Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Manufacturers To Penalise Online Retailers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Freddie59 wrote:
    Of course it is. You're dead right. Rip-off Ireland does not exist.:eek:

So VAT did go up 8%?
    Freddie59 wrote:
    Yes. We shouldn't be complaining at all. Just hand over the dosh and don't volunteer any opinions or complain.:rolleyes:
    What people should do is try to understand, know facts and then come to an opinion. To just hand over your money or just complain are equally stupid in my eyes. If you want to refuse to actually understand how the world works and rant and rave becasue somebody tells you it is a rip off good for you. Opinion is worth nothing if it has no basis on fact.

You keep saying they restrict choice for example yet that means nothing as there is no explanation and you still get to choose where to spend your money. It is just a vacant statement

You want to belive what you want that is fine but don't expect somebody to belive it just becasue you keep saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Freddie59 wrote:
    Sony have been trading on a name for years. Went into a Sony Centre recently and, for some reason, a Philips 42" Plasma was on display next to a similar Sony. The difference was staggering. The Philips picture quality was excellent, and as for the Sony............well let's just say it didn't cut it. The Philips was €600 cheaper.:rolleyes:

Amen brother.

I used to buy a lot of Sony products too but I've wised up after some bad experiences. I'm the proud owner of a two year old 32" Philips widescreen and I have yet to see a Sony equivalent to come even close to it. You said it, they've been trading on a name for years now and their products don't justify the prices.

This news doesn't bother me - I don't buy Sony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

So VAT did go up 8%?
    You want to belive what you want that is fine but don't expect somebody to belive it just becasue you keep saying it.

You just don't know when to quit do you?:rolleyes:

OK - hands up!! They were wrong on the VAT!:o Crime of the Century!:D

I see you've conveniently omitted commenting on these:

TOBACCO products sold here are 84 per cent higher than the EU average

ALCOHOL is 82 per cent more costly than the EU average

TEA and coffee are on average 46 per cent more expensive than the rest of Europe

VEGETABLES are 43 per cent above the average price in the EU

Indeed for every Eur1.40 an Irish shopper is forced to shell out their Spanish and German counterparts only have to part with 80 cent.

Irish consumers now pay Eur49 more for their weekly groceries than their European neighbours.

And Irelands credit card rates (16.7 per cent on average) are now almost 40 per cent higher than any other country in Europe.

In particular, there are massive price differences in the car insurance market and this reporter. posing as a 28-year-old provisional driver saved Eur747 by shopping around.

And I haven't even touched on new car prices, VRT, health care charges, electricty prices. and gas prices.:eek:

Now, Morning Star, in fairness you have slated me for even suggesting that there is any hint of a rip-off in this country. I don't think that discussing the situation can even come close to being described as a rant. Or would you prefer that it was swept under the carpet and ignored? To say that you are behaving in a very insular fashion is putting it mildly. Happy New Year once again!:D

Freddie59 wrote:

Now, Morning Star, in fairness you have slated me for even suggesting that there is any hint of a rip-off in this country. I don't think that discussing the situation can even come close to being described as a rant. Or would you prefer that it was swept under the carpet and ignored? To say that you are behaving in a very insular fashion is putting it mildly. Happy New Year once again!:D

WHat you seem to have a problem with is understanding that high costs of a good does not make it a rip off and high prices on somethings does not make everything a rip off.
    The article is bias in it's entirety.

A pint of beer in bar in France is higher than here. So rip off France. Alcohol under certain cicumstance can be said to be either cheaper or more expensive depending on the bias.

People get more compensation in this country than any other European country so our insurance is more expensive. THat is business. You want cheaper insurance than people get lss money campaign for that instead of complaining about high insurance.

Tobaco is more expensive in the UK. It has a penalty tax to discourage use and is a luxury good.

Petrol is cheaper here than the UK too so are you going to go on about that?

The minimum hourly rate here is one of the highest in Europe.

Insurance here is more expensive than most

Property prices and new companies mean that while historical business have low rent or no rent new companies own no property in the market so pay higher rents. Higher rents higher outgoings mean more expensive.

Goods get more expensive when everybody can afford them. A basic rule of economics. You want cheaper good go to Itally where the only way of getting a job is through a friend.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/eco_gdp_cap

WE have more money

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/tax_tot_tax_wed_sin_wor

They pay more tax on their income

Before you cry "stealth tax" learn the meaning. It refers to a tax on one thing used for another. For example speeding fine money paid used to fund childcare.

Payment for use such as toll, bin charges, vrt etc... are not double or stealth tax. THey are a charge or tax for use nothing more or less.

if your goods are cheap it doesn't matter if you are unable to pay for them becasue you haven't got a job.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/lab_une

I slated your understanding of why and how goods are more expensive depending on how you look at. I don't know how old you are or if you spent much time out of this country but let me say I remeber the poverty in this country and I have seen it else where. We are a rich country and able to take care of ourselves and those less fortunate than others. It sickens me to hear people moan about how they have to pay an extra on luxuries so somebody can have a decent wage and then compare it to a country where the minimum wage is less than 50% ours. Do you actually want somebody to live in poverty so you get a cheap camcorder?
    Why do you think people from these countries where everything is so cheap come to live here? It is becasue they can get a job! You don't have to buy expensive goods shop around.
    You have complete control over how you live you life and spend you money . You want to spend you time beliveing secont rate journalism without question that is your choice. You want to get cheaper goods regardless of the true cost good for you. You want to tell me how it so in a bias form you are out of luck as it appears I know a hell of a lot more on the subject and put more thought into it. I may not have quoted prices but you can check it out. Somethings are cheaper here some or not how that is a rip off in a low tax economy you must explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frameless59

WHat you seem to have a problem with is understanding that high costs of a good does not make it a rip off and high prices on somethings does not make everything a rip off.
    The article is bias in it's entirety..

You're entitled to YOUR opinion.:D
    A pint of beer in bar in France is higher than here. So rip off France. Alcohol under certain cicumstance can be said to be either cheaper or more expensive depending on the bias...

I never said that rip-off didn't exist in other countries.....so you're warming to the idea....:o And a bottle of Bacardi is €30 here....it's €10 in Spain.:p
    People get more compensation in this country than any other European country so our insurance is more expensive. THat is business. You want cheaper insurance than people get lss money campaign for that instead of complaining about high insurance.

Probably was the case. Now, with the PIAB the Insurers themselves agree that claims have fallen substantially. Of course it hasn't been reflected in the premiums.;) A young driver in Germany is insured at a low rate initially. If he messes up he is loaded. Here it's a case of you're guilty until proven innocent. NOTHING can justify the exorbitant insurance costs. My house insurance is twice the price of my car insurance. It used to be the reverse.:rolleyes:

Tobaco is more expensive in the UK. It has a penalty tax to discourage use and is a luxury good.

And way cheaper everywhere else in the EU....you wouldn't be cherrypicking now....would you. Oops....I forgot.....I don't understand what that is!:eek:
    Petrol is cheaper here than the UK too so are you going to go on about that?.
    Swings and roundabouts!;)
    The minimum hourly rate here is one of the highest in Europe.

MAGNIFICENT! People were underpaid here for far too long!:mad:

Property prices and new companies mean that while historical business have low rent or no rent new companies own no property in the market so pay higher rents. Higher rents higher outgoings mean more expensive.

Of course it does.........NOT!!!:p
    Goods get more expensive when everybody can afford them. A basic rule of economics. You want cheaper good go to Itally where the only way of getting a job is through a friend.

Italy is probably the most corrupt Country in Europe. Well done MS.......very good example.:rolleyes:

Before you cry "stealth tax" learn the meaning. It refers to a tax on one thing used for another. For example speeding fine money paid used to fund childcare.

Well done. Is that why the ROAD TAX FUND goes to fund everything......apart from road infrastructure? Rip-off Ireland at it's very best!!
    Payment for use such as toll, bin charges, vrt etc... are not double or stealth tax. THey are a charge or tax for use nothing more or less.

