Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Country Broadband

• 30-11-2005 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of these guys? they have been approved to install wireless broadband in my area! through the group scheme thingy

www.computronics.ie

Infairness the guy on the phone sounds decent ...and he sayes there installing "wireless" broadband...am i expecting to much or should i be able to game with this connection?

I dont have any more details @ the moment

Area: Ballyclough,liscarrol,churchtown,doneraile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

hehe, the exact same thing happened to me :D Through the Group broadband scheme a local company www.cellcom.ie made broadband available in my area in moycullen galway.

I didn`t get it yet, I let a neighbour get it first. I was seriously disappointed with it when I looked at it last week. Pinging websites like www.boards.ie www.google.ie clarity.jolt.co.uk came back with pings between 120ms and 240ms. All I want the connection for is gaming but with speeds like that I would be wasting my time. They are doing more work on the service in my area shortly but I`m not holding my breath.

If I were you:
    1. Ring up computronics and find out who they are buying the bandwidth off (probably IrishBroadBand)
    2. You can bet that a local business or neighbour of yours will sign up straight away, just wait a week or so then have a look at their connection
    3. Do simple tests like go to command prompt and ping the websites I mentioned. To game you would need responses of around 20ms to .ie (irish) and 40ms to english sites (clarity.jolt.co.uk is a game server). You would need these pings to remain constant, so repeat the test a few times, and you need pretty much 0 loss to game.
    4. Also do a trace of all the hops, e.g. in command prompt "tracert www.boards.ie",
      this would also give a good idea of the potential to use the connection for gaming.

MR DAZ wrote:
    Infairness the guy on the phone sounds decent ...
    Don`t pay ANY attention to him. When I rang up cellcom and asked the guy; "would the connection be suitable for gaming and would it get proper pings with 0 loss?" (as above). He goes; "awh yea definitely, it`ll be just like adsl".
    I bet my guy sounded even more "decent" than yours. Don`t listen to him, he`d tell you exactly what you want to hear to get you on their 12month contract.
    "Nothing personal, its just business..." :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ruffty^ wrote:
    If I were you:
    1. Ring up computronics and find out who they are buying the bandwidth off (probably IrishBroadBand)
    Probably a Satellite link, contact Country wotsits again to check their backhaul links .
    I bet my guy sounded even more "decent" than yours. Don`t listen to him, he`d tell you exactly what you want to hear to get you on their 12month contract.
    "Nothing personal, its just business..." :mad:
    if he wont tell you the what the backhaul is you may be sure its satellite .

In Kerry 3 schemes were approved in phase 2 of the GBS

1. Sliabh Luachra (Wireless should be fine for gaming)
    2. North Kerry ..Newport (Wireless should be fine for gaming)
    3. Tarbert (sat backhaul, forget it)

All the phase 1 schemes in Kerry were satellite

If the schemes that are supposed to be wireless turn out to be satellite you should contact the department , www.dcmnr.ie , to pull their funds.

Advertisement