Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MIDI Software

Options
  • 30-11-2005 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get serious about recording some proper tunes on my pc. I've a really good yamaha keyboard, and connect it to the PC with a standard midi-gameport cable. I've been using faily basic MIDI software (Evolution audio lite) for the last few years, and have just been dabbling mostly, never finish songs properly, but I've made some half decent tunes that could really sound good with the right software and knowledge of how to use it.

Anybody got any advice for MIDI software I could use, maybe even any courses you can do around dublin to learn to use the software.

Appreciate any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Well firstly get Savihost. Its a freeware VSTi host so you can load virtual instruments. Then try this site for a round-up of the years best free VSTi's and have fun :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭DiamondJQuimby

I have a smiliar sort of question,

I am in a band without a drummer and I have a failry good laptop that we use to record our sessions I set the BPM of the Song that we are recording and we record to a click track..

I then add drum loops later on to complete the song.

I have seen loads of bands although mostly bad without a real drummer and they are using Midi drums in the background.

Is there a Piece of Software I can get that will do this for our practice sessions.

Something that I can load in the midi files. For ten or so songs and then queue up the Drum tracks for playing along to..

Anyone any ideas on this..

I have searched all of the usual sources SOS, Musictech Mag etc and without knowing the name of what I am looking for I am a bit lost.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

D

Yes there is, Groove Agent is a piece of software that contains some high quality drums kits which work real well for programming beats, the software itself can generate its own beats in different stlye to whatever tempo/time you put it at, eg 160bmp 5/ 9 etc etc, also does half time feels, sidestick and fills. The beats are recorded as midi information so the beats are editable after recording, theres a demo on the steinberg website.

Jebuz: Ill try and find a good freeware vsti seqeuncer so you can actually record those VSTi's properly, I completely forgot about that element.

Edit: Cant find free but this is cheap and cheerful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭DiamondJQuimby

Thanks Man I'll check it out..

So If I have a downloaded GM Midi file I can import it into Groove Agent and Just extract the drum part to play along to??

Cheers

D

Thanks Man I'll check it out..

So If I have a downloaded GM Midi file I can import it into Groove Agent and Just extract the drum part to play along to??

Cheers

D

Well firstly you need a host sequencer thats VSTi compatable. You import the drum part you want and set groove agent as the output instrument. You can then tweak the kit to get the drum sound you want. Groove agent can also create its on midi beats which are very very realistic sounding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Propellerheads Rebirth is now available for free from their site and might be worth a look for techno or metronme stuff.

Really though you need a SEQUENCER which HOSTS VSTs.
    Hosting VSTs means they support the most common audio plugin fomat.

VSTs - virtual instruments, are great and many great VSTs [such as Synth 1 and Triangle 2] can be downloaded for free from www.kvraudio.com ..

Its worth spending money on a good sequencer such as Cubase, Sonar, Ableton Live. There are "light" versions of these which are cheap but still kick ass.

If you pick up one issue of Computer Music [in easons] every issue comes with a free DVD which contains a free VST host sequencer called MUZYs.
    Computer music magazine is also full of great tips and advice and the DVD is usually filled with hundreds of great royalty free samples.

There are other free music apps out there such as hammerhead, hotstepper etc, but if youre serius about getting into audio/midi, get yourself a sequncer such as those mentioned. The only commercial exception is Reason, which is midi only [uses virtual instruments and doesnt record audio in the traditional way] - Reason is a great "virtual studio" for dancey stuff.

Some popular and reccommended software:

Sequencers [audio/midi - + VST host]
    Sonar [pc only]
    Cubase
    Ableton Live
    Tracktion
    Logic [mac only]

VST drum samplers:
    Battery
    BFD
    Guru
    RMIV
    LM4

VST samplers:
    Kontakt
    Halion

VST synths:
    Absynth
    z3ta+
    Vanguard
    Imposcar
    Anything by Arturia [moog etc]

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I have seen loads of bands although mostly bad without a real drummer and they are using Midi drums in the background.

Reason being that very often bands see the drums or loops as something to add to complete a song while in reality the rhythm section often is everything.

People should really spend more time programming cool beats. All the ejay loops or music maker loops are quite cool and you can drag and drop them and create a drum sound that really fits the mood of the song, basically the same way any real drummer would do.

The quality is sometimes even 24bit, fully stereo and sounds fantastic.

I recently added a "Zoom RT 123" drum computer to proceedings and I was surprised just how cool and versatile the loops were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

People should really spend more time programming cool beats.

Or you could be lazy and try Jamztix from rayzoon.com. This has saved me soooo much time since I bought it. So realistic, good kit sound and can use other vstis as a sound source. Gives Groove agent something to worry about seeing as it only costs $100.

Advertisement