They are Rates by the back door. Generally accepted by people of all political persuasions.:)

I slated your understanding of why and how goods are more expensive depending on how you look at. I don't know how old you are or if you spent much time out of this country but let me say I remeber the poverty in this country and I have seen it else where.

Don't quote me about poverty and hard times my friend. I paid a mortgage with an interest rate of 16%.

We are a rich country and able to take care of ourselves and those less fortunate than others. It sickens me to hear people moan about how they have to pay an extra on luxuries so somebody can have a decent wage and then compare it to a country where the minimum wage is less than 50% ours. Do you actually want somebody to live in poverty so you get a cheap camcorder?

Actually I'm sure you mean that a small lucky few in this country are rich. Certainly not me! But I forgot - that's where your loyalties appear to lie.:o
    Why do you think people from these countries where everything is so cheap come to live here? It is becasue they can get a job! You don't have to buy expensive goods shop around.

Ehh....where exactly? Price apair of Levis Jeans or, say, a Philips widescreen TV. Price doesn't vary. Practically the same in all outlets. Go to Airside Retail Park and visit the local electrical stores. You'll be hard pushed to find a variance in price for the exact same item.;)
    You have complete control over how you live you life and spend you money . You want to spend you time beliveing secont rate journalism without question that is your choice. You want to get cheaper goods regardless of the true cost good for you.

I just want cheaper goods at a fair price.....like the rest of the country.
    You want to tell me how it so in a bias form you are out of luck as it appears I know a hell of a lot more on the subject and put more thought into it. I may not have quoted prices but you can check it out. Somethings are cheaper here some or not how that is a rip off in a low tax economy you must explain.

Ah you're probably right. There's no rip-offs in this country.....and the moon landings were fake.......the Americans didn't detonate an a-bomb......and Ireland qualified for the 2006 World Cup.:eek:

Happy New Year again!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Rodo

To be honest there is a clear business sense to this and it is not just strictly a rip off. Basically the bricks and mortar shops get a discount due to floor display and/or space within the store. AS the on-line stores don't have floor space they aren't offered the discount. There is an element of protection of old allies but they are also under threat from the stores themselves threatening not to stock the items if they are sold at discounts to on-line stores.
    It is a little more complex than a simple attempt to get people to pay more. It is more a leveling of advantages.

You may get on your moral high horse but once you do that the protection of traditional stores that have existed for up to 100 years deserve to be kept.

I’m sure Dunne’s, Tesco, etc had that in carved in granite as it ruined businesses, and probably a lot of family run businesses that had existed for what ? Perhaps 100 years. 
    I’m also sure that the prominent IRISH business (not to be mentioned) had it in mind when they lulled their suppliers in a false sense of security by giving them large orders, leaving the supplier no option but to drop their other business and then telling them after they did so that if they didn’t drop their prices they would pull the plug. Businesses went bankrupt over this practice. But that’s BUSINESS

The big fish suddenly found that around the reef, they are bigger fish. i.e., The large bricks and mortar, who demolished the ‘little’ bricks and mortar now they are finding out with the realization of the internet what may be, or not be monopolistic. And they don’t like the newer bigger cheaper fish.

But they’ll have to live with it. A shame but that’s BUSINESS.
    Some will embrace the new technology, and thrive, some won’t. That’s BUSINESS

Why couldn’t the online stores avail of a ‘discount’?
    Admittedly they won’t be able to put the supplier’s product in a prominent place like the top, or end of an aisle, but why not at a prominent place where every visitor to the site would see?
    Online suppliers who would have large traffic and turnover surely get some sort of discount??

Have your product on the end of an aisle where 300 people might pass by it a day, or have your product visible on a prominent site that has 3000 people visiting it a day.

The same way companies may, or may not apply the ABC principle of Purchasing.
    The option is there if you want to use it.
    As for cartels, monopolies, etc, they are all over the place. You may like to think that they are not, but they are.

I worked in Purchasing, and Distribution for over a decade, and saw it.

As for the statement that the subject matter of this makes clear business sense.
    It does to the people who are now looking over their shoulder at new technology bringing new business rivals, and cheaper prices.

To be honest Morning Star’s first post comes across like a bad commerce class?
    Clear business sense. Where???? I suppose it is if you’re concerned that the businesses or industries you supply are under threat from buying online.

Not a rip-off? Of course it’s a rip-off if online companies are being penalized for being able to supply the product cheaper.

There is an element of protection of old allies. Let me see if I can sum up that statement in one word. CARTEL ?????

They are all over the place, From the price fixing Supermarkets, etc right down to the guys who sell on stalls, or the guys who do Wedding videos,
    Personally I’d be very surprised if the opening post of this topic is true. That Sony started all this. When all is said and done, they should not really be concerned. If anything they’re production has probably risen. And more than likely their marketing director is now signing on if he can’t grasp the potential of ecommerce.

Of course business will suffer, but will they drop their prices
    Answer: NO
    Their managers won’t want to downgrade themselves from a Merc to an Audi.

It can appear complex if you want to make it look complex.

Leveling advantages, a nice turn on words but still stinks of Cartel !!!

I’m sure people reading any topic on boards.ie have had to change their occupation because of progress, they didn’t like it but had to get on with it. Now this principle applies to business’s. You either mount the wave of progress or get sucked under and drown.
    Leveling advantages ? That’s like a defender who hacked the legs from under a forward saying that he did it because the forward was too fast. And from your statement you’re the referee saying.
    No foul, play on. !!!!

You're entitled to YOUR opinion.
    Somethings are fact and not a matter of opinion
    I never said that rip-off didn't exist in other countries.....so you're warming to the idea....:o And a bottle of Bacardi is €30 here....it's €10 in Spain.:p
    I never said things weren't a rip off I just don't make blanket statements about an entire economy and social structure. In Spain people are paid less and they don't have the same problem with alcohol this country has.What portion of the average wage is Bacardi is more accurate way to look at it.
    Probably was the case. Now, with the PIAB the Insurers themselves agree that claims have fallen substantially. Of course it hasn't been reflected in the premiums. A young driver in Germany is insured at a low rate initially. If he messes up he is loaded. Here it's a case of you're guilty until proven innocent. NOTHING can justify the exorbitant insurance costs. My house insurance is twice the price of my car insurance. It used to be the reverse.:rolleyes:
    Ireland now has the largest back log of unresolved insurance claims in its history. That means there is a huge liability outstanding. An untrained driver is allowed on the roads here that is not the case in most other European countries. You can fail your test here and drive home! Those two things justify it alone and there are other factors too.
    And way cheaper everywhere else in the EU....you wouldn't be cherrypicking now....would you. Oops....I forgot.....I don't understand what that is!:eek:

Swings and roundabouts!
    We aren't even in the top 3 of the most expensive tabacco in Europe so you are simply wrong!The point is you are cherry picking what to complain about. Swings and roundabouts is the whole point plus the fact we have high employment, low direct tax and high wages.
    MAGNIFICENT! People were underpaid here for far too long!
    So you want people to get paid a fair wage and get cheap goods?????
    Name a country that that occurs in!
    Of course it does.........NOT!!!
    Two makets one place the rent is 10 times that of the other. According to you it makes financial sense to charge the same price? Grafton Street is one of the most expensives streets in Europe to lease property on.

Italy is probably the most corrupt Country in Europe. Well done MS.......very good example.:rolleyes:
    Seeing as you want to cherry pick prices negatively I am just pointing out that things come together. High employment and high wages means high prices. I picked italy because I was just there. :cool:My spanish friends are here because of the free FAS courses and employment. They think it is worth coming here but don't understand why Irish people are so lazy in buying prepared food like washed carrots and lunch instead of doing it.
    Well done. Is that why the ROAD TAX FUND goes to fund everything......apart from road infrastructure? Rip-off Ireland at it's very best!!
    NOBODY in this country pays road tax. It is motor tax! Reduce your engine you pay less tax. Motor tax probably doesn't cover all the elements that they cause. It's not for the roads and that is where people get it wrong
    They are Rates by the back door. Generally accepted by people of all political persuasions.:)
    No it is not rates pay by use. Saying doesn't make it so. The Greens want to increase direct cost with carbon tax etc.. so again you make a false statement through choice or ignorance of the subject.
    Don't quote me about poverty and hard times my friend. I paid a mortgage with an interest rate of 16%.
    Cry me a river I paid 19%. My Brother and sister don't live here because they couldn't get jobs after college so Ithink people are better off.
    Actually I'm sure you mean that a small lucky few in this country are rich. Certainly not me! But I forgot - that's where your loyalties appear to lie.:o
    No I say what I mean. Sorry what country do you live in? I live in one where mass emigration happened due to lack of jobs was the norm and it no longer is. In fact people came back and now people want to come here. My loyalty lies in people not my pocket.

Ehh....where exactly? Price apair of Levis Jeans or, say, a Philips widescreen TV. Price doesn't vary. Practically the same in all outlets. Go to Airside Retail Park and visit the local electrical stores. You'll be hard pushed to find a variance in price for the exact same item.;)
    Levis vary by 10-15% depending on where you buy and TVs vary by about 5% for the same model. Why would I go to one location to shop around? That is not shopping around in my eyes. If two stores reduce their prices to be as competative as possible the prices could be the same so it proves nothing. Before you claim cheaper in another country consider tax,shipping, labour costs, insurance, currency conversions etc... The bigger goods actually cost a lot to get to Ireland and normally come through the english market. It can actually be cheaper to import yourself due to normal business costs.
    I just want cheaper goods at a fair price.....like the rest of the country.
    You are dictating what is fair based on lack of knowledge. If a company makes the same profit on items sold in this country compared to another and it still costs more is that not fair?

QUOTE=frameless59]
    Ah you're probably right. There's no rip-offs in this country.....and the moon landings were fake.......the Americans didn't detonate an a-bomb......and Ireland qualified for the 2006 World Cup.:eek:

Happy New Year again!:D[/QUOTE]

Again I never claimed things aren't a rip off here just not everything. You are being fed a media line and accepting it. Is it making you happy or actively irritating you? It's like people who drive their kids to school for "safety" yet there is more risk because they are in the car than if they walked.

An example of an Irish rip off is the charge for a half pint. In my local it 55c, that means if the bar man was getting paid €11 an hour it would have to take an extra 3 minutes of their time to pour a half. A pint of cordial on the other hand is just expensive and you don't have to buy it.

I must also note that you are either also Freddie or you just like to talk as if you are:confused:

QUOTE=Rodo]
    Leveling advantages, a nice turn on words but still stinks of Cartel !!![/QUOTE]
    Well lets be clear. Nobody has proved anything and the people complaining are the on-line stores. If you can only buy Coke in the cinema and not Pepsi to you scream cartel? When you walk into a shop and they don't carry all brands do you scream cartel? This is at worst what will happen, on-line retailers will stock different brands and allow smaller manufacturers a place to sell goods. This will actually stimulate competition. :eek:
    The reason web ads for goods don't work as well as placement in stores is people like to touch things. People normally look at the actual items and buy on-line the retailers know this and so do the suppliers. If you want to talk unfair there it is. A new business practice has come in and if it works other suppliers will do it. No orgainsed discount for an entire industry but supplier and store based with variances. You might think it sounds like an economics class but you haven't learnt what is and is not a cartel so keep studying:D

I never said things weren't a rip off

This from your good self earlier in this discussion:
    "Rip off Ireland does not exist to the extent people believe":D
    Ireland now has the largest back log of unresolved insurance claims in its history. That means there is a huge liability outstanding. An untrained driver is allowed on the roads here that is not the case in most other European countries. You can fail your test here and drive home! Those two things justify it alone and there are other factors too.

It's incredible to see someone actually trying to justify Insurance costs in this country at present. €400 in Germany for a 20 year-old male.....€4,000 in Ireland. Case closed.;)

We aren't even in the top 3 of the most expensive tabacco in Europe so you are simply wrong!The point is you are cherry picking what to complain about. Swings and roundabouts is the whole point plus the fact we have high employment, low direct tax and high wages..

Yes - and we are now the second-most (or is the most) expensive country to live in. A house that was €48,000 in 1994 now costs €250,000 approximately. Now, by my calculations that's a five-fold increase. Did wages go up by 500% in the interim? Mine (and lots of other's) most certainly did not. Maybe yours did.

So you want people to get paid a fair wage and get cheap goods????? Name a country that that occurs in!

America.

Two makets one place the rent is 10 times that of the other. According to you it makes financial sense to charge the same price? Grafton Street is one of the most expensives streets in Europe to lease property on.

That's the retailers choice.

Seeing as you want to cherry pick prices negatively I am just pointing out that things come together. High employment and high wages means high prices..

So we are to be punished with exorbitant prices because we're earning a few bob more.....which in turn erodes any increase we've received.....which sets the wages back in real terms to the mid-nineties.....so we pay 21st Century prices at mid-1990s rates?:eek:

I picked italy because I was just there. :cool:My spanish friends are here because of the free FAS courses and employment. They think it is worth coming here but don't understand why Irish people are so lazy in buying prepared food like washed carrots and lunch instead of doing it.

Ah - I was waiting for it. The good old 'knock you own' comment. The one thing you cannot say about Irish workers or people is that they are lazy. I would demand that you immediately retract that. For generations we have been recognised as one of the most hard-working races on the planet.
    You mention that your relations had to move abroad for jobs (very obviously hard working, honest people). Are they the exception or do you tar them with the same brush?

NOBODY in this country pays road tax. It is motor tax! Reduce your engine you pay less tax. Motor tax probably doesn't cover all the elements that they cause. It's not for the roads and that is where people get it wrong.

Wrong again I'm afraid! Like all things in this country we 'borrowed' the idea from our colonial neighbours, who introduced a 'Road Tax Fund' to fund.....you guessed it.....road building and maintenance.
    Have a look at what s sample of the Irish people think:
    http://www.rte.ie/comments/roadtolls.html

But, seeing as you've already voiced support for VRT, etc, it probably won't hold much sway with you.:rolleyes:

No it is not rates pay by use. Saying doesn't make it so. The Greens want to increase direct cost with carbon tax etc.. so again you make a false statement through choice or ignorance of the subject.
    Where do you get off with 'saying doesn't make it so'?:o If something exists it does! These are not pay by use. In a family home all of the aforementioned are used, week in, week out. They're a fact of life. And we're being charged RATES:mad: to utilise them.

Cry me a river I paid 19%. My Brother and sister don't live here because they couldn't get jobs after college so Ithink people are better off.

So did I. I merely quoted the 16% because you would probably have said that 'saying doesn't make it so'
    No I say what I mean. Sorry what country do you live in? I live in one where mass emigration happened due to lack of jobs was the norm and it no longer is. In fact people came back and now people want to come here. My loyalty lies in people not my pocket.

I presume you were out protesting against Irish Ferries then? Yesw people want to come here. Like the 500 who have usurped the positions at Irish Ferries. Now Morning Star.....where would your loyalties lie there?

Levis vary by 10-15% depending on where you buy and TVs vary by about 5% for the same model. Why would I go to one location to shop around? That is not shopping around in my eyes. If two stores reduce their prices to be as competative as possible the prices could be the same so it proves nothing. Before you claim cheaper in another country consider tax,shipping, labour costs, insurance, currency conversions etc... The bigger goods actually cost a lot to get to Ireland and normally come through the english market. It can actually be cheaper to import yourself due to normal business costs.
    Yes of course they do.:rolleyes: Is that why a certain chain group is charging 33% more for their products in Ireland than in the UK. Are you telling me that 33% of the price quoted goes in transport costs? Now think before you reply. I have a very good friend involved in Road Haulage.

You are dictating what is fair based on lack of knowledge. If a company makes the same profit on items sold in this country compared to another and it still costs more is that not fair?.

Would be if it were true......but it isn't. Fair is:

Being paid a fair day's wages for a fair day's work.

Wealth being shared across the community - not enjoyed by a privileged few.

Charging a fair price for a product.

Paying fair taxes and expecting a fair service in return.

Not deploying so-called steath taxes.

[/QUOTE]=frameless59]

Happy New Year again!:D[/QUOTE]
    Again I never claimed things aren't a rip off here just not everything. You are being fed a media line and accepting it. Is it making you happy or actively irritating you? It's like people who drive their kids to school for "safety" yet there is more risk because they are in the car than if they walked.

An example of an Irish rip off is the charge for a half pint. In my local it 55c, that means if the bar man was getting paid €11 an hour it would have to take an extra 3 minutes of their time to pour a half. A pint of cordial on the other hand is just expensive and you don't have to buy it.

I must also note that you are either also Freddie or you just like to talk as if you are:confused:

Of course you didn't claim things aren't a rip-off here:rolleyes: . Again you are guilty of generalising, and, if anyone is falling for a media line it's you!:p
    All of my children walked to and from school, and I would LOVE to know where your local is. 55c FOR A HALF-PINT. WOW! Rip-off Ireland doesn't exist where you are. No wonder you try to defend it. Why would I pretend to be someone else?:confused:
    Rodo wrote:
    Leveling advantages, a nice turn on words but still stinks of Cartel

Ah - someone else who appreciates what's going on!:D

I see Morning Star has not commented on the reef and the bigger fish. Very interesting!

Freddie59 wrote:
    This from your good self earlier in this discussion:
    "Rip off Ireland does not exist to the extent people believe":D
    Are you unable to understand English or just choosing to? Some things are a rip off but not everything is what I said and keep saying.

Freddie59 wrote:
    It's incredible to see someone actually trying to justify Insurance costs in this country at present. €400 in Germany for a 20 year-old male.....€4,000 in Ireland. Case closed.;)

So your form of debate is to just say it is a rip off. You can't explain how a bussiness can operate with higher costs and charge the same money. German safety record is better. I don't have to justify anything it is a fact of how they work out rates.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Yes - and we are now the second-most (or is the most) expensive copuntry to live in. A house that was €48,000 in 1994 now costs €250,000 approximately. Now, by my calculations that's a five-fold increase. Did wages go up by 500% in the intereim. Mine (and lots of other's) most certainly did not.
    We have the highest home ownership in the world so something must be OK.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/pie-T/peo_hom_own
    A social shift and economic catch up are not a rip off but an enivitability.
    Why don't you admit when you are wrong! You claimed that we have the most expensive tabacco in Europe but it isn't true.

Freddie59 wrote:
    America.
    What? THat is not true, the poverty gap is massive in the US.

Freddie59 wrote:
    That's the retailers choice.
    Your right but you complain when they charge more so it is your choice not to buy. You therfore have nothing to complain about.

Freddie59 wrote:
    So we are to be punished with exorbitant prices because we're earning a few bob more.....which in turn erodes any increase we've received.....which sets the wages back in real terms to the mid-nineties.....so we pay 21st Century prices at mid-1990s rates?:eek:
    Not punished just regular supply and demand. THe point is more people are now able to afford things.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Ah - I was waiting for it. The good old 'knock you own' comment. The one thing you cannot say about Irish workers or people is that they are lazy. I would demand that you immediately retract that. For generations we have been recognised as one of the most hard-working races on the planet.
    You mention that your relations had to move abroad for jobs (very obviously hard working, honest people). Are they the exception or do you tar them with the same brush?
    Actually I see you as the person putting the country down not me. You a are the one complaining about prices, government inaction etc... Irish workers are called lazy by people now with people prefering to hire hard working imigrants. I didn't say anything I said my friends can't believe how lazy people are acting. Imigrants to most countries are seen as hard working Irish people being no amazing exception one way or the other. You want to have false pride in that knock yourself out.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Wrong again I'm afraid! Like all things in this country we 'borrowed' the idea from our colonial neighbours, who introduced a 'Road Tax Fund' to fund.....you guessed it.....road building and maintenance.
    Have a look at what s sample of the Irish people think:
    http://www.rte.ie/comments/roadtolls.html

What people think and what is a reality don't meet a lot of the time. Media hype. Watch "Bowling for Columbian" a clear example shown between media reports and perception yet no connection to reality. THere is no road tax in this country, the origins of the tax mean little to what it has become and its current role. So I am not wrong here and you have never proved me wrong yet while I have proved you wrong and you just avoid it. If you can point out where I am wrong I will accept it. So give it a go and also admit when you are wrong

Freddie59 wrote:
    Where do you get off with 'saying doesn't make it so'?:o If something exists it does! These are not pay by use. In a family home all of the aforementioned are used, week in, week out. They're a fact of life. And we're being charged RATES:mad: to utilise them.

If something exists and you call it the wrong name then it doesn't make it so. Example you see a dog and call it a giraffe you are wrong and saying you saw giraffe doesn't make it any more true. People use heating on a daily basis but they pay by use why is it so hard to understand you can reduce use of services. Waste now costs more than before as the true cost of the service was not understood.

Freddie59 wrote:

So did I. I merely quoted the 16% because you would probably have said that 'saying doesn't make it so'
    Now that I don't believe

Freddie59 wrote:
    I presume you were out protesting against Irish Ferries then? Yesw people want to come here. Like the 500 who have usurped the positions at Irish Ferries. Now Morning Star.....where would your loyalties lie there?
    The company was run into the ground by bad management and poor investement. The matter comes down to what was right to keep a vital service going. Irish law needs to be changed to prevent further issues and bring back the situation. Complex problems require complex solutions

Freddie59 wrote:
    Yes of course they do.:rolleyes: Is that why a certain chain group is charging 33% more for their products in Ireland than in the UK. Are you telling me that 33% of the price quoted goes in transport costs? Now think before you reply. I have a very good friend involved in Road Haulage.

What I said was there are many factors of additional cost here you are just avoiding the subject and again cherry picking what you are able to discuss. I work withe actual costs of logistic and costs which is a lot more indepth than knowing a person involved with one aspect of cost. All cost factors added together effect price. THey have been mentioned.

Freddie59 wrote:

Would be if it were true......but it isn't. Fair is:

OK how do you know it is not? Explain what you are basing it on, so far all you have done is claim you are being ripped off and dismiss any contributing factor. That sounds like ignorance to me in both meanings of the word.
    Freddie59 wrote:
    Being paid a fair day's wages for a fair day's work.

Wealth being shared across the community - not enjoyed by a privileged few.

Charging a fair price for a product.

Paying fair taxes and expecting a fair service in return.

Not deploying so-called steath taxes.
    So you are socialist? Do you buy fair trade tea, coffe, chocolate etc...?
    You want cheap goods and fair wages does that mean you avoid goods made in China. We simply export our poverty that way.

AS I said you are deciding "fair" and you are basing it on nothing or at least not stating what you are basing it on. Maybe you are just unable to answer the question beacuse you don't understand.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Of course you didn't claim things aren't a rip-off here:rolleyes: . Again you are guilty of generalising, and, if anyone is falling for a media line it's you!:p
    All of my children walked to and from school, and I would LOVE to know where your local is. 55c FOR A HALF-PINT. WOW! Rip-off Ireland doesn't exist where you are. No wonder you try to defend it. Why would I pretend to be someone else?:confused:

Point out where I generalised and then compare it to saying an entire country is a rip off! I have maintained you should asses the facts and come to an opinion nothing more or less. There have been untrue statements made based on opinion without facts and that was not by me. What media line do you believe I have fallen for? I have stated the one I believe you have fallen for

Amazing wit I was talking of the charge for a half pint not the cost. To be absolutly clear it is a further charge per half of 55c

I don't know why anybody would pretend to be somebody else either but as I said you appear to be talking as if you are also Freddie all you had to say was why or that you don't think so.
    Freddie59 wrote:
    Ah - someone else who appreciates what's going on!:D

1000 idiots agreeing doesn't mean anything to me. Knowledge of the subject is more important than if somebody else agrees. I know and see profit margins accross europe along with costs. The profit margins in general are the same. If you know different explain, if is just a belief than state it is a belief and what it is based on outwerwise you are just ranting

If you want to put down this country because you don't like paying a fair wage , paying your way, taking care of others and accepting economic realities why live here? According to you life is better else where why not go there? I travel a lot and I have seen the reality of low taxes, low employment and general things that mean cheap goods. In the US when you go in a carpark they might have a person issuing tickets and the reason is becasue it is cheaper than a machine. Such ticket collectors work more than one job to survive due to the wages. I was in Philadelphia last year and I noticed street cleaners were on each corner with just a brush and pan all day cleaning. They didn't have powered machines like here because it is cheaper to hire 4 people than buy the machine. So you want a cheap camcorder that is how it is done you don't pay a good wage. The US is not a good model but Norway is as it is more inclusive.

