Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X09 - "What Kate Did" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

sprinkles wrote:
    On the horse in the jungle thing, it was another random incidence of encouters from their past popping up in the jungle. I reckon these could be part of the big explaination of whats going on....but only time and probably 5 or 6 drawn out seasons will tell.

According to this fan-theory (http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3377), there is a reason why those unusual occurances are taking place. It would also explain things like Sawyer hearing "It'll come back around" whispered in the jungle, and similar unusual whispers audible to Shannon and Sayid before her untimely...

I don't buy most of his ideas, but there's something to the Dharma/Alvar Hanso parts and maybe the oddness of the numbers cropping up all over the place.

If that theory is correct, by the way, you may risk spoiling everything! But I don't buy a lot of the odder parts of it simply cos you'd never get the explanation across on TV to a mainstream audience.

Worth throwing in, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

doh.ie wrote:
    Oh, and lads, can we please avoid mentioning whose backstory is next within the previous episode threads just for those who are avoiding that info? OK, so it was obvious with "What Kate Did", and I'm already thinking Eko used to be a priest/religious (what with his '40 days' penance, his praying on Day 1 and other hints) so I knew he'd have one before long - "The 23rd Pslam" had me thinking on those lines... but when it comes to unspecific titles like "Collision", can we avoid forward-mentions in the threads? Thanks!
    /\ What he said /\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

doh.ie wrote:
    According to this fan-theory (http://www.4815162342.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3377), there is a reason why those unusual occurances are taking place. It would also explain things like Sawyer hearing "It'll come back around" whispered in the jungle, and similar unusual whispers audible to Shannon and Sayid before her untimely...
    Good read.
    doh.ie wrote:
    I don't buy most of his ideas, but there's something to the Dharma/Alvar Hanso parts and maybe the oddness of the numbers cropping up all over the place.

If that theory is correct, by the way, you may risk spoiling everything! But I don't buy a lot of the odder parts of it simply cos you'd never get the explanation across on TV to a mainstream audience.

Worth throwing in, though.
    I haven't read all the thread, just the guys first post.
    I dont think any of his idea is that off the wall.
    I think a mainstream tv audience would buy into that scenario were it true.
    Interesting anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's a very good theory. I'm usually very dismissive of these things, but that's the best one I've heard yet.

But... (probably should start another thread for discussion of this theory really)
    There is a lot of studies that show that such a shift doesn't happen all of a sudden, but takes a hundred years or so to happen, and during this hundred or so years the magnetic field is greatly weakened, but not to the extent to make the planet uninhabitable.... It's happens on average every 500,000 years after all. We're 120,000 years overdue by the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭20LEgend

Very good theory.

It also explains why the dharma logo would be on the side of the fuselage
    i.e. if the plant was in fact a "plant"

rkm wrote:
    I haven't read all the thread, just the guys first post.
    I dont think any of his idea is that off the wall.
    I think a mainstream tv audience would buy into that scenario were it true.
    Interesting anyway.

I don't think it's completely off either, but I do think one element of it in particular - (just in case it's right)
    the theory on there being a collective consciousness behind much of the goings-on, as if the flashbacks were triggered by it, it explaining Locke's healed legs or premonitions. To me, and I suspect to a mainstream audience, that part in particular would be a push too far.

I do think a mainstream audience would buy into the scientific side of the theory when it comes to pole shifts or electromagnetics, though - the show is definitely pointing to that kind of answer anyway.

In any case, this isn't the thread as someone said, but I wanted to mention it in relation to Kate and the horse (and as came up recently, why Rose seemed to think the monster 'sounded familiar' in the pilot.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

doh.ie wrote:
    I don't think it's completely off either, but I do think one element of it in particular - (just in case it's right)
    the theory on there being a collective consciousness behind much of the goings-on, as if the flashbacks were triggered by it, it explaining Locke's healed legs or premonitions. To me, and I suspect to a mainstream audience, that part in particular would be a push too far.

that theory answers alot of questions in a very plausible way, (and very helpful to have the pics there).

but is that in the realms of science?

that theory answers alot of questions in a very plausible way, (and very helpful to have the pics there).

but is that in the realms of science?

I don't think the concept of
    a collective consciousness
    is, even if it does appear to answer some questions that so far haven't been explainable. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of the more unusual goings-on (the overdose of the numbers everywhere, whispers, animals turning up, the monster sounding familiar) were mostly just red herrings. If the solution is more science fiction than fact, I think a lot of viewers will be furious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Whoop Whoop

gandalf wrote:

But 6 WEEKS !!! Htf am I going to survive !!!

According to the ABC "...And Found will be aired on 14th December"

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/index.html

• Advertisement

Well spotted. All the episode guides I'd seen indicated a gap until January 11th. This would tally up with the pre-Christmas break last year, though, where 10 episodes had aired before the start of the more severe gaps.

I suspect ABC is also keen not to lose preciously high audiences in the slot, and as soon as repeats set in there's always a severe drop in numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye but thats a repeat...he means new episodes! :D

tvnutz wrote:
    Ye but thats a repeat...he means new episodes! :D

Crud, so it is. In my keen-ness to avoid the plotline, I didn't spot the episode title ("..And Found") had already been used! Jan 11th it is, once again, then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Just seen this episode and liked it a lot.Nothing more to add I suppose but something is niggling me.The crossword Locke was doing,the name that popped up for a second,could it be to do with anything? maybe an anagram of something.Sure you know lost full of little things like that...

mad m wrote:
    The crossword Locke was doing,the name that popped up for a second,could it be to do with anything? maybe an anagram of something.Sure you know lost full of little things like that...

The name that popped up was Gilgamesh (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilgamesh and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh), a king in Sumerian mythology. The story is considered the oldest recorded in the world, and you'll recognise elements of it in other fables and mythologies.

In Lost terms, I don't think it's an anagram of anything, but I do think its inculsion is symbolic of the struggle between Jack (Enkidu?) and Locke (Gilgamesh?); or maybe it's suggesting that Locke and Eko (Enkidu?) would team up to battle a future foe/Dharma...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭radiospan

Just seen this episode. I've finally caught up with the US episodes. (Started watching Season 1 a few months ago).

Big week of TV next week, with Lost, 24 and Family Guy all returning. I hope they get rid of the caps soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement