Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Aids Day 2005

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

damien.m wrote:
    Today is world aids day, anyone know is there anything being organised in your city?

http://www.worldaidsday.org/

The APA are having a charity ball tonight -http://www.apa.ie/events.php?event_id=35 that's as much as I've heard.

Anytime recently (last couple of years) that I've tried to get a ribbon for this it's nigh-on impossible. Unless you go to a gay venue on the night in question.

Does anyone know anywhere selling ribbons / red ribbon badges?

Me wants a badge... make it so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I've three badges on me at the moment. Their not red ribben for whatever reason, but meh

On you? Where on you? Somewhere ... interesting?

Back on topic... where did you get them?

One world charity where giving them out.

That means nothing to me, in terms of place, time, and who One world charity are ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

They were giving out free ribbons and condoms in UCC all day today. (with optional donation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

They've been selling them in TCD since Monday, along with pencils and sweets. Plus giving out free condoms. You gotta love the free condoms.

Still, not much use to those of us who don't laze about in college all day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Ive seen a guy dressed up as a drop of blood a few times on top of grafton giving them out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

*sigh

I know its a while ago now, but am I the only one whos amazed at how little coverage in the media (etc) the day got?

Most every person Iv spoken to since, gay or straight, didnt even know it had passed.
    Seems to me, pretty much everyone had "heard of" World AIDS Day, but very very few seemed to know when it was or heard much about it when it passed.

Pretty sad really, all things considered.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest I think the day is a pretty much aload of bull****. If anything it allowes people to pretend that the Issues of Aids is not an irish problem, but something that effects Africans and Asians in far away lands. It's just helping people ignore the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

I do see your point, and agree in all but one crucial way (imho).........
    The very fact of having a "World Aids Day" is, in my mind, also a reminder.
    Hiv and AIDS have become somthing that these days *seems* to have become somthing no one even thinks about all that much, surely *anything* that might get somone, even one person, the tiniest bit more informed, can only be a good thing?

b

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

UCC LGBT and UCC Welfare working group raised 1,500e for aids charities on world aids day

SGMHP and its volunteers raised about 600 going around gay bars in Cork on the night

Instinct bar raised 250 with a rafle on the night also

All together about 2,000 red ribbons were given out.

The campaign in college was run on a "theme" of one person a day gets infected with HIV in Ireland and Condoms are a life saver.

Seemed to be very effective

Hunter S wrote:
    UCC LGBT and UCC Welfare working group raised 1,500e for aids charities on world aids day

SGMHP and its volunteers raised about 600 going around gay bars in Cork on the night

Instinct bar raised 250 with a rafle on the night also

All together about 2,000 red ribbons were given out.

The campaign in college was run on a "theme" of one person a day gets infected with HIV in Ireland and Condoms are a life saver.

Seemed to be very effective

Thats quiet impressive.

Advertisement