Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ross O'Carroll Kelly vs the Northside

Options

Comments

s-a-t-i-r-e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

s-a-t-i-r-e
    p-i-s-s-p-o-o-r satire! :D

Actually, I don't think it's that bad. Some of it can be unnervingly accurate. At the same time it's also a satire of how the northside intelligentsia percieve dumb southsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Actually, I don't think it's that bad. Some of it can be unnervingly accurate. At the same time it's also a satire of how the northside intelligentsia percieve dumb southsiders.
    I think how much it 'strikes a chord' with you depends on how much you belong to one or other of these groups. Me, I'm 'southside intelligentsia', so it just rolls straight off my back... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭xha1r

if you think that d4 heads are multiplying, then why would you have a prob with that? focking knacks these days, they're actually breeding! the city is being ruined by northsiders, a well must be built over the liffey!

southside for life yo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

xha1r wrote:
    southside for life yo.

Word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 molloyzer

come on lads! Them books are the best thing since sliced bread, and i'm not from D4

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Niall123 wrote:
    Word

Lucan...yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

xha1r wrote:
    if you think that d4 heads are multiplying, then why would you have a prob with that? focking knacks these days, they're actually breeding! the city is being ruined by northsiders, a well must be built over the liffey!

because you pretentious southsiders are ridiculous people. im a northsider and im not poor not a knacker and neither are my friends. i played a match in the southside and was lucky to get out alive.the knack thing is not restricted to the northside and most people on the northside arent knacks. portmarnock malahide clontarf and castleknock are all on the northside and we dont exactly live in council estates. the books are really funny but he's ripping the piss and by accident created a god who only morons look up to. p.s dubes are the ugliest shoes on the planet and who wears shoes with tracksuitbottoms!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Never really read any of his books bit what i can gather its a typical NS/SS debate ,

Ns- Knackers
    Ss- Poshies

Simple truth of it is we never picked this haterid of the ns/ss debate from the ground we all have, rivals in this world, Dublin vs Cork, Ireland Vs UK, Rest of the world Vs America.

My view on this very old debate is this, i have never known any rugger buggers or dubie girls, but i know they exsist from the diffrent media
    This book and the fm104 phone show, which most people belive as gospel simple fact is there are nice people in rough estates and rough people in nice estates, and snobby people in rough estates and nice ones.

I'm from the Northside and grew up in Donaghmede and am now living and working near Darndale and was schooled with people from Darndale and i have never had a bit of trouble and i'm no Knacker.

There are all diffrent people living all over world, so just because someone is from Iraq and has a beard dosen't mean he is a terrorist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Yeah of course that's true. That's actually the point of RO'CK, the creator of the character is taking the piss out of the whole NS/SS debate. The problem starts when people take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm from D4 and it's all true! It's exactly as it is....but most of you are knacks anyway who love the book because it gives you ammo to slag the people you begrudge...but i'm above all that, I have money, a trust fund and a ****ing massive inheritance coming my way...haha! The jokes on you! Lottery of life my friends!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

DubGuy

I'm from D4 and it's all true! It's exactly as it is....but most of you are knacks anyway who love the book because it gives you ammo to slag the people you begrudge...but i'm above all that, I have money, a trust fund and a ****ing massive inheritance coming my way...haha! The jokes on you! Lottery of life my friends!

Yawning-thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

DubGuy wrote:

you fool, you can't let on it's real... only will they remain in poverty if they remain ignorant...tisk*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

DubGuy wrote:

LOL Billy No Mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Zebra3 wrote:
    The books are class.

Imo he's ripping the piss out of snobbish southsiders as it's seen through their eyes.

They are funny for a bit. Read one and its ok Read two and its just about bareable, read more and you'll hate them. Its just the same joke again and again. Oh look he spelled it ROYSH instead of right for the one thousand two hundred and thirty third FU*KING time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!On second thoughts there crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!oneoneoneoneone1111111111111111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

4Xcut wrote:
    They are funny for a bit. Read one and its ok Read two and its just about bareable, read more and you'll hate them.

I've read all of them and don't hate them, so you're wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the books are brilliant. not supposed to be a factual work, just hillarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 d42dcore

okay first and fore most anybody that slags of dubes are just pathetic. Why would you bother slagging off shoes that look good even with tracksuit bottoms and are really comfy?

the idea is you grow up and go to school with a certain clique who eventually devise their own culture. i happen to have grown up in Dalkey/Donnybrook(my parents are divorced) so i happen to wear dubes, fat man pants, go to mount anville, and love abercrombie and fitch and everything else you slag off. if i happened to be born in the ns maybe i would of been wearing tracksuits (namely velour) but i was not. so there you have it dont slag me just because of where i was brought up cause i dont know many south siders that bother to slag ns, we're just not bothered. and yes by the way i am proud to be a ss.just likeyour probably proud of being an ns.

