high...looking for advice on best all round package/brand....
    We also need to buy fridge, freezer, washing machine/dryer, wine cooler, combi mircowave & dishwasher....so anyone who can advise companies who do best bundles much appreciated.....deciding on the best range cooker for my budget seems to be hardest though as most searches just advertise and not review/compare....tks in advance folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

JACKSPRATT wrote: »
    Hi,

Im looking to spend 2,500-3,000 euro on a range cooker, gas hob, electric dual or single oven as will also have neff or miele integrated oven, shoulder high...looking for advice on best all round package/brand....
    We also need to buy fridge, freezer, washing machine/dryer, wine cooler, combi mircowave & dishwasher....so anyone who can advise companies who do best bundles much appreciated.....deciding on the best range cooker for my budget seems to be hardest though as most searches just advertise and not review/compare....tks in advance folks.

This thread is 5 years old so I think the prices could be a bit out of date!

Advertisement