Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X09 - "What Kate Did" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 01-12-2005 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "WHAT KATE DID" -

Episode Title: "What Kate Did"
    Airdate: November 30th 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

As Kate's backstory continues, her original crime is revealed. She thinks something is haunting her through Sawyer. Locke and Eko make an interesting discovery about the film, and Michael has a mysterious encounter with the computer.

Next New Episode: 2X10 - "The 23rd Psalm" - January 11th 2006

What did you think of "What Kate Did"? 104 votes

0%
    9%
    Kur4mAChevano RileyfeylyaSmurfpissSteoobStephen PninebeanrowsThe Free ManGone Westfearcruach 10 votes
    41%
    gandalfAnimaElNinoMr E[Deleted User]digimanBeruthielPauljLizardKing[Deleted User]commitedweemcdCatsmokinpotchumpSleepymatrimsprinklesmonkeyfudgeWaltonsIceman_5000 43 votes
    30%
    satchmomewsoRonan|RavenBKtjeWashoutrabbitinlightsmada999Cactus ColfjonSauronixoydead airBasqbestyjm2kmad mCathySnake Pliskenfightin irishthemessiah 32 votes
    13%
    Ping Chow Chiradiospanjor elDampsquidPeacecosgrove80pcheadStimpyoneOFDMJimboo_JonesmickslostexpectationAnCapaillMorthewools 14 votes
    2%
    dawballzo FiacDavei141 3 votes
    0%
    coward 1 vote
    0%
    0%
    D-Generate 1 vote
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Enjoy the episode all....!

... am away in Dublin til Saturday or Sunday so will pop back then when i've seen the episode and give you my opinion.

Last 'Lost' til 2006 - should we be expecting a cliffhanger?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I'll unlock this in the morning to stop people from voting before seeing the episode

Sorry folks, computers went a bit funny in college so couldn't unlock this till now...

Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

good solid episode.
    love the interactions between Ecko and Locke.
    Interesting the see why Kate has a love/hate replationship with sawyer.
    Jack can drift into the sunset and be a background character as far as i am concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Thought it was another very good episode, was expecting a cliffhanger at the end due to that being the last episode now for about 6 weeks, :mad: :mad: and we got one, I just wonder is it Walt?
    I liked Kate's backstory, I was wondering at the time why they held the shot on the house for such a long time, I soon found out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm interested in the Blast doors, dissappointed the extra bit of film did not us much more info only don't touch the PC equipment or else there could be another incident. The timer seems to be stuck as well...mmmmmm

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The timer seems to be stuck as well...mmmmmm

Snake ;)
    I thought only the minutes count down on the timer till it hits 4min, then it counts down the second and minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

anyone see sayid in the army office

sayidArmyOffice.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

yeah, hee

there was also a boom mike(type thing) gaffe in the in scene where sawyer and kate talk about the horse.

cool to see the marshall again!

had a killer ending, but was fairly average episode overrall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

i though this episode was very good, ill give it a 9. it was the most solid backstory in quite some time. it had some shock (didnt really see that explosion coming), mystery (that horse), suspense (with the marshall), emotion (kate and her mum/dad) and that sayid cameo for fun. kate really must seem like golddust to the marshall, he almost had her there, but was in the car accident, and then got her again in australia but was in the plane crash....and then died :rolleyes: oh well poor guy.
    im not a big locke fanboy like some, but the locke/eko scenes this week were really fantastic. lockes face is priceless as eko's story is revealed and his secret uncovered. the funeral scene was also kind of touching.
    the newest mysteries eem to be the "visions" people are having, but they are more than visions it seems, more like a manifestation from the mind made real. it would explain anyone but shannon's inability to see walt for a long time, but when she went through the really emotional conversation with sayid it became more than just a vision. and the same kind of thing happens with kate and the horse this week. i accept it sounds a bit out there but its just a thought.
    the cliffhanger this week was really good too. it bears the obvious question is it walt? but also what will the reprecussions be on michael using the computer for external communication after the warning in the video. also its surprising since locke had just demonstrated that the terminal actually wouldnt do anything but the number input.
    the jack/kate/sawyer thing also developed nicely i think, this week showed just how confused kate is. i kind of liked the jack/ana lucia scene as well.
    the final point of interest is the blast doors. it certainly seems to scream the idea that if the timer hits zero.....boom.
    one annoying thing is that the promo for tis week made it seem as if the timer would actually hit zero. boo-urns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

to the left of the horses eyeline, is what i mentioned above(it appears to be a gloved hand, and connected arm)

screen capture - http://x12.putfile.com/12/33412203916.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Very good episode I have to say.. kept me entertained all throughout

