Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Japanese

• 30-11-2005 4:18pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, so im looking to learn japanese over the next year or few, but im not sure how to start going about it. basically, i want to be able to read the text on japanese games, so i dont have to wait 5 years for them to be brought to america, and their crappy voice actors.

i've always wanted to learn it, but i havent really done much about it yet. well, thats gonna change. should i try a linguaphone tapes, or should i start straight into a class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

A lot of part-time courses will only teach conversational japanese, so that won't be of much use to you.

Learning Katakana (see the stickies) should be step one. You can do it in a week of not-too-taxing study. That'll go a long way to help you understand text in some Japanese games. (Katakana is used to write foreign words in Japanese. These words are quite prevalent in video-games. Once you can read the katakana, you can figure out the english word easily. "eg. "botan" = "button" etc)

You'll then need a kanji learning book (to learn the 2000+ characters you'll need to understand your typical game). This isn't mentally taxing, but is very very time consuming and will require a lot of dedication.

The grammar is fairly simple compared to the likes of english and french, and probably could be studied by yourself. It all depends on dedication.

Advertisement