Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll Kelly vs the Northside

Options
  • 30-11-2005 9:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Rite, does Ross (or Paul Howard) actually have a point in his book? Are the majority of northsiders knacks n are southsiders fearful of crossing the liffey?

Not trying to incite hatred here as im from the sticks, just looking for opinions. Is Howth classier than Foxrock? Shud Tallaght be relocated to an odd number postcode? Shud Lucan be moved to Offaly?

Shud Golf drivers be automatically be given 6 penalty points for just buying the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no that guy who writes that book is a complete tool, not a strimmer roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I think its TOTR ! Myself and Tiernan are going down for a few pints to Kielys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

foking northsoiders!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno about any serious point, but the books are about as funny as cancer. And not that hilarious clown cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I dunno about any serious point, but the books are about as funny as cancer. And not that hilarious clown cancer.
    I've never read them and I already hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

The books are class.

Imo he's ripping the piss out of snobbish southsiders as it's seen through their eyes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I made it through about 3 chapters of one book. Long drawn out and repetative.

Boring.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

if ya went to those type schools ya'd find it funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've read them all and I found them hilarious.The only negative thing about them is what they've done to 13/14 year old girls who view the book as some kind of guide to life and are now going around thinking that in Dublin 4, they actually speak like that and if they speak like that then they'll come across in some way superior, whereas anyone I've met from Dublin4 doesn't actually speak like that so they're(the 14 year old girls) just making an arse of themselves.

They come into the store I work in with their moms, who I've noticed either a: Don't speak like that,have a neutral accent or
    b:Have a bit of a Dublin accent(i.e their daughters are ashamed of their background so they're trying to make themselves look "better" by putting on these stupid accents)

It's not confined to Dublin either, I've heard of girls in Dundalk,Cork, Kerry,Galway who are putting on these accents and the only thing you can do is laugh at them, and point, and keep laughing.
    Stupid boggers, like what are they playing at? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Yeah, I go to one of those schools..when I first read it I really really thought that it was my friends brother, they're exactly the same person! I know what you mean about d4s though, I'm in d6 and there's a bit of a cross over, alot of peopla are wanna be d4s, and really snobby..but then again, I'm sure when you get to know them they're really nice. Odds are, at least some of them have to be, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

faceman wrote:
    Not trying to incite hatred here

He's trying to incite hatred....SEIZE HIM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

rb_ie wrote:
    It's not confined to Dublin either, I've heard of girls in Dundalk,Cork, Kerry,Galway who are putting on these accents and the only thing you can do is laugh at them, and point, and keep laughing.

I went out with a girl from Limerick and her and ALL her mates talked like that. One of them had gone to school in Alex, fair enough, but the rest were all dyed in the wool limerick folk. Was bizzarre and led to me referring to them all as L4

Dustaz wrote:
    I went out with a girl from Limerick and her and ALL her mates talked like that. One of them had gone to school in Alex, fair enough, but the rest were all dyed in the wool limerick folk. Was bizzarre and led to me referring to them all as L4

I think it's one of the most desperate things I've ever come across, fúcking gobshi'ites tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Quincy

How can you not think that his books and columns are really funny! Anyone who spends 120 yoyos on a pair of "dubes" should be shot! These brain dead D4 muppets are being churned out of fee paying & "rugby schools" at an alarming rate & I'm sick of having to listen to them sh*te on about make-up/false tan and "like oh my God roish, did you see what Saoirse's ex's cousin's girlfriend is like wearing tonight - she like so tote bought that in like Dunnes or something" every time I have to queue for a drink or the toilets when I'm out in town I have endure this kind of crap!

I know not all southsiders are like that, just like not all northsiders are knackbags but does anyone else share my fear that these D4 Ross O'Carroll-Kelly heads are multiplying and taking over the city. I swear to God a trip to the ladies in club Dandelion on a friday night would provide enough material for at least five new books!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

lucan moved to offaly? whats the reasoning behind that? never heard of these books-but then again i dont read books

Zebra3 wrote:
    The books are class.

Imo he's ripping the piss out of snobbish southsiders as it's seen through their eyes.
    yeah im thinking that myself no one could be that bad!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

they're clever, i think he's trying to rip it out of everybody. His articles in the sports section as Paul Howard are better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lucan moved to offaly? whats the reasoning behind that? never heard of these books-but then again i dont read books

Just buy the Sunday Tribune then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

The books are painful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭samurai kebab

I absolutely hate the man,have you ever read some of his articles in the paper,i mean slaggin the northside as being scum is ok by me but the fact that he names areas and calls them ****holes makes him a wanker,i remember him slagging tallaght and donaghmede among others.donaghmede is right beside where i live and i think it's very insulting to people who live in these areas to read this stuff and have worked hard to buy themselves houses and raise familys in these areas and it will only deter future buyers from these areas.

I absolutely hate the man,have you ever read some of his articles in the paper,i mean slaggin the northside as being scum is ok by me but the fact that he names areas and calls them ****holes makes him a wanker,i remember him slagging tallaght and donaghmede among others.donaghmede is right beside where i live and i think it's very insulting to people who live in these areas to read this stuff and have worked hard to buy themselves houses and raise familys in these areas and it will only deter future buyers from these areas.

The fun is in the naming and shaming

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

for the idiots!

he is taking the absolute piss out of everyone . especially the d4 crowd.

anyone who sees ross's views as those of the authors or any normal person should go back to reading anne and barry books. Its sterotypical satire

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

Quincy wrote:

I know not all southsiders are like that, just like not all northsiders are knackbags but does anyone else share my fear that these D4 Ross O'Carroll-Kelly heads are multiplying and taking over the city.

I share this fear.

it is happening too :(

Edit: initially I couldn't get through a paragraph of those books, more recently when a friend made me read on one holidays it was strangely compelling, train-wreck type reading which I didn't actually enjoy that much (because it was scarily true , especially if you went to UCD) but at times hilarious, and I felt I had to get through it, as fast as I could, get it out of my system and get on with my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Actually what is happening is that D4 filth are growing as a large class surpassed only by the extreme growth of scobie filth from multiple vectors such as Dublin East,Dublin N.West,Dublin S.West Dublin N.East

Have no fears both societies will battle it out in a bloody coup .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Grimes wrote:
    for the idiots!

he is taking the absolute piss out of everyone . especially the d4 crowd.

anyone who sees ross's views as those of the authors or any normal person should go back to reading anne and barry books. Its sterotypical satire

It's a sneaky reverse píss-take IMO. Most of the people who enjoy it probably really do harbour those kind of obnoxious opinions, or at least a slightly watered-down version. That's why they all lap it up so much!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think he speaks truth...he does pluck these ideas from the wind ya know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

i think he speaks truth...he does pluck these ideas from the wind ya know

Yeah, I just saw him on Turbirdy Tonight and my God do I know people identical to that and it is funny the way they don't realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Blackrock College RFC isn't tied to the school, the club is in Monkstown/Blackrock, and closer to CBC Monkstown than Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Funkstard wrote:
    Blackrock College RFC isn't tied to the school, the club is in Monkstown/Blackrock, and closer to CBC Monkstown than Rock.

So you're one of them.

Advertisement