Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA World Player of the Year shortlist

• 30-11-2005 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭

Frank Lampard, Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o. No Henry, no Gerrard, what a load of rubbish.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont think Gerrard deserves to be in the list. He is very hit and miss in the PL.

Ronaldinho has to win it for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Of the three named there, I'd give it to Ronaldinho, but Henry stands head and shoulders above all of them. Can't understand how he's not even nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

my vote would also go to henry. he has been leading the arsenal attack by himself for as long as i can remember.
    it is hard to compare lampard - he always has 2 defensive midfielders behind him doing all the hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

my vote would also go to henry. he has been leading the arsenal attack by himself for as long as i can remember. .

Hardly on his own, do you not see how much of Arsenals play goes through Bergkamp? He's a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

can understand ronaldinho and lampards inclusion, but not so much Eto'o in a top 3....would throw someone else in there. Hope Lampard gets it, he was fantastic last season! but cant see past ronaldinho getting it, tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

gotta be ronaldinho for me. As for gerrard he is vastly overrated imo. He is a quality player but not as good as people make him out to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Henry hasn't played much this calender year, has he?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stekelly wrote:
    how much of Arsenals play goes through Bergkamp?
    lol, not much lately!

If Henry doesn't win WPOTY, Ballon d'Or or some such award by the time he is 31 then it'll be a travesty, it's ridiculous that he hasn't won any major personal award yet. 2 years ago he was easily the best player in the world, now he's on a par with Ronaldinho imo. Golden boot(shoe?) winner two seasons in a row with 55 league goals over that stretch. I'm not sure how much he's played this calendar year (would have broken 30 league goals last season had he not got injured), but he's got 11 goals in 10 games + 1 sub so far this season.

If he goes to Barcelona next summer he'll probably win a major award even if all he does is tie his shoelaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Henry should definitely be on the list. The biggest joke is that the past 2 years running, the person who beat him in the Ballon d'or has finished behind him in Fifa's player of the year award... 2 bloody years running. Arsenal haters can talk about how he's overrated all you like, but that is most certainly a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I think Henry should be on the list instead of Eto'o.

Will be close between Ronaldinho and Lampard.

• Advertisement

andyman wrote:
    I think Henry should be on the list instead of Eto'o.

Will be close between Ronaldinho and Lampard.

No, no it won't. Ronaldinho is miles ahead of Lampard... and pretty much everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Kingp35 wrote:
    I dont think Gerrard deserves to be in the list. He is very hit and miss in the PL.

ronaldinho will win it, but how does gerrard not deserve to be on it??

MVP in the chamoions league last year, and he's liverpools ONLY consistently good player

VinnyL wrote:
    ronaldinho will win it, but how does gerrard not deserve to be on it??

MVP in the chamoions league last year, and he's liverpools ONLY consistently good player

He was MVP in the champions league last year because they had to give it to a Liverpool player as they won the tournament. Also since when does being MVP in the champions league count for anything?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

VinnyL wrote:
    and he's liverpools ONLY consistently good player

Thats just it. He is far from consistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ronaldinho is a dead cert, no one in the world can hold a candle to Ronnie especially no one in europe anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

Ronaldinho has it in the bag i think. As homerjay540 said Lampard always has 1or 2defensive players working for him but on the attacking front, he has a deadly shot when hes on a good day so my top 3 would be Ronaldinho, Lampard, Henry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Gerrard :D

Simply nowhere near that level. Agree Eto'o shouldn't be there though.

Ronaldinho is simply miles ahead. It has to be him.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Geg124

Ronaldinho will win it. Would be nice to see Lampard get it but he wont. Ronaldinho has it wrapped up

People who say Eto'o does not deserve to be there simply must not watch la liga. He was pipped to the post last season in regards to top scorer. He is an excellent player, he is currently top scorer. By far one of the best players in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Better than henry? i dont think he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

ronaldinho by a mile...imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Is this the award that is voted for by football managers?

Henry is no doubt an excellent player , but I think the English have every brainwashed everyone into thinking he is the best striker. Having watched etoo play for Mallorca and now Barcelona , I believe Etoo is of equal quality. Eto'o is 24 and Henry is 28 , at the way Eto'o is playing at barca he could become an even better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Ye, and I believe its only international managers.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nunu wrote:
    Ye, and I believe its only international managers.........

I wonder who picked for ireland then . . .. <ponders>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

who'd have guessed pat mccourt didn't get a nomination, must be a micky mouse award then

Eto'o will need to equal Forlan first before he can equal Henry

FFS he was pipped at the last day of the season for top scorer.

Good for him, he also had Ronaldinho et al in a title-winning Barca team giving him the ammunition, while Henry would have finished miles ahead of both of them had he not been injured for the last 7 weeks of the season.

Eto'o is an excellent player. There are quite a few of those around though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VinnyL wrote:

Excuse me!!! Jamie Carragher was mr consistencey while Gerrard was up and down in form last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

How could a player nowhere near the top in Europe be included for World? :p

Ronaldinho, by far, farther, and farther again. God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is this the award that is voted for by football managers?
    Voted by international managers and captains. They pick their top 3 players for the year. Its down to a shorlist now but FIFA already know who the winner is and they just get the top 3 over for the awards. It was televised last year and it was a decent enough event. If I remember correctly Ian Wright and Kelly Dalglish hosted it.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Voted by international managers and captains. They pick their top 3 players for the year. Its down to a shorlist now but FIFA already know who the winner is and they just get the top 3 over for the awards. It was televised last year and it was a decent enough event. If I remember correctly Ian Wright and Kelly Dalglish hosted it.

Ok guys thanks for clearing that up, thought so but wanted to make sure. Maybe the fact that France didn't have a great year may be part of Henry not getting nominated. I'm a Man Utd fan and would have to say I'm actually a little disappointed Henry didn't get nominated some of the football he has played has been sensational. Ronaldinho to win though for sure, managers will always go for flair.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Darren Fletcher should be in there tbh.

As the pretty girl who hands out the award at the end?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Well... He does run like a girl, and play like a girl... I suppose he should.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ronaldino should pip it but Lampard is easily the best PL player for the last year or more, but Ronaldino has that flair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Kingp35 wrote:

I agree, gerrard is good but erratic, Ronaldinho should win it by miles, Frank Lampard in Second!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I personally think it should be Ronaldinho, Eto and Henry with Lampard just behind them in Fourth and then Gerrard possibly.

As for the winner, come on, do we even have to debate it? Ronaldinho by an enormous distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

it has to b ronaldinho no doubt lampard dont like the chelsea midfield make him look good very good shot knows how to hit a ball and bags a lot of goals because of it but ronaldinho deserves to win it he is at his peak and probably will win it the next 2 or 3 years as well

• Advertisement

For ****s sake, just use some basic punctuation will ya?

cheesedude wrote:
    I personally think it should be Ronaldinho, Eto and Henry with Lampard just behind them

That sounds like some attack alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

If any of my friends sent me a message like that, i'd actually be pissed off i have stupid friends.

Slash/Ed it would be some attack...could happen in the summer if the Henry rumours are to be believed.

With the emergence of Messi especially, I can't see there being anything in the Henry rumours tbh.

Advertisement