Liked Kate's backstory, a good few shock elements

Liked the whole Eko story

and hurley's random comment about Bernard :P lol

Loved the cliffhanger too.. looks like season 2's back on track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I think they use scents to attract the horses attention and direct its head. Was pretty funny when i saw that.
    I give it a 10. My first 10, wouldn't normally but this has really been the first real lost episode of the series. It's just got every element that made the last series what it was.
    The twists (kate killing her dad)
    The humour (so uh...rose's husband is white huh? didn't see that coming!)
    the emotion (kate obviously has a ****ed up life)
    the kiss! they kissed!!
    The further layering of the mystery... what's with the blast doors? why shouldn't they communicate? Is that kate's horse?
    And the kickass characters...whoever thought of putting locke and eko together was a genius. Is it really 6 weeks? gah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

didn't sawyer read the messages in the bottle?.. maybe kate wrote about killing her dad and that's what sawyer was talking about when he was half asleep on the bed.

didn't think it was a great episode.. was expecting so much from the story that ecko told us.. why couldn't he just have said he found a bit of tape.. no great shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Great episode imo.

It got back to the core of why this is such a good show. Intruiging back story, great character progression and the scenes with Locke and Eko and finding the new cut of tape where excellent. Kate kissing Jack and then returning to Sawyer......might prove interesting in the future episodes to see what happens between those 3..then of course Jack immediately goes off to make moves on A.L.....clever man.

Walt's message at the end....or is it Walt? What are the concequences of using the computer for other means. 6 weeks is too long a wait.......I want more now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

best episode in a while, and i really think the best episode to mix mythology and the general island drama. for once i didnt hate kate, too, though i wish she wouldnt lead on poor jack like that when we all know shes only gonna go ahead and dump him for sawyer. :(

other notes: hell yeah, jin is buff. sayids little cameo was cute. lockes line after watching the video: "i think its fairly self explanatory" made me laugh out loud. :/.

i spotted the horse handlers hand too (handlers hand! oh, the irony).

I liked this episode... very very good...

Backstory was well up there with season 1 standards...

I'm never watching promos again... why the HELL did they show the countdown reaching 0...

Chevano Riley, please edit your signature. Not only is it far far too big it gives away an important part of the plot...

Anyway I gave it a 9 for the backstory, Locke and Eko's scenes (deadly scenes) and the cliffhanger...

I hate this 6 week wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

ok heres my theory!!!!

re : other post...the island seems most probably a noahs ark thingy of the human kind only... the horse could be the one that led kate to the island... cuz no horse causing the car accident would mean no kate on the island ..the accident looks to be near the timeframe of the accident too as in why would sayid be on the tv in the military recruitment centre other than being in the news for escaping the clutches of the iraq army..and the horse`s presence on the island being her dad in weird way...taking care of her like...

computer seemed like an idol or something...until walts chatting on said computer... strange when the chatting started soon after the use for other means was stated to be forbidden on the new bit of tape!!

just my 2 cents worth...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

steveland? wrote:
    Chevano Riley, please edit your signature. Not only is it far far too big it gives away an important part of the plot...
    Yes! I know... very annoying... I saw the sig elsewhere on boards today before I'd seen the episode. Booooo!

This was a great episode though.

Kate now is shown to have a connection to Korea too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Liked this episode, built up some of the mystery again.
    Bit disappointed with the extra film.
    Didn't tell us anything that important.
    Overall 8/9
    Oh and Chevanos sig is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Excellent episode - probably the best of the second season.

It was by far the best Kate back story. At last now we know a lot more about what makes her tick and what she got jailed for.

The last scene with the computer was a classic teaser for the next episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll give this one a 9.

Two points deducted for that prick-tease of a promo last week that was complete misdirection (the countdown).

One point added for the great ending.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good episode. Does Ecko have huge pockets or something? Where was he hiding that book up to now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Fav ep of the season so far... excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

TmB wrote:
    I'll give this one a 9.

Two points deducted for that prick-tease of a promo last week that was complete misdirection (the countdown).
    Yeah.... really... just stop watching the pormos... it's much better that way.

