Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damn waterproof trousers

Options
  • 01-12-2005 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

waterproof left leg....check
    waterproof right leg....check
    waterproof hips...check
    waterproof a.rse....check
    waterproof crotch....nah we will leave that out

Damn them to hell!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

What type of trousers are they ??. I have "Lookwell" half leather , half mesh and they are completly waterproof .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

man i hear ya,

got a waterproof suit from aldi in the summer and in the first heavy downpour I was completely soaked in that area. Damn cheap sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

I was in the toilets for half hour this morning drying my jeans under the hand dryer because of my crappy waterproofs!! Try and explain that to someone if they walked in:o
    Was in Bike World yesterday but good waterproofs are so expensive. Only after buying a E200 jacket so can't buy trousers till after XMas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

they are a decent pair (well maybe below decent)

they are a pair of swift trousers, got em at the bike show a year ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

My dirt cheap (approx £20) set of Rayven waterproofs let me down for the first time ever today. Oh, that chilly-rainwater-running-down-your-leg feeling is something I could quite happily live without. Anybody know what the Gardai use? They look like rubber.....so they probably are. Anyhoo, anyone know where you can get, ahem, rubbers? I don't recall seeing them anywhere, but I've never really looked for them either.

• Advertisement

thought the gardai use leathers & i think they get a new set every year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Today was my first trip in the rain with my new trousers and I didn't look like I wet myself!! :D:D They're Frank Thomas ones I got off ebay for a bargain €57 inc p&p :D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Not something you ever get used to. I bought a pair of SIDI trousers a few years back for £20 in the old bikeworld. Feckin great. did the job though everyhing,
    A temp solution is a plastice back around the crotchular area. Might keep them embarassing patches away

orrrr i could try and set a new trend in work by going around with wet patches & see if people think im cool & follow me

ill show them some ghetto gospel!

Gardai today were definitely wearing leggings of some description. Probably not standard issue. They actually get supplied with bugger all and end up having to buy decent stuff themselves, so I'm told (by a Garda).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Try Army Bargains up top of Capel street, we bought olive green leggings in there last year for 20 euro a pair. The chinese lad working there told us in his best dublin accent "dere what de guards wear" :D

They have never leaked and are great for hacking around in and working on the bike lying on an oily garage floor etc. One of the lads missuses swears by them too, lolls round the house in them even instead of a donning a shellsuit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

hmm, thought i already replied to this...
    I bought a nice pair in Aldi today.
    Part of the "ski" wear. they're nice and warm.
    Claim to be water and wind proof.
    Will test them tomorrow..

hopefully not.

I'll give them a go at the weekend, so. After yesterday's thorough soaking, I decided to throw everything in the wash (to be sprayed with NikWax over the weekend) and go on the rip tonight. So, no bike today. Can't say I'm sorry, looking out the window right now, even if it did take me two hours to get to work. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

I'll say one thing, Dainese dryline.
    Never ever let me down.

wow, my everything got saoked yesterday, EVERYTHING!!
    it was horrible yesterday but in the end i was so wet & i started to enjoy driving again

As mentioned earlier, I sprayed all my gear liberally with NikWax at the weekend, and it got a thorough testing yesterday.

Dry as a bone. :D

nikwax eh? where you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Whatever waterproof trousers you buy, make sure there is some fasteners on the bottom of the leg. You don't want your trouser leg catching on the footpegs when you come to a stop. The old goretex leggings I had were a bit wide and there were prone to catching. Solution: buy a cheap pair of bike leggings and I'm sorted.

Re Nikwax, I bought some in Mountjoy Motorcycles. I'll put the jacket in the washing machine over the Crimbo break and re-apply it. Not too impressed so far. Damp elbows a couple of times over the past 3 months.

You can get NikWax in camping shops. It's also used for re-waterproofing tents, ye see.
    Damp elbows, ominous? You're just not using enough of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Horatio

Has anyone even thought of protection ?
    No matter what you wear you have to think of the consequences of coming off your bike at speed so you need protection. Aldi ? Army Bargains ?
    Do they know anything about keeping a biker alive ?
    You can't spend too much money when it comes to your own safety.
    A good pair of leather/nylon trousers with armour will keep
    the rain off you and protect you in a crash.
    I have a good pair of Richa's and I have to say I have never got soaked in them or cold and I drive every day in all conditions and feel at least safe in them.

• Advertisement

^^??

My jacket has forearm, shoulder, kidney and spinal armour, and the leggings go over leathers with hip, knee and shin armour. Do I pass? :P

you get a silver star, im saving the gold ones for iron-man

I guess I'd have to buy boots, gloves and a helmet to qualify. :D

pink helmet & purple boots then maybe :)

Garibaldi wrote:
    ^^??

My jacket has forearm, shoulder, kidney and spinal armour, and the leggings go over leathers with hip, knee and shin armour. Do I pass? :P

When you come off the bike doing 60 you can let me know !

skiing stuff???
    I rerst my case

Horatio wrote:
    skiing stuff???
    I rerst my case
    people can only buy the best they can afford, we dont all have alot of money to put into racing leathers & i doubt they would keep you dry in our climate

Horatio wrote:
    When you come off the bike doing 60 you can let me know !

My, what a nice person you are, Horatio. Hope you're wearing rubber gloves and not standing in a basin of water whilst plugging in the Christmas lights. I presume you wear a tough, metallic coat.....with four wheels...... :rolleyes: Well, ok. Maybe not. Still, what exactly are you trying to get at with that statement? Are you marketing a new line of stainless steel jackets and pants? If you think that the level of protection I wear on the bike is insufficient, or incapable of preventing serious injury (within reason, of course), then I think you should find something safer than biking to pass the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭japanpaul

madrab wrote:
    people can only buy the best they can afford, we dont all have alot of money to put into racing leathers & i doubt they would keep you dry in our climate

I agree.
    I have a good shoei helmet, E300 jacket with various protection and protective gloves but at the moment can't afford the E200+ for good leg protection. Am making do with caterpillar boots and normal waterproof trousers (that don't keep me dry:( ). My insurance is E2100 and is due again in May so I will have to wait to see what Santa brings me before I buy good trousers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

I bought a pair of richa trousers at the bike show last year . I find them very warm and in the summer you can remove the lining ,cant really say how waterproof they are I drive a wing and theres a lot of rain protection on the bike ( great big fairing). Eric

Advertisement