Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Differential aptitude tests(DAT's)

• 30-11-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi just wondering has anybody done these yet? If so what were they like? Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

We did them the day we got our JC results. Fun, I do know.

They're fairly grand. As in, you can't study for them, they're mostly boring, and for the love of god be honest on the speed round. I saw some girls going back to fill in answers on the speed section during the later rounds, which is completely and utterly pointless.
    The reason they do them is to give you a reasonable idea of different areas you're good at, for career purposes, and if you cheat on it you're only gonna give yourself inaccurate results.

But.. okay, after that rant, all the test is is shading in little boxes. For hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Boring repetitive work you say? Sounds like my sort of thing! We're doing the DATs soon, is it possible to fail? (my current greatest fear)

As far as I know, you can score badly on every section, which would imply that you have no particular talent, but I do not know how easy it is.

It takes YEARS to correct (despite being machine corrected), we're not getting our results until March or so.
    Oh the suspense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Oh thanks they actually sound quite fun.A day of ticking boxes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

We did them in third year and got the results about a month or so after we did them. They're are different sections like mechanical reasoning, grammar, speed writing etc. and when you get the results, you should see what you're good at and what you're not so good at, and there's a list of careers to go with the different skills.
    Of course this doesn't help at all if all your results in the different sections are so close.
    I don't really like the whole idea of it. If the DATS tell your that you'd be a great engineer, but you have no interest in becoming an engineer at all, it urges you to go down a route you don't necessarily want to go down.

• Advertisement

Yes, some strange people enjoy the ticking of boxes.

(Don't hate me because I love the gritty crumble of graphite in an oval area.)

Diarmsquid wrote:
    I don't really like the whole idea of it. If the DATS tell your that you'd be a great engineer, but you have no interest in becoming an engineer at all, it urges you to go down a route you don't necessarily want to go down.
    Nah, I don't think it's like that. I mean, it's not really urging you, it's just telling you that you may be good in that area. It could be helpful to people who haven't considered certain options or who have no idea of what they want to be, or it may just be an eye-opener for someone who thought they had no abilities at all.

Yeah, I suppose your right, but then again, if you look at ti the other way and you wanted to be an engineer but the DATS said that you wouldn't be a great one, it might put you off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

OMG did anyone else think that the space relations one was IMPOSSIBLE?? They'l prob tell me I'm great at that, cos I guessed every single one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Well, I got in the 90's for all the sections except 1 iirc (in which I got like 46 or some lowness), and we all know I aint too bright. I wouldn't worry about them. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did mine today, space relations was a b*tch...Meh, they weren't too hard. Though saying that I'll probably do really badly now... Oh, someone did get 85 out of 100 hundred for the speed test which was INSANE. Considering my 68.:o

Is the space relations the one where you see the flat shape and have to pick which 3d one it is? I thought that was okay.
    The abstract one - about finding patterns and stuff, THAT was a bit weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Hi ok, I did the DAT's today.They were ok except for those space relation things and that mechanical one they were confusing me! I know I didn't do really well in anything but ah well.Is it just me or is it impossible to even get halfway finished in those speed tests.I was trying to colour the boxes in properly and didn't get alot done.Can't wait for the results now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Apple Gal

Is it like in Hey Arnold when they got what jobs they would be good at? Ahhhh long time since I saw Hey Arnold!

Something like that, yeah. Your guidance counsellor just looks at the results and interprets them, I think, and tells you what areas you're good at and what job prospects that offers, the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Alright, 'fess up, who got Lapdancer as his/her recommended proffesion?

Just you, Liz. =)

I wonder whats the weirdest job someone was told they'd be good at! Makes ya think don't it?? Or not but I find it fascinating!!!!! I'm getting insperation from the room now. Christmas Tree maker that would be a good one!!!!!!!!!!

You mean...someone that grows trees? Like a gardener perhaps?

Yeah but gardener doesn't sound as cool as Christmas Tree Maker!!! I wouldm't mind getting Brain surgeon or Space astronaut!!! That would be pretty cool!

• Advertisement

LMAO @ Christmas Tree Maker.

Well, I don't think the results actually come back with a little card saying what job you should get... (though there are "Career Guidance Programs" I've seen that basically ask you a bunch of questions and then come back with an answer... Me? A dentist? They lie.)
    It's just... I would say, your career guidance teacher will say "Hm, well, according to this, your spacial relations are very good.. so perhaps something in engineering or architecture?"

Sorry to burst your bubbles...

Oh, I was looking forward to it! I thought I could be like the people in Hey Arnold!! Ah well!

Our guidence counciler gave us an envelope with your results in it and another sheet of paper with jobs or careers that need that certain skill.

Eg.
    Clerical Speed and Accuracy:
    Secetary, any office job... etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just you, Liz. =)
    Me? A dentist? They lie.)
    Yeah, dentists have spent decades getting out of the pain business. :p

I can't wait for when I get to do!!! How long does it take to do the whole test??

It took up a whole school day for us. I think we got off early though.

The whole day!!!!!!!!! Thats amazing! So a day of just ticking boxes.Mmmmm interesting.Now that I think about it,it doesn't sound too bad!!

I found the concept weirdly interesting. (Then again, I find tiny shoes interesting. They're so damn tiny.)
    It's a way to do an exam that's different to most things you'll have done before.
    It does take forever though. There are loads of different sections, some of them longer than others, and they all have to be introduced and explained which takes so damn long. I think people get the picture as to how to FILL IN A BOX after the first say, three examples, but no, they continue...

• Advertisement

I got my mock timetable and I have my DAT's on the very last day for 4 hours! My sister said it's mad fun and she got 8 A's which is very impressive especially for her! So do you study for them?

No.
    Have you... actually read the first page of this thread?

Nice that you've got them so soon. You'll get the results... before next year. =) I did mine back in September, still waiting on results.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

we did them before christmas, and the fella beside me cheated off me! in a test to see what YOU would be suited to do after school! Whats the point!

There is a rumour going around that they are cancelling my schools dat's until 4th year even though we were supposed to have them in two weeks.I was looking forward to them because I love ticking boxes and all that stuff!

Advertisement