The Sayid on the television thing seems a bit odd as this all seems to taken place before Kates other 3 flashbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

rkm wrote:
    Oh and Chevanos sig is retarded.
    :'(
    in retrospect twas a little insensitive, but retarded is a bit strong. :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I thought it was about right, i hate seeing spoilers,
    some ass on torrentspy gave away that there was a horse in this episode.
    I'd rather not know anything about an ep before i see it.
    If you post it here fine, but if its in your sig it can turn up anywhere on boards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

I have to agree that I thought it was about right too, I'm not sure what you were trying to achieve by putting that in your Sig. Silly thing to do really...

Anyway, really enjoyed the episode. Defo the best of the season so far, can't wait for the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Fantastic episode! 9/10

Was it Michael's fault (when he was fiddling witht he wires) that the comuputer went into "communication mode" and the timer stuck at 51?

qz wrote:
    Fantastic episode! 9/10

Was it Michael's fault (when he was fiddling witht he wires) that the comuputer went into "communication mode" and the timer stuck at 51?
    Don't think the timer is stuck at 51... as mentioned before I think the seconds only tick when it hits 4 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

sprinkles wrote:
    Don't think the timer is stuck at 51... as mentioned before I think the seconds only tick when it hits 4 mins

Ah yes, 51 minutes, not seconds. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Best episode in ages. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Nice cliffhanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Great episode,great cliffhanger. Best Kate flashbacks so far...6 weeks...gah!!

what was the big hoopla about Chevano's sig? Did it refer to this episode or something? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Very good episode-that is all.
    Bet there were plenty of out takes with the horse scene for them to have to use one that showed the handlers hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

tvnutz wrote:
    what was the big hoopla about Chevano's sig? Did it refer to this episode or something? :rolleyes:
    Yeah, he gave away the final scene. Very clever indeed...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

still the question over whether there really is any electromagnetic generator, or its just a mind**** i thought when michael was looking at the back of the machine he find the wires don't lead anywhere, still could, good episode as said nice balance between anything, WOW at the pic above of sayid!

was there actually anything like what is in this hatch in the taileys hatch?

what films has Jin been in any action ones? and that was sabriana's aunt there :)

watch the promo to find out what doens't happen!

and that was sabriana's aunt there :)
    Yeh Beth Broderick.

She was in one of the episodes of the first series (as Kate's mam too) although heavily make-uped so it was hard to recognise without having noticed her name in the credits.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well wow! A Kate-centric episode I liked! Whereas Anna-Lucia's episode made me loathe her ever more, now I feel propery sympathy for Kate. Her backstory was enjoyable, although naturally her crime had to be one we could feel pity for her.

I'm glad Michael asked questions. Locke saying the video was pretty self-explanatory is typical of Lost's trick of never having the characters question things properly (because John we don't actually know what'll happen if the countdown finishes). I'd also have wanted to investigate the wirings - kudos to him for trying and it did lead to a fairly decent cliffhanger - Walt's now a ghost in the machine!

Locke and Ekko still work well together and a nice little beration by Ekko to Locke on how some things are just coincidence. The Uncut Edition of the video was disappointing though, nothing really interesting revealed except only to make us more apprehensive when Michael sees the communication - it was a bit last minute and somewhat poorly plotted.

Overall though, satisfied with this one. If this quality could be kept up, I'd be inclined to actually enjoy the show again instead of having it annoy me each week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Damn fine episode of Lost, with some more Katetime :D

I can see the competition between Locke and Ecko heating up as the Alpha Man of Faith...

But 6 WEEKS !!! Htf am I going to survive !!!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I enjoyed that, nice ending!
    I saw that house exploding a mile off though, they allways pan out to a clear shot of a house before a nice explosion. Just like in the old star trek when some poor ensign was sent on an away mission with kirk, spock and bones. You just knew he was in for it! :D

Didn't spot sayid til someone here posted it. Sad but my main wonderings whre why didn't they use the blender to mash up sawyer's food, and where was eckos stashing that book! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

viking wrote:
    Yeah, he gave away the final scene. Very clever indeed...:rolleyes:

Geeeez! :rolleyes:

Argghhhh... am averting my eyes as i post this!

Back from a hectic couple of days in Dublin - just sitting down to have a bumper viewing of 'Lost' and 'Veronica Mars'.

Judging from the very positive ratings.. looks like it was a good one!

Will report back with my opinion and reactions tomorrow.

Oh.. and by the way, read 'The Lost Chronicles' from start to finish on the train journey. Excellent little book actually... no real need for the rundown of every episode in the first series in the middle of the book. But the Q&A with Damon and JJ is especially excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Good epsiode alright, liked the whole locke and echko thing and ended on a nice cliffhanger.

Hopefully since the two groups are together there will be a faster flow to the rest of the series..