• Advertisement

Are you unable to understand English or just choosing to? Some things are a rip off but not everything is what I said and keep saying.

No - it's called debating the issue. You are quite apparently unable to accept when someone produces a good counter-argument or even dares to disagree with you. I think it's called keeping your head in the sand.

So your form of debate is to just say it is a rip off. You can't explain how a bussiness can operate with higher costs and charge the same money. German safety record is better. I don't have to justify anything it is a fact of how they work out rates.

Nooooooo.:rolleyes: My form of debate is to highlight the rip-offs that occur. Your form is to deny that they actually exist (as you have proven).

We have the highest home ownership in the world so something must be OK.
    http://www.nationmaster.com/pie-T/peo_hom_own
    A social shift and economic catch up are not a rip off but an enivitability.
    Why don't you admit when you are wrong! You claimed that we have the most expensive tabacco in Europe but it isn't true.
    No - the website I quoted did. PAY ATTENTION NOW.:D

your right but you complain when they charge more so it is your choice not to buy. You therfore have nothing to complain about.
    So you want me just to ignore the inflated prices and forget about it (or just put the blinkers on and pretend it doesn't exist).:rolleyes:

Not punished just regular supply and demand. THe point is more people are now able to afford things.

Ah right. So in future we'll just call it suppy and demand Ireland. Or I'm being supplied and demanded off.:) Glad you explained that one.

Actually I see you as the person putting the country down not me. You a are the one complaining about prices, government inaction etc... Irish workers are called lazy by people now with people prefering to hire hard working imigrants.

I didn't say anything I said my friends can't believe how lazy people are acting. Imigrants to most countries are seen as hard working Irish people being no amazing exception one way or the other. You want to have false pride in that knock yourself out.

Putting the country down and highlighting exorbitant charges and two completely separate issues my friend. Of course you didn't say anything. Your friends did. Why did you quote them then? Guilty by association.

What people think and what is a reality don't meet a lot of the time. Media hype. Watch "Bowling for Columbian" a clear example shown between media reports and perception yet no connection to reality. THere is no road tax in this country, the origins of the tax mean little to what it has become and its current role. So I am not wrong here and you have never proved me wrong yet while I have proved you wrong and you just avoid it. If you can point out where I am wrong I will accept it. So give it a go and also admit when you are wrong.

You must be getting desparate when you're quoting a movie. Didn't you accuse me of swallowing the media line?:eek:

If something exists and you call it the wrong name then it doesn't make it so. Example you see a dog and call it a giraffe you are wrong and saying you saw giraffe doesn't make it any more true. People use heating on a daily basis but they pay by use why is it so hard to understand you can reduce use of services. Waste now costs more than before as the true cost of the service was not understood.

Explain that to the thousands of people who are paying higher gas and electric bills. It might have escaped your attention, but these items are NECESSITIES (look it up;) ). The same as the family car which is now a necessity, or the creche which modern married couples are paying upwards of €1,000 in some cases to have their child minded. And why? Because both of them will have to work to pay a huge mortgage which one wage could not support. Yes - modern Ireland really is a great value for money country to live in.

The company was run into the ground by bad management and poor investement. The matter comes down to what was right to keep a vital service going. Irish law needs to be changed to prevent further issues and bring back the situation. Complex problems require complex solutions.

Again defending the indefensible. Were any of the management positions made redundant? Indeed, did the management team (which you have admitted ran the company into the ground) take the same pay cut as that which the workers were being asked to take? Well?:mad: Must be fairly complex now for the hundreds who lost their jobs.

What I said was there are many factors of additional cost here you are just avoiding the subject and again cherry picking what you are able to discuss. I work withe actual costs of logistic and costs which is a lot more indepth than knowing a person involved with one aspect of cost. All cost factors added together effect price. THey have been mentioned.

Well can you explain how a very small item sold by a company with stores in Ireland and the UK can be 33% dearer?
    OK how do you know it is not? Explain what you are basing it on, so far all you have done is claim you are being ripped off and dismiss any contributing factor. That sounds like ignorance to me in both meanings of the word.

Fair enough. So I and the thousands like me and ignorant? For daring to voice an opinion and even to SUGGEST that we are being ripped off. As I have already said you are behaving in a most insular and blinkered manner.
    So you are socialist?

Far from it. As I have said forming and voicing an opinion doesn't make a person a socialist. But I'd rather be one than a die-hard capitalist.;)
    AS I said you are deciding "fair" and you are basing it on nothing or at least not stating what you are basing it on. Maybe you are just unable to answer the question beacuse you don't understand.

The only thing I understand is that everytime I get a wage increase or increased tax allowance, products and services almost immediately rise and obliterate any increases. Is it that hard for you to understand? For all your spoofing on economics you seem unable to appreciate how a family budget works. Or the impacts of the policies that you espouse upon it.:confused:

You have, on your posts,

Dismissed even the remote possibility of a rip-off Ireland.

Defended VRT

Defended Refuse Charges

Defended massively higher motor insurance costs (in relation to the rest of Europe).

Tried to prove that essentials such as heating are a type of item which you can choose to use or not. Theoretically you're right - but realistically you're totally wrong.:o

As I have already said Morning Star you refuse to acknowledge what's going on around you. A huge majority of the population agree with much of what I have said. You CAN keep your head in the sand and pretend it's not going on....but it is.

Try convincing the young couple paying a huge mortgage, paying huge childcare fees, paying grossly increased health costs (if you're not on a medical card or company scheme a doctor's surgery visit is now running at €70 in some places).

Imagine attending yourself and bringing a sick child with you - €140? That would make a fair hole in any household budget. Then try convincing the people with TWO children that they are getting great value for money.:eek:

I don't think you'd get many takers. You can throw all the insults you like about being ignorant, but I would appear to have more of a realistic grip on life than you will ever have.;) And by the way.......I did pay 19%.....and was paying £60 of a take home pay of £110 on a mortgage. So I do know what I'm talking about........unlike some others.:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

THEY ARE NOT CHARGING ON-LINE RETAILERS MORE. THere are discounts they can't avil of because they are unable to provide the benifit to the producers.

I'm loath to get into this argument between two people who obviously have greater depth of knowledge in this matter.

But...

If I buy a car and I get a discount of 1000 for cash and my buddy buys the same car at the same dealer but only gets 850 discount for cash does that mean that he is not being charged more because he can't avail of the full discount ? Surely at the end of the day its what you pay is what counts so if Mr Sony charges downtown JoesTV 800 for a tv but discounts him 100 because he has a bricks'n'mortar shop and charges Joes.com 800 with no discount then Joes.com is effectively being charged more..

then again I'm not in retail so I'm not privvy to its arcane world..

Freddie59 wrote:
    No - it's called debating the issue. You are quite apparently unable to accept when someone produces a good counter-argument or even dares to disagree with you. I think it's called keeping your head in the sand.

Actually you haven't debated the issue. You refuse any information that counters your view. You prove no evidence only further opinion. These don't make a good counter argument.
    You keep saying I refuse to believe in a rip off Ireland yet what I keep saying is not everything is to the extent certain people believe. You being an example of a person who just quotes prices and will not accept any of the additional costs in this country. You simply refuse to except any or explain who or how the extra cost gets paid. That is keeping your head in the sand.
    I doubt this view will keep you happy but if being angry does it for you great enjoy life. The world will keep turning and reality will carry on
    Parsi wrote:
    Surely at the end of the day its what you pay is what counts so if Mr Sony charges downtown JoesTV 800 for a tv but discounts him 100 because he has a bricks'n'mortar shop and charges Joes.com 800 with no discount then Joes.com is effectively being charged more..

The point is if Downtownjoe sells mr sony advertisment worth the discount rather than an actual discount and online joe doen't have anyway to advertise as successfully you aren't charging more.

The other main point is nothing has been proved and the people compllaining are the on-line stores. The whole industry is not conspiring therefore it is not even close to a cartel as people claim.

I work for the retail trade providing them services both on-line and traditional stores. I know the way profit is made and how buyers work and how deals are stuck. Cheap goods do not mean you benifit in the long run it is a methd used to drive competitors out of the market most times. When there are no CD stores, bakeries, butchers, book shops etc.. you will see what real lack of choice is. I did not insult you I said you didn't know what you are talking about. What you replied with indicates this more as does the fact you don't know what a cartel is. You have a lack of knowledge on this subject you which you are basing your views on. You can keep your views about it all but it doesn't make you right just baddly informed and as you are making no attempt to look into the facts you will just keep thinking it. Fine if you want to go on like this.
    If you want to say I am wrong fine prove it.

If the likes of bookshops are to be worried, they should venture into ecommerce (would they then have two discounts from the supplier ??? ;)
    As for me walking down Barronstrand Street here in Waterford dodging the tumbleweed, and looking at the boarded up, bakeries, butchers, premises as you mentioned above and my variety of choice gone. I assure you MorningStar, we’re pretty safe :D
    Online purchasing has to be tangible, electronic goods, DVDs CDs books, etc.

We are not talking about CHEAPER goods here, we are talking a product in Ireland € X, and the same product online € Y.
    We could talk about the dreaded c*****s here forever.
    The news report that started this thread was speculative Did they, Didn't They? We'll never know, and if they did, we'll just have to look harder to find it cheaper :(

However I do think that your statement 'My Loyalties lies on people not my pocket’ is very noble, and I am not being sarcastic, I mean that, honestly.
    That statement can be the complete opposite by rearranging it.
    My Loyalties lie in my pocket not on people.

This is why we have manufacturers calling the shots.
    Whether you're on Planet Earth, Or Planet MorningStar, both arguments are true here.
    The astonishing thing is that you who service these businesses choose to ignore that's its happening.

If however, let’s say they do decide to ‘not make certain discounts available’ to the online stores!!!!
    Manufacturers penalising ecommerce businesses because they want to sell their goods!!!! i.e., refuse business?????
    MMMMMmmmmm, good business sense A+

Good Night

Rodo wrote:
    If the likes of bookshops are to be worried, they should venture into ecommerce (would they then have two discounts from the supplier ??? ;)
    As for me walking down Barronstrand Street here in Waterford dodging the tumbleweed, and looking at the boarded up, bakeries, butchers, premises as you mentioned above and my variety of choice gone. I assure you MorningStar, we’re pretty safe :D

I can assure you that you are not safe. I live in Dublin and we are further along the retail changes than the rest of the country. Purpose built shops in housing estates are gone and are not even being built now. We had gone on a little from just on-line stores and the "rip off Ireland" card was pulled. Tesco, Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes etc... are trying to destroy all competition. THey do this through price. THis country is littered with empty shops in towns.
    Rodo wrote:

We are not talking about CHEAPER goods here, we are talking a product in Ireland € X, and the same product online € Y.
    The news report that started this thread was speculative Did they, Didn't They? We'll never know, and if they did, we'll just have to look harder to find it cheaper :(

We will know as they will investigate and discounts etc.. are all well documented. Big companies can afford to keep two books.

Rodo wrote:
    Whether you're on Planet Earth, Or Planet MorningStar, both arguments are true here.
    The astonishing thing is that you who service these businesses choose to ignore that's its happening.
    THe point is I know what is happening and people commenting on it don't. Media reports are extremely bias on this subject and this is what most people base thier views on. AS I pointed out with the newspapaer article. Eddie Hobbes claimed a massive outcry from a town got a Lidl to a town yet the 3000 people he claimed turned out to be less than 300. He claimed corner stores are now all big business when about 80% are franchises. If people believe these things I see why they don't believe me but when they ignore even the pricnciple and any information showing a differing view. I don't choose to ignore anything is happening, some things are a rip off but they always have been it isn't really anything new. Everything is not a rip off and more importantly it is simply more expensive to set-up and do busness here.

To say an accontant only adds and subtracts is true but it is also not the right description in fact it would be wrong to say that is all he does. If people chose to bring everything down to simple terms you don't get some amazing insight you get a simple view. Things are more complex than it is cheaper in Spain therefore we should get it for that price too.
    Rodo wrote:
    If however, let’s say they do decide to ‘not make certain discounts available’ to the online stores!!!!
    Manufacturers penalising ecommerce businesses because they want to sell their goods!!!! i.e., refuse business?????

I obviously can't explain this in a simple enough way for people to understand. Last go, If you spend A on advertisement to get a certain level of sales through all forms (online and bricks and morter)
    You offer you product @ X to Online and Bricks
    Online sells at X+Storage+profit
    Bricks sell at X+Storage+rent+insurance+theft+profit
    Online is therfore cheaper
    Bricks realises that space in his store is equvialant to advertisement A. Bricks notes he has extra expenses yet both he and online benifit. Infact people look at the product and in his store and by from Online.
    Bricks gets mad and says he wants cheaper goods. Manufacturer realises that if product not in Bricks he won't get sales through Online also he pay Bricks A but to make it easy he agrees exact terms of prodcut space and place and makes A a discount.
    Magic! Not a cartel not some conspiracy to make people pay more just business. I already explained what will most likely happen as a result of overly protectionary practice and how it will most likely mean more competition not less. The manufacturors weren't really driving the change it was the stores and the ones complaining are the other stores.

Rodo wrote:

However I do think that your statement 'My Loyalties lies on people not my pocket’ is very noble, and I am not being sarcastic, I mean that, honestly.
    That statement can be the complete opposite by rearranging it.
    My Loyalties lie in my pocket not on people.

Good Night

Well said Rodo. You see, the root problem here is that MS thinks that everyone else posting on this thread has limited or no intelligence (I think the phrase was 1,000 idiots).

Amazingly, four out of the last five people who have posted disagree with MS.

These would be the same idiots who keep the country turning over on a daily basis.

These would also be the same idiots who are far more streetwise (could substitute economicswise) than their parents were.

These would be the same idiots who can

a) Spot when they're being ripped off (whenever it occurs)

and

b) Are actually technically skilled and wise enough to use all tools at their disposal (High Street or Internet) to spot a bargain.;)

These would be the same idiots who are able to articulate themselves in a manner only dreamed of by their parents.

And these are also the same idiots who won't sit back and take it!:p

Yes, being an idiot can have it's advantages!:eek:

Yes - see what you mean about the tumbleweed.:o Very good point!

As Rodo said.......Goodnight!:D

Is that part of an Internet address?:confused::confused:

Freddie59 wrote:
    Well said Rodo. You see, the root problem here is that MS thinks that everyone else posting on this thread has limited or no intelligence (I think the phrase was 1,000 idiots).

Amazingly, four out of the last five people who have posted disagree with MS.

Well I never called anybody an idiot. Just because people agree with you doesn't make you right! If you think it it does then you are mistaken but I am sure you could get people to agree with you saying it does make you right.

If people refuse point blank to accept any arguement the contradicts their views and opinions I don't generally think of them as intelligent or reasonable.

I have accepted that certain things are a rip off other just claim all is. Any plausable reason for possible higher prices in this country are not explained away just simple denied or ignored. False statements about prices in this country were made yet instead of admitting the falshood it was just ignored.

I accept some prices in Ireland are more expensse wihout need (to call it a rip off initself is emotive)
    I accept business costs in this country are more than elsewhere in Europe.

If you choose not to believe the last point than you are burying your head plain and simple. If you choose not to believe me personally that is fine but prove how they are the same then not for me but to yourself. I know they are not the same are you saying so how you KNOW they are the same or you just think they are.

To not understand how online stores have less costs must indicate a learning problem. It is not opinion but fact to say it isn't is just plain stupid. THe whole point of on-line stores is that the costs are less so they can sell cheaper just like a traditional catalogue shop.

I get disliking the the new practice worked out by retailers. TO call it a cartel or anything else indicates a lack of knowledge. Inteligence is the application of knowledge. i actept some people didn't know how or why the practice came about. I explained it more than once. If you don't accept it that doesn't make you right but just not willing to actually think about the issue.

If you want to have an opinion based on no fact, refuse any other facts I don't see how that indicates intelligence. Can you explain how it does?

I tried to explain the issue you don't have to believe me you can choose to believe Eddie Hobbes or newspapers without questioning. I like to question details especially when I find incorrect details in them.

Morning Star, I'd be grateful if you could explain the X/Y discount principle please to this :confused:

Sony Centre A
    Business premises size: 3000 sqft
    Product: 42'' LCD TV
    Price: €2500

Sony Centre B
    Business premises size: 6000 sqft

Sony Centre B
    Business premises size: 10000 sqft

• Advertisement

Well I never called anybody an idiot..

From your earlier post:

1000 idiots agreeing doesn't mean anything to me.

You seem to have quite a selective memory!:o

Just because people agree with you doesn't make you right!.

Of course it doesn't. I think the Communists tried the same ploy. They were right - the millions they subdued were, of course, completely wrong.:p
    I tried to explain the issue you don't have to believe me you can choose to believe Eddie Hobbes or newspapers without questioning. I like to question details especially when I find incorrect details in them.

It isn't an issue of questioning. When hard data is presented it's kind of hard to dispute it.:eek:

Rodo wrote:
    Morning Star, I'd be grateful if you could explain the X/Y discount principle please to this :confused:

Prices aren't different in McDonalds why would you expect Sony centres to be different?
    Freddie59 wrote:
    From your earlier post:

1000 idiots agreeing doesn't mean anything to me.

You seem to have quite a selective memory!:o

Selective intereptation. Note I did not call anybody anything at worst I implied.

Freddie59 wrote:

Of course it doesn't. I think the Communists tried the same ploy. They were right - the millions they subdued were, of course, completely wrong.:p
    I think you should think about the Nazis and how Hitler was voted in. Just because people agree doesn't make them right.

Freddie59 wrote:
    It isn't an issue of questioning. When hard data is presented it's kind of hard to dispute it.:eek:

There isn't even talk of economic principle just opinion based on no detail. There is eough actual facts to base an opinion but to only compare end price as a principle is completely riddiculious. If you know tax is 21% in one place and 17.5% in another and you complain about the 3.5% than you are ignoring facts. If average wage is higher and you ignore that as cost factor that is a fact you are ignoring. If shop space is more expensive and you ignore that as a cost factor you are ignoring fact. If you complain about Irish insurance costs and then ignore higher insurance as a cost factor guess what you are doing? Being a complete hipocrite, close minded and selective.

Question those facts.

Selective intereptation. Note I did not call anybody anything at worst I implied.
    Of course you didn't. I forgot the rest of us can't understand English. You should remember that you're putting everything on record. It's kind of hard to dispute what you actually said. But then again this seems to be a trait of yours.;)
    I think you should think about the Nazis and how Hitler was voted in. Just because people agree doesn't make them right.

Of course. He hijacked the democatric process and eliminated his opponents.:p

There isn't even talk of economic principle just opinion based on no detail. There is eough actual facts to base an opinion but to only compare end price as a principle is completely riddiculious.

If you know tax is 21% in one place and 17.5% in another and you complain about the 3.5% than you are ignoring facts. If average wage is higher and you ignore that as cost factor that is a fact you are ignoring.

If shop space is more expensive and you ignore that as a cost factor you are ignoring fact. If you complain about Irish insurance costs and then ignore higher insurance as a cost factor guess what you are doing? Being a complete hipocrite, close minded and selective.

Question those facts.

I think you mean question those figures. If something is fact, well it's...........FACT!

Of course I am a hypocrite, closed mind and selective.......Oh my God I'm sorry.....that's actually YOU!:o

I couldn't have described it better myself. Seriously though, it's a pity you have to resort to petty insults. It really demonstrates the weakness of your argument.:)

Freddie59 wrote:
    Of course you didn't. I forgot the rest of us can't understand English. You should remember that you're putting everything on record. It's kind of hard to dispute what you actually said. But then again this seems to be a trait of yours.;)
    That trait where you can't say what I say is wrong is called being right you are probably unfamiliar with it. I didn't say what you said I said yet you still accuse me of it.[/QUOTE]

Freddie59 wrote:
    Of course. He hijacked the democatric process and eliminated his opponents.:p
    Lots and lots of people agreed with him. The majority are not right by default is the point, people agreeing doesn't make them right is the overall point. Are you saying to be right you just need people to agree with you?
    Freddie59 wrote:
    I think you mean question those figures. If something is fact, well it's...........FACT!
    OK question a figure. Maybe just tell me how you know prices are a rip off here other than they are just more expensive here.

Of
    Freddie59 wrote:
    course I am a hypocrite, closed mind and selective.......Oh my God I'm sorry.....that's actually YOU!:o

I can explain and describe what you are saying. I descibed your views as explained here you are just calling me names. If you think I am as I described somebody with those views please explain. Note I never actually said you were any of thoses things I said if you believe as I described then you would be as described.
    Freddie59 wrote:
    I couldn't have described it better myself. Seriously though, it's a pity you have to resort to petty insults. It really demonstrates the weakness of your argument.:)
    I think I am pointing out that you are unable to describe and explain things or even understand what I described and explained. Just opposing my arguement without any explanantion of your own doesn't boost you argument. My argument is no weaker you are simply mistaken when you say I resorted to petty insults.
    I have put questions and theories to you without any counter argument or answers from yourself. I won't bother responding unless you can actually come up with a theory where by prices can and should be the same world wide. You seemed to have resorted to avoiding any meaningfull content to I guess try and atagonise me.

Prices aren't different in McDonalds why would you expect Sony centres to be different?

We're not talking about Big Macs here, maybe some people will look at McDonald's price list, and think expensive, and go to another fast food outlet, even if they don't, and decide to buy the food from McDonald's there is certainly not going to be a huge difference in whatever fast food outlet they go to, maybe a euro or two.

The initial discussion was started by Freddie59 mentioning Sony, NOT McDonald's and as I stated earlier the goods would have to be tangible. Nobody would be 'lovin' it' if they bought a Big Mac Meal online :rolleyes:

The reason I would expect Sony to be different is because you are going on about prominent locations, premises size, human traffic, availability of discounts to stores who can provide these.

Mr X's late night shop cannot sell his product for the same price as Superstore X because he cannot avail of the discounts that are on offer.
    He don't have warehousing capacity like Superstore X, he doesn't have the luxury of a large premises like Mr X, and his place of trade is not in a High Street locations.

Superstore X can because he has the above mentioned.
    I can see the logic in the above scenario

NOW put two Sony shops in the same situation ?
    Difference between small and large Sony retail store prices, NONE !:eek:

Could you please explain how the volume deals are not applied here.

Surely the bigger shop can negotiate the best prices for larger volume deals from Sony.
    Theoretically, certainly not morally they should be able to sell the product cheaper, but they don't.

Now who is getting ripped off, and who is doing the ripoff?
    Is it Sony, because they have conditions in the business dealing with the retailers stipulating that they CANNOT pass the discount onto the buyer.

If Sony are using such tactics, the business is being RIPPED OFF If it's not Sony, then it's the retailer who is not passing the discount on to the public, therefore I assume it's us, the public being ripped off.

To be honest there is a clear business sense to this and it is not just strictly a rip off. Basically the bricks and mortar shops get a discount due to floor display and/or space within the store. AS the on-line stores don't have floor space they aren't offered the discount. There is an element of protection of old allies but they are also under threat from the stores themselves threatening not to stock the items if they are sold at discounts to on-line stores.

