Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a warmfill insulation solution for houses with 9" Cavity blocks

Options
  • 30-11-2005 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Any info apprecieted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Warmfill and similar systems be they blown fibre or pearl do not have the freedom to move / expand in the small cavity of a 9" block.

What they would have to is drill two holes for each block to fill the cavity with insulation, time consuming and probably leave your house looking like a Swiss cheese plus there may be structural problems later.

If you have a contractor telling you it can be done, be real excited and tell him your brother in law will have to eat humble pie next time he uses the Thermal Imaging Camera on your house.

I investigated this subject for more than six months including travelling to the UK and America investigating "Low Rise Foam", it came close but no success because of the angles and mortar bed between the courses preventing the insulation from travelling through the cavities.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Thank you very much for this information

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

have a 9" cavity block house and have been told it cannot be done. there was one co. (in golden pages) who said they could do it - another firm advised avoiding as it is not technically possible. this is backed up in sustainable energy irelands publication on insulated a house on

www.irish-energy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 29 inertia99

Hi guys, interesting stuff. A company in operation for a long number of years has given me a quote for 9" cavity block insulation, telling me that they are the only company in Ireland who offer this particular product and can do cavity block insulation.

Would you advise giving it a go or avoiding? You all seem to know more about it than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how are they suggesting they insulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

inertia99 wrote:
    Hi guys, interesting stuff. A company in operation for a long number of years has given me a quote for 9" cavity block insulation, telling me that they are the only company in Ireland who offer this particular product and can do cavity block insulation.

Would you advise giving it a go or avoiding? You all seem to know more about it than I do.

just want to confirm, is this a new build or renovation of existing house?

if a new build i was in the exact situation some months ago..

have a read on their website, the certs make interesting reading,
    okay in theory it's fine just about meeting the regs (depending on your
    cavity width)

my engineer didn't like the idea of all the holes drilled in the house
    so i ended up using the aeroboard platinium in the cavities
    (go for a wider cavity if you can) you'll meet the regs using 65mm
    and have a look at viking houses' web site (a regular poster) it makes very interesting reading.

They are suggesting injecting aerolite foam into the cavity blocks. It is a house built in the early 70s, semi d of standard 9" cavity block construction. Thanks all for comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If its a new build couldnt they just create a cavity wall rather then using the 9" cavity blocks?
    Other than that all I can think of is that they are filling each block with foam before they lay it....:confused:

Thanks Greebo. It is not a new build but a retro job to a 70s cavity block house.

sorry, it took me about 20 mins to finish my post so I missed your earlier reply...
    Id be very wary of it, how can they possibly tell if the have done it properly?
    More importantly, how can you tell.
    Id want to see 2 holes in my wall every foot or so to make sure it was all done, but even then I dont think Id enjoy sleeping upstairs on a swiss cheese house...

I think your best bet is to see what sort of insulation they have between the interior plasterboard and the wall.
    Take that down, put it better, modern stuff and reslab with insulation backed plasterboard.
    You will loose a bit of your room (like an inch or so (depending on whats already there) but you will be warm :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. More thinking along those lines myself now. Would be nice to have the easy option though

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Got Slabs with about an inch or so of insulation on the back put up in all my gable wall rooms (2 bedrooms and a garage conversion). Cant believe the difference its made to the rooms. Retains heat for ages now, whereas beforehand once the heating went off, the rooms would be freezing (and never really got warm).

Want to insulate my cheap kitchen extension ceiling. Can I screw these insulate backed slabs through existing ceiling into joists and skim?

garlad wrote:
    Want to insulate my cheap kitchen extension ceiling. Can I screw these insulate backed slabs through existing ceiling into joists and skim?
    Might be easier (i.e. not have to pay a plasterer) to take off the tiles and put in some insulation from above, like in your attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

GreeBo,
    Dont have tiles mate! Just a tar/felt flat roof

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

We built this house in Wicklow and put 6 inches of Granitewool insulation on the outside of the 9 inch cavity block wall. External insulation works a lot better than drylining because you eliminate all the cold bridges.

exte.jpeg

Any recommended companies that people have had good experiences with for putting in insulation backed plasterboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

just leave the internal walls as they are, apply the insulated plasterboard and skim, less mess less time spent less rubbish to dispose of more dosh in your pocket, any builder / contractor would have no bother doing this job

Advertisement