OK... gets a 8 / 10 from me!

While the episode certainly continued the streak of quite excellent episodes, there was just one or two bits of the episode i just didn't enjoy.

For one, i saw the explosion coming a mile off... and the horse in the jungle moment just seemed a bit ludicrous. I know it's not a strange occurence considering there is polar bears there too. But it just seemed like one of those moments that we'll have no explanation as to why the horse what there - it was just used to tie-in to Kate's backstory.

Anyways, not to dwell on the minor bad-points.. loved the cliffhanger which we'll hopefully learn more of in the very near future.. and not tip-toe around that storyline for more of the Tail Section survivors action. Locke's and Eko's scenes were as usual excellent. Good to see Sawyer finally waking up (missed his sarcasm). I've a feeling Jack and Kate's kiss will be a moot point from now on... i've a sinking feeling it won't even be addressed and will be brushed off as a moment of madness from Kate.

Oh.. and how could i forget Hurley's "Rose's husband is white" line! :D

Eko's backstory next...!

I look forward to Eko's story.....that should be very interesting. He's a great character (and actor imo).

On the horse in the jungle thing, it was another random incidence of encouters from their past popping up in the jungle. I reckon these could be part of the big explaination of whats going on....but only time and probably 5 or 6 drawn out seasons will tell.

Ps: Good to see you haven't forgotten about us here Basquille.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Best episode of the new series by
    this much :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

excellent , 09/10 , didnt see sayid , top marks for people who spotted that . I need to know whats in the book???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Reasonable ep; still consider 2x07 as best of the first nine. Felt the flashback, while good, was still nowhere near as strong as those of last year. That may be because the characters were 'newer' to us then. I can't help feeling the crime in "What Kate Did" didn't match up to my expectation, though I knew it would involve her family/father somehow after Kate's mother's reaction in 1x22.

Also, Kate's mother: Seems she married Kate's Not-Dad, played around with Wayne when Not-Dad was in Korea (Sun/Jin-as-a-child connection down the line somewhere?) and then got back with Wayne after she and Not-Dad ultimately separated. All very indecisive and not made clear.

Wayne was played by Mysterious Future Guy from Enterprise - good to see him not shrouded for once!

Liked the horse turning up, the Sawyer/Jack scenes - though Kate must now be losing her tough exterior. It's not like her to show much emotion when it isn't in her interest.

The Hatch: love the missing film idea, but it's a pity it contained so little new information. In fact, you could pretty much figure the whole 'don't use the computer for anything else' from the contents of the film first-time round in 2x03. Seems they could have done so much more with this. I love the idea of even multiple parts of the missing film being located in the other five hatches - even over the course of a season - but to do this kind of plot and have it not be rewarding is a missed opportunity, I reckon.

I did like Michael's MSN attempt at the end, and I agree with those here who suggest the blast doors will activate whenever there is an "incident." I had predicted ages ago that they'd keep the timer reaching zero until the season finale, so I didn't expect anything like this to crop up so soon. They may still do the timer reaching zero at season's end (hope not), but this is quicker Dharma plot movement than I expected.

Shannon's funeral was a brief affair and felt a bit glossed over to me. But then I also don't think she should have died such a pointless death with no actual plot impact resulting from it, aside from a throwaway line from Charlie about Ana Lucia not attending.

I'm also wondering if there are now maybe too many characters to service well week-to-week. I'm glad Claire got a storyline with domestic baby life a few weeks ago because neither she, nor Sun, nor Charlie have had much of a look-in this year. Considering they have to pay everyone in the main cast each episode whether they have any scenes or not, it's going to be hard to do justice to everyone over time. At one stage earlier in the season, Kate hadn't been in one, and Jack in another!

As cliffhangers go, I didn't think this was up there with the equivalent point last year - Claire and Charlie meeting Ethan in the jungle - but it was enough to keep us wondering. Is Walt in another hatch? Or is this a trick by one of the Others, or the Dharma scientists to throw the project off? And if so, would the reply be tailored to whoever happened to be sitting there? Convenient timing if it's not Walt (so I suspect it probably is.)

Oh, and lads, can we please avoid mentioning whose backstory is next within the previous episode threads just for those who are avoiding that info? OK, so it was obvious with "What Kate Did", and I'm already thinking Eko used to be a priest/religious (what with his '40 days' penance, his praying on Day 1 and other hints) so I knew he'd have one before long - "The 23rd Pslam" had me thinking on those lines... but when it comes to unspecific titles like "Collision", can we avoid forward-mentions in the threads? Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement