Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiler and plumber to do bathroom floors??

Options
  • 30-11-2005 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

We contacted a tiler that has done other work for us to lay our bathroom floor tiles (lino down at mo). He said that he doesn't want to tile around the sanitaryware so we need to get a plumber to take out the pedestals and replace them once the tiler has tiled under them. Quote given was 500eur for tiling 3 bathroom floors and 375eur for the plumber. Is this normal? Would tilers generally tile around the pedestals? Are there tilers that would take the pedestals out as part of the job?
    Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

I'd suggest if the sink and pedestal are all ready in place to tile around the pedestal. Otherwise you will have to adjust the height of the sink to allow for the thickness of the tile under the pedestal. This wouldn't be a major job for a tiler, it just means doing a manaul cut of the tile. This takes a bit of time and would make the job in general slightly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you are not comfortable doing the whole floor yourself Id suggest getting a tiler in to do it all but tell him to leave the area around the units free and to do it yourself.
    They wont take any traffic and as each piece will be small it wont be too difficult to get it straight/level.
    Get yourself a tile cutter and give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Martin is right. It would be easier if your tiler tiled around the pedestal and loo but remember that if you ever decide to change your bathroom suite the cut floor tiles will probably not match the new suite and you will have to replace them.

Personally, I took out the loo, sink and pedestal when I did mine last year even tho I was selling the house this year so the new owner can change the suite without having to retile the whole bathroom (selling point). It wasn't that big a job but you need to know what you are doing and have a couple of pairs of hands to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

its a much better job tiling under the bathroom fittings, it does take time for a tiler to cut around them and not having to do it would make the job easier but its a much better finish - it isnt too big a job if there is room on the water pipes and the waste pipes for adjustment,

just out of curiosity what sq yardage are the floors all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Augusta

Thanks for all the advice guys. The total area to be tiled is around 8 square meters, we were just unprepared for the cost of two workmen and didn't know what to do for the best really. The tiler was totally against tiling around the sink and loo as he felt it was unprofessional and as we're not the most knowledgable DIYers we're not prepared to have a go ourselves. However, the tiler is now beginning to annoy me as he doesn't seem that bothered about doing the job and we're always chasing him up. Therefore if anyone can recommend a good reliable tiler it would be much appreciated, we're in Swords, Dublin. Thanks!

• Advertisement

is that measurement for the 3 together or each?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Augusta

It's the total area for all 3 (bathroom, ensuite and tiny downstairs loo).

Augusta wrote:
    It's the total area for all 3 (bathroom, ensuite and tiny downstairs loo).

€500 is a very expensive price for that to be honest, id be more thinking on finding a tiler to do it for half that - the normal price i know of is roughly €25 per sq yard, not much different to a sq metre which would work out at €200, and some people will even tell you €25 is too dear :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

€500 is a very expensive price for that to be honest, id be more thinking on finding a tiler to do it for half that - the normal price i know of is roughly €25 per sq yard, not much different to a sq metre which would work out at €200, and some people will even tell you €25 is too dear :eek:
    Do you know a tiler that will do it for half that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

The shop you bought the tiles in will recomend a tile fitter who'll charge €25/sq yard. It is reconised as the trade price for tiling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement