Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP 64bit & AMD 64

• 30-11-2005 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all

Im consedering getting a AMD64 PC as a second computer.
    Basicly is there any use getting a AMD64 with XP pro 64 bit.
    Ive been told that there is no point in geting a 64bit system because not a lot of softwear is 64bit i don't think that's a big issue its backwords compadable & its probley faster then a P4 2.8Ghz. Ive always been a big fan of AMD but never actualy had an AMD system always had intel & at the price some AMD64 bit systems are compared to a intel P4 system.
    anyway any one out there have an AMD64 & What do You think of it.
    and are they worth it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

There is a lack of software that takes full advantage of 64bit processors at the moment. However, there's bound to be a substantial increase in the forthcoming year. And until then, as you said, it's backward compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Perhaps a bit OT, but do the AMD 64-bit flavours of the main linux distros have the benefits that 64-bit promises?

Maybe you could dual-boot 64-bit linux with regular XP and play with that until XP64 has some decent drivers and software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

In short: Yes.
    At the moment, *nix-based OS' have an advantage due to a headstart (Of about 10 years..). 64bit Linux distros shipped before XP64 .. and one of the key issues with taking up 64bit Windows is the lack of drivers or issues with available drivers. (Which,although present in *nix circles, are somewhat more likely to be overcome sooner..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had suse linux 10.0 x64 running great on my system, with all of my hardware working fine, including 3d accelleration on both ATI and nvidia cards (switched from one to the other after a while).

Sadly I went to reinstall it there the other day and my poxy dvd is knackered :/

Advertisement