Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kinks-Most underrated band of our time

Options
  • 30-11-2005 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

I am a HUGE Kinks fan and I think they are the most underrated band of our time. Ray Davies is one of the finest songwriters, also.

Why is it that they never were as popular as their contempories? Was it because they were banned from the USA for having the word 'bum' in the song 'plastic man'. :D

Does anyone else appeciate their genius?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Yeah absolutely. Controversial probably but id take them over the beatles most days a week. Just pure 60s pop, with great lyrics and really intelligent. Didnt they pretty much invent hard rock or metal or somethin with You Really Got Me?

The fact that theyre not that well know gives them a certain "underground" appeal i must say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dunno if the Kinks are underrated, by those in the know.

Frankly every home should have a copy of The Kinks 20 Greatest Hits (1978 Ronco!) and every home should throw out that copy of Bat Out of Hell to make room! :D

I proberly should buy a few more albums esp stuff from post 1970 when they went into popular decline and then focused on the USA in the 80s.

Mike.

ps I rate the Kinks and The Who above Beatles and Stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

mike65 wrote:
    I dunno if the Kinks are underrated, by those in the know.

"by those in the know"..definition: not under-rated.

The Kinks are fantastic alright. What do you expect deedee lepoopoo? More recognition? More MTV maybe? You know their music and know how good it is so educate your friends who dont and that will improve the recognition the kinks should get from our generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Not sure if they are underated at all. I have a greatest hits and I love 20 amazings songs. I liked so much I bought 2 other full proper albums. Iwas disappointed. Not very cohesive at all and lots of misses. Good band but the work of heard doesn't suggest brilliance. I would put them on par with The Lovin' Spoonful

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

chern0byl wrote:
    "

More MTV maybe? .

No thanks!!!:eek:

I mean people should recognise their pure genius both within the industry and normal punters.

When I am talking to friends about music and stuff, I rate the kinks before the stones and the beatles and they have the attitude, meh, I have their greatest hits and I love that song from the Bulmers ad, but that's it.

Just wanted to put it out there, the immense love for The Kinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Have to agree, they're not underrated. Just look how much play they get on the radio now and Bulmers ads decades later, I think people acknowledge how good the Kinks were. I don't know how you can say they're not well known, I would be amazed if I spoke to somebody who didn't know Waterloo Sunset or Lola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

One of my big problems with the Kinks is their complete lack of consistency, sure I know the album format wasn't as important in the early to mid 1960's but they had a serious lack of quality control (as had the Beach Boys). Ray Davies is one of the finest pop songwriters of all time but he could produce pap as well. This probably stems from the fact that Ray Davies himself produced several (if not most) of their albums, and possibly wasn't objective enough to separate the wheat from the chaff (as it were), also a trained producer would have brought a completely different perspective to some of the songs. I definately think Ray wasn't a good enough producer for his songs.

I might be alone in really liking some of their 1980's stuff, songs like Destroyer, Come Dancing and Better Things. I wouldn't class the Kinks as underrated, band like Love or Moby Grape might be underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Yep they are/were a cracking band and I too would rate them aboe the stones and beatles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

No - I don't think they're under-rated. Like Mike and others say up there, 'those in the know' would rate them quite highly. I'm not sure if they produced a self contained album that could sit 'shoulder to shoulder' with, say, Abbey Road or Exile on Main Street, but their singles were absolutely brilliant, and I can't think of one that I know which I don't like; this is more than i can say for the Beatles or Stones....

Days, for the record, would be my favourite song...although waterloo sunset is a topper as well...

Advertisement