i'd much rather be a a d4 head than a skobe, a knack or a ska.

d42dcore wrote:
    So, you are implying that if you're not a D4 head you must be a skobe, knacker or skanger.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

d42dcore wrote:
    okay first and fore most anybody that slags of dubes are just pathetic. Why would you bother slagging off shoes that look good even with tracksuit bottoms and are really comfy?

the idea is you grow up and go to school with a certain clique who eventually devise their own culture. i happen to have grown up in Dalkey/Donnybrook(my parents are divorced) so i happen to wear dubes, fat man pants, go to mount anville, and love abercrombie and fitch and everything else you slag off. if i happened to be born in the ns maybe i would of been wearing tracksuits (namely velour) but i was not. so there you have it dont slag me just because of where i was brought up cause i dont know many south siders that bother to slag ns, we're just not bothered. and yes by the way i am proud to be a ss.just likeyour probably proud of being an ns.

You forgot to mention that you're about 10 years old and stole the personality you claim as your own from a book.

Fcking off topic posting.

Oh and where you live has absolutely nothing to do with what you wear, you wear dubes because you think its the cool thing to do or because someone you want to be does(unless they happen to live near you), as with the rest of the stuff you claim you do as a result of living where you do.

Now, stick to posting on topic like a good girl or leave.

So, you are implying that if you're not a D4 head you must be a skobe, knacker or skanger.:rolleyes:

no im just saying i personally if i had to be stereotyped would rather be what people already stereotype me as than any of the others.

rb_ie wrote:
    You forgot to mention that you're about 10 years old and stole the personality you claim as your own from a book.

Fcking off topic posting.

Oh and where you live has absolutely nothing to do with what you wear, you wear dubes because you think its the cool thing to do or because someone you want to be does(unless they happen to live near you), as with the rest of the stuff you claim you do as a result of living where you do.

Now, stick to posting on topic like a good girl or leave.
    im not 10 years old i'm 18. so get over yourself. the post was not off topic as i talking about the cliques that are discussed in the ross ocaroll kelly books. i would appreciate if you would stop being so condescending towards me just because you have different opinions than me does not make you better. and believe it or not i couldnt be bothered to "steal" a personality i am who i am.

i wear dubes by the way cosh their part of my uniform.

d42dcore wrote:
    im not 10 years old i'm 18.
    Pfft, yeah right, you expect me to believe that any self-respecting 18 year old would register on here as "d42dcore"?
    d42dcore wrote:
    so get over yourself. the post was not off topic as i talking about the cliques that are discussed in the ross ocaroll kelly books.
    No, you're talking about yourself. Unless you happen to be Ross O'Carroll-Kelly or maybe Paul Howard, I suggest you stop.
    d42dcore wrote:
    i would appreciate if you would stop being so condescending towards me just because you have different opinions than me does not make you better. and believe it or not i couldnt be bothered to "steal" a personality i am who i am.
    You don't have opinions, you borrowed them from a character in a book.

rb_ie wrote:

You don't have opinions, you borrowed them from a character in a book.
    :eek: of course i have opinions,everybody has opinions are you just to socially challenged to understand that!!??and as for being eighteen,believe it or not i am and i dont have to prove myself to you,your the one thats acting like a ten year old,alright???!!!!!!!!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Ha.

d42dcore wrote:
    :eek: of course i have opinions,everybody has opinions are you just to socially challenged to understand that!!??and as for being eighteen,believe it or not i am and i dont have to prove myself to you,your the one thats acting like a ten year old,alright???!!!!!!!!!!!:p

For an eighteen year old your grammar is shocking.

Ok, so you have opinions that you stole from a book and claimed as your own and they are now "yours".Is that better?

Or, you have opinions that you formed from reading a book.
    Suits me either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 minismile

Dubes are not comfy they are as about as uncomfartable as shoes get and I know cause I really do have to wear them for my school uniform. I live in an area known for its upper class social **** bags and believe me it is worse than what you actually read about. The books are funny though and i had to laugh in one of my english classes. The girls and guys were all discussing the books and saying how The Teenage Dirtbag Years where their favourite one out of the series but they are so thick that they did not figure that the people in the book are based on their obnoxious characters cause the girls I go to school with are the real girls in the ross o carroll kelly books and the guys are the dube loving ross o carroll kellys themselves. I think they just love the books cause they can relate to the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Let's all cease this senseless bickering. We all know it was originally started by operatives sent from the People's Republic of Cork anyway. "Divide and conquer". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

d42dcore wrote:
    no im just saying i personally if i had to be stereotyped would rather be what people already stereotype me as than any of the others.
    Fair enough, I jumped the gun a bit there. Although I'd much prefer to be called a skanger than a D4 head. Every dub has a certain percentage of skanger in them anyway, no matter what they like to think (me included, although technically not a dub).

Advertisement