Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Projector Installation?

Options
  • 01-12-2005 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭

Would anybody know somebody who would install a Digital projector,including amp,surround sound and screen.Took the plunge about a month ago and bought an infocas digital projector but finding it very hard to find somebody to install it for me.Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

When you say install, what level of detail are you talking about? Do you want a full pro install, cabling into walls, drop down screen etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Yes, that's what I mean.A proper full installation with cables hidden.
    I have the screen which is a pull down one and not a remote control screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

tbh, your talking about a lot of labour involved there, so it wont be cheap, youll be in the 1000's

This guy:http://www.cinemaworks.ie

On this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=306410

offers this type of service and there are others, and I'm sure their work is good but possibly expensive. Sparky_S is right, if it's pricey it's due to labour. Also the disruption can be immense, athough this is determined by where you want to put things but you can expect dust and plasterboard in equal measure.

I have done a couple of 'pro' plasma/lcd intalls which have thrown up different problems of their own but if you have everything prepared and the right tools, know where cables are going/how they route, it isn't rocket science...the problems start with the finishing, getting everything perfect (helps if you are good at decorating or even better plastering or filling).

If you're happy with the projector screen case on, as opposed to in, the ceiling, this may not be that bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Most people have an unrealistic expectation of how neat a job can be done without destroying the room.

If you want a professional job (with hidden cables etc) then the room *will* need redecorating afterwards. If you want it added into an already pristine sitting room then this will involve visible cables etc.

It is unlikey (though someone like cinemaworks may prove me wrong) that the home cinema installer is going to redecorate for you afterward.

So :
    - empty room (including carpets)
    - get in a professional HC installer to mount pj and run wires etc.
    - get in a decorator (if you don't DIY) to redcorate room.

• Advertisement

You can do this yourself, but you'd need to completely empty the room and you'd need some help. If you are not experienced or reasonably advanced at DIY it's probably a no go just because of the finishing.

I worked on site for a while for a firm that renovated old Victorian houses into luxury apartments (did Teddy Sheringhams Penthouse in Cheshire when he played for United[!]), and these were fully wired for home cinema even then. For each apartment installers came into the shell before floors went down and any finishing was done.

It can be DIY'd neatly and professionally but unless you are competent at the above it might not be worth the risk as you may have to get someone in to rectify the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Check out this place to get an idea of how people get their systems installed, some are projector systems, other are plasma/lcd installs.
    You will need to register to view the images, but its worth it.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

Advertisement