Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thank god the govt decided to decentralise

Options
  • 30-11-2005 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

wow, i remember it as if it were only yesterday. i used to feel dizzy and regularly got pains in the back of my legs. it wasn't natural. most people wouldn't have believed it had they not experienced it themselves. imagine:
    yes, the pressure was starting to take its toll. ireland was tipping over from the uneven spread of the populus in this country. for all these years about one third of the people of ireland were situated in the greater (greater) dublin area. the affect of this abnormailty => this little island was about to flip 180º along its eastern seaboard, an axis which went directly through dublin city. the projected result of this? well galway city was expected to end up somewhere west of chester. at least the residents of killarney weren't expecting to get such a culture shock - it looked like they were going to end up in hereford.
    however, as you all know this never happened. and we can all thank one person, without whose intervention we would all be doomed. along came the fast thinking member of government who goes by the name of Charlie McCreevy. he was the minister for finance back in 2003 and his brainstorm involved moving tens of thousands of dublins civil servants out of our capital and thus relieving the strain on the eastern side of our country.
    and in order to ensure a smooth exit from dublin the government has drawn up its national development plan. in it are a number of roads projects which will assist the mass exodus from the big city.
    those are road improvments from: Dublin to Galway, Dublin to Belfast, Dublin to Limerick, Dublin to Cork, Dublin to Waterford, and lets not forget the mighty dublin ring road. yet i am confused as to why there is one other road mentioned in this National Development Plan - one along the west. sure what good would one that do for the people of dublin???

and now on to my question. from what you have seen over the last two years are you impressed with the governments decentralisation plans or do you get the feeling that they were just trying to make room for conference centers, sports stadia and high rise appartment blocks?

Advertisement