Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan control on HTPC

Options
  • 30-11-2005 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

I've rececntly got a HTCP from Komplett and the fans on it appear to be running full all the time wich makes it quite noisy. Can I control the speed with software? Is this a good/bad idea? Will I be able to get the fans to automaticly speed up when required?
    I know very little about this so please dont be too technical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You can buy fan controllers. It's hard to avoid being technical when you're talking about quieting down your PC. How little do you know? Would you feel comfortable replacing the PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Ah, sure I know a fair bit I suppose - am just lazy - was hoping there was an easy way to sort it.
    I could replace the PSU.
    Does my computer (or computers in general) leave all the fans running at full pelt all the time like it seems. Does it have no fan control at all?

Can software control the speed or are the programs out there for this only of any use after you have installed hardware fan control?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

I found the bios for my AMD 64 system (epox motherboard) allowed me to control the cpu fan. So i cut back the speed by about 50% and watched the temps for a while and it worked fine. Maybe you might have something like that available to you in the bios advanced options.

The two case fans are nice and quiet but the friggin' fan on the northbridge chip, that's something else. It's gonna have to go one of the days, considering it sits under the tv!

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

zalaman have some good, cheap enough passive NB heatsinks. http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_23_46/products_id/257

For pointers on keeping your PC quiet, check here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=276210

Advertisement