Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOD power trip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Have you PM'd the mod in question and discussed it with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The last time I pm'd a mod about my observation of overdoing it (on someone else), I just got the GOD answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Thats some pretty retarded moderation going on there. Mods should get a clue before they edit other peoples posts. The guy clearly isnt breaking any law, or even any boards rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Boards is full of power trip mods! All mods i have come across except for Seamus(after hours) have not being very helpful at all. I think mods should be changed every 2-3 years. Refresh the place a bit!

The last time I pm'd a mod about my observation of overdoing it (on someone else), I just got the GOD answer.

You got a reply :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

hardkore general, hardkore.

Continue the good fight.

Moriarty wrote:
    hardkore general, hardkore.

Continue the good fight.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

FINALLY! The revolution HAS FINALLY DAWNED!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50463820#post50463820

Discussion on recording ntl programs on a Tivo.

Should mods be allowed such super powers if they are a bit clueless? All those who disagree please stand up and tell us when you threw your VCR in the bin....

Maybe you should have contacted the mod concerned, rather than post smart assed comments before you come in here? If DMC made a mistake, I doubt very much that posts like yours would help matters.

In fact, it was your only contribution to the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50466844&postcount=14

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

amp wrote:
    FINALLY! The revolution HAS FINALLY DAWNED!
    Could all moderators please back against the wall? Thats all moderators, against the wall.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Climbs on the wall to look down on people :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Dunno about DMC, buut Con is a decent and fair Mod. As it happens I have a similar "hack" with my Tivo box. There is nothing illegal in this, and I am not in breach of any licencing agreements with any suppliers of digital programs.

The same way boards are not breaking their agreements with VBulletin with the "hacks" they have done of the BB software.

I would assume a PM to the mod(s) concerned and a couple of days for them to "check it out" would resolve the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

thats like turning up in court to protest a speeding fine and being told upon arrival by the judge that the fine is upheld because the punishment for speeding is a fine and it's irrelevant of whether you're guilty or not.

thats like turning up in court to protest a speeding fine and being told upon arrival by the judge that the fine is upheld because the punishment for speeding is a fine and it's irrelevant of whether you're guilty or not.
    I was in court once, none payment of car tax ;-}, and we were all (about 70 of us) in the room waiting on the judge. He arrived in 25 mins late, pissed off looking, sits down. Mutters something to his clerk. And then turned to all of us and asked "Is anybody here innoncent?". We all thought he was joking. Whe nobody spoke up he called the cases, did not hear any evidence, and just handed out fines, once he had heard the charges. The most surreal moment of my life.

But I digress.

Maybe you should have contacted the mod concerned, rather than post smart assed comments before you come in here? If DMC made a mistake, I doubt very much that posts like yours would help matters.

In fact, it was your only contribution to the thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50466844&postcount=14

Thank you for pointing out that I made only one post on the thread - even if it is to see whether or not I would get edited for suggesting a similar scenario.

Exactly how many posts would you like that so my contribution might be worthwhile or even valid? Would I be totally derided if I had just posted this without making any comment?

Why would I pm the mod - if he/she is so quick to edit a post without getting the facts right - surely it stands to reason that he/she would be equally as quick to correct their stance.

I've already said why I felt it is pointless to pm the mod.

I will be impressed if DMC does actually admit to being wrong - it will help stave off the revolution for another few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I would assume a PM to the mod(s) concerned and a couple of days for them to "check it out" would resolve the situation.

That wouldn't be "FIGHT THE POWAH!" enough though.
    Why would I pm the mod - if he/she is so quick to edit a post without getting the facts right - surely it stands to reason that he/she would be equally as quick to correct their stance.

I've already said why I felt it is pointless to pm the mod.

So basically, you were too lazy to both because it might be "pointless"...lordy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

the ICDG forums are in hosted, therefore (to the best of my knowledge) they are administered differently to the boards which are not in hosted.

To use the phrase "when in doubt, leave it out." and all that. The moderators had doubts about the legality of what was being suggested in your post so he deleted it. This is not abuse of power, this is protecting the site from legal issues.

BuffyBot wrote:
    So basically, you were too lazy to both because it might be "pointless"...lordy.

Lordy

There is a difference between laziness and believing the anonimity of mod-power means it would achieve no end.

I should point out again that I did PM in a similar situation and was tersely and completely brushed off. Hence I feel that posting here is a more worthwhile effort.

Perhaps I could get an upgrade to Mod V2.0 and I'll edit your posts. You try PM me then.

To use the phrase "when in doubt, leave it out." and all that. The moderators had doubts about the legality of what was being suggested in your post so he deleted it. This is not abuse of power, this is protecting the site from legal issues.

Quite correct too, but I'm not even talking about abuse of power. It's simply bad moderating - but just because it can be.

Why as a mod yourself, would you attempt to defend a situation where the gun was clearly well and truly jumped, with a weak argument about "when in doubt". One has to think first before doubt arises.

When will we see the day that mods will stand up and say to their brethern:
    "Bad Mod - one more crap decision and you'll get a ban for two weeks".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

As an opressive uber mod I must point out that the hosted forums are exactly that.I can't really remember how their relationship is with the main site but its pretty much their turf from what i do remember.

• Advertisement

Hobart wrote:
    Dunno about DMC, buut Con is a decent and fair Mod.
    Why thank you Hobart :D
    DMC aint bad either now.

I closed that thread this morning.
    Yes as people have pointed out icdg are hosted boards.
    ICDG are the baby of Ronan who posts as ICDG there and is the main mod on those boards.
    He does not want discussions of any hack on those boards even one like that of the tivo which I'll freely admit here outside icdg is as harmless as a hack to convert the region setting in your DVD player or even less harmless as Tivo actively encourage the hack.
    Myself,Mossy and DMC simply police the no hacking rule - end of story.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I should point out again that I did PM in a similar situation and was tersely and completely brushed off. Hence I feel that posting here is a more worthwhile effort..

worthwhile how?
    if you have a problem with a mod, you take it up with him first, if at that stage you get no answer, then come here.
    Earthman is as fair a mod as you are likely to get on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Tell me, o ye oldskool boardsters, does there come a point in the Boards experience when these threads cease to be hilarious completely, and instead transcend into a mere annoyance?

Shabadu wrote:
    Tell me, o ye oldskool boardsters, does there come a point in the Boards experience when these threads cease to be hilarious completely, and instead transcend into a mere annoyance?

yes, I'm there at times
    however, sometimes the responses can still amuse

you have to remember Shabie
    we're dealing with life or death here, it must be taken seriously!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

woohoo!

bandwagon!

*pushes wwm off bandwagon*

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Beruthiel wrote:
    Earthman is as fair a mod as you are likely to get on these boards.
    <joke type="in">...for a West Brit...</joke> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Beruthiel wrote:
    *pushes wwm off bandwagon*

gerrroff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

oscarBravo wrote:
    <joke type="in">...for a West Brit...</joke> ;)

Do you earn points towards a nerd badge for every ridiculous, uber-nerd post you make?

• Advertisement

Draupnir wrote:
    Do you earn points towards a nerd badge for every ridiculous, uber-nerd post you make?
    It's a hat actually, Whooot!!!PWNED!!!LOLOLOLOLOMOFU!!

Advertisement