It is a little more complex than a simple attempt to get people to pay more. It is more a leveling of advantages.

You also stated you know whats happening and people commenting on it don't (Freddie59, other people who contributed here, and myself I presume you are referring to)
    I'm not reading, listening or believing any media report. Ok if it was speculative about Sony.

MorningStar, All I was asking was for you to apply the clear business sense to the Sony situation above, that's all, no more, no less, can you please ?

Online shopping is another medium for people to shop around. Once upon a time people would browse from shop to shop in whatever city/town they were living in.
    This evolved when people had cars, they could shop in whatever town/city they wanted to. Now people have the option to use the internet to procure the desired item, at a cheaper price.
    That's progress. Whether people are irked by the method or welcome the method.
    C'est La Vie

Rodo wrote:
    We're not talking about Big Macs here, maybe some people will look at McDonald's price list, and think expensive, and go to another fast food outlet, even if they don't, and decide to buy the food from McDonald's there is certainly not going to be a huge difference in whatever fast food outlet they go to, maybe a euro or two.

The resaon I said McDonalds becasue Sony centres are franchises just like Mc Donalds. Effectively you walked into the same store 3 times. Only certain businessess have price banding within countries. Duperquinn still do it though on certain items but mostly it is only done through stock.
    Rodo wrote:
    Difference between small and large Sony retail store prices, NONE !:eek:
    Actually you just don't notice the diffferences. the product range in shops is generally decided based on the local market. A rich area has the standard catalogue plus the more expensive items they make. Superquinn for example stock the more expensive range of shampoos in the places where house prices are high. They stock more beer in the place with lower house prices.
    Rodo wrote:
    Could you please explain how the volume deals are not applied here.

Surely the bigger shop can negotiate the best prices for larger volume deals from Sony.
    Theoretically, certainly not morally they should be able to sell the product cheaper, but they don't.
    Being a one brand shop has more risk as you can't diversify. They actually sell lower volumes so they have higher margins. These high margins may be considered a rip off but Sony sell to others and you do get cheaper sony goods outside of their stores. It is just about market awareness.
    Volume discounts do apply to other stores than Sony what makes you think they aren't?
    Rodo wrote:
    Now who is getting ripped off, and who is doing the ripoff?
    Is it Sony, because they have conditions in the business dealing with the retailers stipulating that they CANNOT pass the discount onto the buyer.
    Nobody is being ripped off, you don't have to buy from them. The only people being ripped off is the person buying over priced items. If the market value is higher in one market then it is simple supply and demand.
    I would like you to point out any case with proof where Sony or the like prevent a retailer passing on discounts they give to the store. If you believe this you must be basing it on actual fact. I have never seen such a case but I will look at any you can show.

A market is taken as a whole so local rent allowance are rarely considered the overall running in a country is considered and the equalise margins. AS I also pointed out product range is used to make more money in more expensive rent location too.
    Rodo wrote:
    You also stated you know whats happening and people commenting on it don't (Freddie59, other people who contributed here, and myself I presume you are referring to)
    I'm not reading, listening or believing any media report. Ok if it was speculative about Sony.
    Rodo wrote:
    MorningStar, All I was asking was for you to apply the clear business sense to the Sony situation above, that's all, no more, no less, can you please ?

That's what I have been asking for I explained the business practices in use, how and why they came about. All I seem to be getting back is disbelief in known facts such as higher, wages,insurance,property and a general refusal to believe that not everything is overpriced here.
    What have I not explained?

A lot of what seems to be said by people here is unfounded accusation. I only ask for proof. It is very easy to say bristish stores charge 33% more for items in ireland but it doesn't make it true. I don't understand why people believe it or even just question it. You accuse Sony of not giving discounts to mass sellers of their goods, why? Based on what?

OK question a figure. Maybe just tell me how you know prices are a rip off here other than they are just more expensive here.

Let's try another approach. This thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-111836.html) is from 2003 on boards.ie The topic of discussion was the Argos store prices in Ireland vs UK. I think the last poster adequately covers it when he says you could buy a plane ticket and still get the item cheaper.

Of course, everyone on that thread is probably imagining things as well.:rolleyes: :o

Freddie59 wrote:
    Let's try another approach. This thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-111836.html) is from 2003 on boards.ie The topic of discussion was the Argos store prices in Ireland vs UK. I think the last poster adequately covers it when he says you could buy a plane ticket and still get the item cheaper.

Of course, everyone on that thread is probably imagining things as well.:rolleyes: :o

So when I ask you do you have any other proof than opinion and judgement based on end price your answer is no! .

Again I point out people in agreement doesn't make them right. Adding smiles to your responses to show sarcasim is really pointeless. It implies some level of wit that is absent when you can't even answer the questions. You seem incapble of actually proving your case.

So when I ask you do you have any other proof than opinion and judgement based on end price your answer is no! .

Again I point out people in agreement doesn't make them right. Adding smiles to your responses to show sarcasim is really pointeless. It implies some level of wit that is absent when you can't even answer the questions. You seem incapble of actually proving your case.

Ah no. That honour would lie 100% with your good self. I suppose you deserve it for all the things you accuse me of, they being:

Ignoring the facts

and

Ignoring the facts!:eek:

Yes Morning Star..........all the rest of us are 100% wrong, and you, you beacon of ecomnomic sensibility, are 100% right!:rolleyes:

:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Right MorningStar, you tried it and repeated stuff a few times here, I'll give it a go and see if I can get a reply from ANYONE.

Post 1 was from Freddie59 the company mentioned was SONY. Not BurgerKing, bakeries, or Superquinn ???? Right ?

It was about planning to charge online retailers a higher wholesale price than high street shops in order to force the online price up to that of the shops. Right ?

Post 4 from yourself said there is clear business sense to this.

I agree with you here it does make clear business sense but only to the people who want this to happen. It certainly don't make clear business sense to the people who now have to pay more because businesses are whinging.

This being the case it's a _____________ ?

Maybe one man's ripoff is not another man's because of the difference in salary ????
    80% of the world has 20% of the wealth
    While 20% of the world has 80%

Only certain businessess have price banding within countries
    This being the case it's a _____________ ?
    Being a one brand shop has more risk as you can't diversify. They actually sell lower volumes so they have higher margins. These high margins may be considered a rip off but Sony sell to others and you do get cheaper sony goods outside of their stores. It is just about market awareness.

Post 4 from yourself said there is clear business sense to this.

Wouldn't market awareness on Sony's part be to welcome the online sellers if they found it harder to diversify as they are a company who operate a one brand shop, and the opportunity of a new medium, and the possibilities of reaching millions would most certainly improve their end of year profit ??????

Where's the clear business sense to this if they turn around and say to the online seller that they are now going to charge them more for a product that they did last month, and they can't justify the increase to production costs, overheads, etc, it's purley because tradtional shops can't compete ???

The online seller says **** that, and stocks another brand just because someone was whinging. Sony loses sales ?????

Again it's clear business sense but only to the businesses who are trying to protect themselves from the online traders, no one else

All you are saying here is true, it does indeed make clear market business sense, but only to the people who will profit from it, not to the online retailers, and certainly not the online buyer.

Thus anyone outside this elite little group can they decide if it's a ripoff or not.
    If you were to apply the 80/20 principle here, and I am, it appears to me that you would be in the 2nd 20% mentioned, so I understand you seeing clear business sense. So if we apply it again there was what, five people posted here, one though it good, four thought it dodgy, correct, and we went all politican and had a vote, and the majority could then decide what they should call it, what would it be called _____________?

So if this was to happen because of whatever anyone wants to call it, pressure, request, etc, and the group involved who initally got together, made a plan, and suceeded in getting the result they set out to do.

And their main reason was that they now have a competitor who was leaner, meaner, and cheaper than them.

To me that means a ___________ (fill in the blank)

MorningStar I agree with you as before that it makes clear business sense if you think it makes sense, some of us disagree it just the way it is.

Advertisement