Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found injured bird

• 30-11-2005 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Found a magpie on the grass today not flying/walking. Got to it before the cat did at least.

Brought it inside- put it in a box and covered it. What am i supposed to do next?

If i bring it to the vet will it cost a fortune?

Anybody been in this situation before? What did you do?

And yeah I know magpies are 10-a-penny but the cat is fat enough as it is and I didn't want to watch it getting eaten or anyting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Nothing wrong with saving a wild bird, no matter how common it is.

It'll still be in shock, so keep it in the box somewhere quiet, dark and warm. Usually they're OK to be let go the next morning.

Re: the vet- Vets don't charge for wild animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yep, as said already vets don't charge for wildlife. Keep him warm and quiet until you can get to a vets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Good news!

Got home and the bird was able to fly out of the box (AND fly all over the place, it was fine). I released it.

No idea why it couldn't even walk earlier, when I picked it up, anybody know what might have caused it?

Maybe it had exhaustion??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I F£cking hate Magpies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

I F£cking hate Magpies
    I feckin hate people who pick up threads from the front page and post $hite in them.

• Advertisement

Good news!

Got home and the bird was able to fly out of the box (AND fly all over the place, it was fine). I released it.

No idea why it couldn't even walk earlier, when I picked it up, anybody know what might have caused it?

Maybe it had exhaustion??

Probably just shock. My cat attacked my budgie once and he sat in silence for 2 days afterwards, didn't make so much as a peep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have stunned maggers and pigeons on an almost daily basis!! They fly into my patio door trying to avoid a sparrowhawk who thinks that my back garden is his dining area!! It's an amazing sight to watch!!

The cats are causing some of the scatter too.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wokie

I had the same thing with a magpie during Summer - put it in box and brought it to Vet who said he'd check it out and then give it to a rescue centre - no charge. Also, the people in the queue ahead of me were really nice and let me go in first 'cause the magpie was obviously in shock and we were all afraid it would die of shock listening to the dogs and cats going mental in the waiting room:)
    As an aside on this - it turns out it wasn't the only magpie during the Summer - hundreds of them were killed - literally falling out of trees and sky in front of us and kiddies - extremely distressing sight. I think one of the neighbours was poisoning them :mad: - tho' not too sure. I know some people don't like magpies, but this was truely awful to see. I did get in touch with our local TD who tried to do something about it & in the end the killing stopped - well so far anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had the same thing with a sparrowhawk once who dive-bombed our glass patio doors. I think it was trying to catch one of our cat's rather realistic looking toy mice that was lying on the carpet just inside the door :) Anyway, I took it to the vets who kept it under observation for a few hours until it got itself together and then re-released it back to the area it came from.

Wokie wrote:
    I had the same thing with a magpie during Summer - put it in box and brought it to Vet who said he'd check it out and then give it to a rescue centre - no charge. Also, the people in the queue ahead of me were really nice and let me go in first 'cause the magpie was obviously in shock and we were all afraid it would die of shock listening to the dogs and cats going mental in the waiting room:)
    As an aside on this - it turns out it wasn't the only magpie during the Summer - hundreds of them were killed - literally falling out of trees and sky in front of us and kiddies - extremely distressing sight. I think one of the neighbours was poisoning them :mad: - tho' not too sure. I know some people don't like magpies, but this was truely awful to see. I did get in touch with our local TD who tried to do something about it & in the end the killing stopped - well so far anyway!

There's a superstition that magpies are bad luck which is why some people don't like them. Which is a pile of bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I'd say its more likely people don't like magpies because of their allegedly devastating impact on smaller/indigenous birds. I say allegedly because I don't think it's ever been proven that they do in fact kill/drive away smaller/more loved back garden birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 MsMolko

boneless wrote:
    I have stunned maggers and pigeons on an almost daily basis!! They fly into my patio door trying to avoid a sparrowhawk who thinks that my back garden is his dining area!! It's an amazing sight to watch!!

The cats are causing some of the scatter too.
    If you want to stop them flying into the glass, put some peel-able glass stickers (bird silhouettes) on the inside of your window and it should stop them. I'm pretty sure you can get them from a pet shop/and or vet. Happy to hear the magpie's okay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Nala wrote:
    Nothing wrong with saving a wild bird, no matter how common it is.
    Actually, ornithologists advise against this nowadays due to the possible presence of Avian Flu among wild birds. While the risk of contraction is ridiculously low, the implications if it does are disasterous (human pandemic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

MsMolko wrote:
    If you want to stop them flying into the glass, put some peel-able glass stickers (bird silhouettes) on the inside of your window and it should stop them. I'm pretty sure you can get them from a pet shop/and or vet. Happy to hear the magpie's okay!

I've tried this... dosen't appear to work.

It happens mostly after I've washed the windows!! Think I'll just leave 'em grimey!!

Advertisement