Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How do any 1.4i civic owners here like their cars?

Options
  • 01-12-2005 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get a civic 1.4i 3dr.
    Any owners on boards,, what sort of economy does one get from it. Are they nice to drive, niffty/reliable/economical are the reasons im thinking of getting one.

I assume like mose hondas, they`re reliable but just interested in waht some actual owners have to say about them. Thats all folks. :)

Ps:im looking at the `98/99 models.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Ive one and have no problems or complaints.
    20e gets me 150miles with the majority of that being city driving,there nippy enough and i think its a nice car to drive.

One thing to note is that it comes in a 1.3 as a jap import but this version is dearer to insure than the *irish* 1.4i

If possible go for a 99 as this was the facelift model(different and nicer headlights and front bumper)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

nice solid car,economical and servicing costs are reasonable.

don't buy ex boyracer car, also insurance is bit higher then e.g. 1.4 astra

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

eireal wrote:
    If possible go for a 99 as this was the facelift model(different and nicer headlights and front bumper)

Dunno if I would necessarily agree with this. Yes the 99 spec is nicer, but there wouldn't be as many front body parts available for this as opposed to the 96-99 style and therefore more expensive.

.... wouldn't be as many front body parts available for this as opposed to the 96-99 style and therefore more expensive.

do you always buy cars with intention of driving them into the wall ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Ratchet wrote:
    best outlook, considering the gobsh!tes and their actions you've to contend with on the roads, in weather like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

Ratchet wrote:

If it was a Civic, then yes. Yes I would ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im looking to get a civic 1.4i 3dr.
    Any owners on boards,, what sort of economy does one get from it. Are they nice to drive, niffty/reliable/economical are the reasons im thinking of getting one.

I assume like mose hondas, they`re reliable but just interested in waht some actual owners have to say about them. Thats all folks. :)

Ps:im looking at the `98/99 models.

Brother in Law is thinking of selling his. 1998. 1.4i New facelift model. Maroon in colour. He seems to be happy enough with it. I can check and see is it still on the market. Hes based in Galway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

tred wrote:
    Brother in Law is thinking of selling his. 1998. 1.4i New facelift model. Maroon in colour. He seems to be happy enough with it. I can check and see is it still on the market. Hes based in Galway.....

just realised i shouldnt really have posted that here.......but i was sort of thinking aloud and not selling it if u know what i mean...apologies Moderators..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Not True, the 92-95 Parts are the most expensive the 96-00 Models are still in mass production so don't worry about it. Having said that Honda parts are generally expensive anyway.

layke wrote:
    Not True, the 92-95 Parts are the most expensive the 96-00 Models are still in mass production so don't worry about it. Having said that Honda parts are generally expensive anyway.

i had never any problem getting parts for Honda(models build in uk) always got them for right price in NI.

if you think there are problems with Honda parts , try Mazda and this is nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Is the 1.3 jap import the same as the irish 1.4i? Whats the exact cc of the 1.3 if not? I think the 1.4i is 1393cc and is it 90bhp?

Why is the jap import more dear to insure?

Nope its different,its either 1296 or 1310cc compared to the 1.4i which is 1396.

The import one comes with Ac and electrics in the hatch version BUT doesnt have the chip key immobiliser that the irish ones have.

Its beyond me why the import is dearer to insure when its got less power and uses the exact same parts as its irish version

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

eireal wrote:
    Nope its different,its either 1296 or 1310cc compared to the 1.4i which is 1396.

The import one comes with Ac and electrics in the hatch version BUT doesnt have the chip key immobiliser that the irish ones have.

Its beyond me why the import is dearer to insure when its got less power and uses the exact same parts as its irish version

I think the answer is in your post, it's the immobiliser. How long do you think it takes for word to spread around that jap import civics are easy to nick? They must be on every joyriders christmas list.

Now that i think of it ive never seen a jap import with immobiliser as standard on them,alarms are as rare on them too,anyone got any ideas why they dont come with one?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I have one. Absolutely love it. If I keep it to 65 I can get 45-50 mpg on long journeys, about 30-35 around town. Nice revvy engine. Really comes on song at about 4000rpm. Nothing like v-tec but I nice kick all the same. If you take the time to warm it up very gently before each trip, you'll notice it considerably smoother and you'll get slightly better economy(But maybe thats just the oil the last owner put in for his poxy 12000 mile services... Trying to kill the car!!!!!). Avoid boy racer ones for shagged clutchs and gearboxes, but equally avoid granny mobiles as honda engines tend to loose power if not driven on EVER.... The older 1.3s(~1345cc, 75bhp) are more expensive to insure than the 1.4i(1396cc, 90bhp) due to the fact that they fold in a crash. The 1.4 is about 200kgs heavier but is still quicker than the 1.3.

The imobiliser makes a HUGE difference, friends of mine can get into their civics with blank keys. It's been said you can steal a civic with a spoon, but I suppose no car is really safe these days. A buddy of mine had his 93 one stolen from 4inchs outside his front door at 7.30 in the evening in a posh cul de sac in Douglas while the whole family were watching Coronation Street in the front room with the curtains closed...

All in all more or less bulletproof, really really lovely to drive and a modern car that will still save you a little money by being simple enough to service yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I don't know why this is, but it's possible that it has something to do with the lower crime rate in Japan. I've heard you could leave a camera lying around the centre of the city in Tokyo, and nobody would bother stealing it. Perhaps the same applies to cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Speaking of 1.4i models, if anyone is after a very clean example:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054860004

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Dagon wrote:
    I don't know why this is, but it's possible that it has something to do with the lower crime rate in Japan. I've heard you could leave a camera lying around the centre of the city in Tokyo, and nobody would bother stealing it. Perhaps the same applies to cars?

More than likely it... Twould be considered "dishonourable" to steal from another....

Advertisement