Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless 56k!

• 30-11-2005 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

now i know this is going to sound stupid....

my bro uses 56k i n his house. he doesnt use the net much so it suits him. however the socket is downstairs and pc upstairs. can anyone recommend a wireless 56k modem?

I have found this but there are mixed reports regarding sp2.

http://www.shop.bt.com/invt/cay227

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

didnt know there was such a thing
    interesting though as i only have isdn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

the link above should do the trick. but its the only link i can find. are there anyother ways around above problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

More expensive way would be to have basic pc server. Leave it beside the telephone point and have it share out the internet through wireless.

100(Second hand pc) + 30(wireless nic) + 0(A little bit of time to set it up) = 130

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

I take it from your post that you have 2 systems in the house or are you lugging the computer downstairs every time you want to use it :)
    I had a set up in my place where one computer was downstairs beside the telephone socket that was the system that most people used. I had one computer upstairs and one laptop.

What I did first was put a wireless card in the computer downstairs (the others already had wireless) and set up internet connection sharing on it. The dialup connction will then show up in the network connections of every system connected to the network.

So you could pick up 2 wireless cards and set up an adhoc network. Might be more expensive but the card would come in useful if broadband became available there or if you moved where as the 56k modem would be completely useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I was so cool back in the day I actually had a 3Com 56k officelink router. Get something along those lines and buy a wireless access point.

Get a wireless card on your pc upstairs and voilá you are sorted. Assuming networking is your thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement