Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Club Championship

• 01-12-2005 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭

Liverpool matches will be shown on BBC2

Thurs 15th 10.20 semifinal

Final will be shown also Sunday 18th 10.20 BBC2

When Liverpool become European and World Champions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

excellent, yet another trophy for us. We will have to build a new trophy room pretty soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

who have liverpool got in the first game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

They have a buy. Its either Saprissa / Sydney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Trampas wrote:
    Liverpool matches will be shown on BBC2

Thurs 15th 10.20 semifinal

Final will be shown also Sunday 18th 10.20 BBC2

When Liverpool become European and World Champions

Trampas, is that AM or PM ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Should be AM.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote:
    They have a buy. Its either Saprissa / Sydney

Where are saprissa from? Is sydney the club that dwight yorke os playing for at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Sweet, I don't start work until 1pm on the Thursday :D (may get in a little late...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Saprissa are an American team. no?

Which makes a change, as its usually a Mexican team at the World club championships.

EDIT: Saprissa are Costa Rican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is this the same thing as what Man U were in a few years ago, or is it a re-vamped European winner vs S American winners????

gimmick wrote:
    Is this the same thing as what Man U were in a few years ago, or is it a re-vamped European winner vs S American winners????
    Neither really as far as I know, a revamped version of what ManU played maybe. There's less teams involved and they seem to have teams from a wide range of the globe (Australian, Costa Rica, Middle East, Europe, SA and I presume there's one there from Africa and maybe another Asian team).

Hopefully we make a good showing out there - there's no point in travelling that far without the intention of winning.

• Advertisement

All 6 continental winners are playing. The Asian winners are from Saudi Arabia. The African winners from Eyjpt i think. SA winners, Sau Paulo from Brazil. The NA winners are from Costa Rica. The Oceanic winners, Sydney FC. And of course Liverpool.

Both Sau Paulo and Liverpool are already in the semis, so i guess the Brazilian team are the ones to watch out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

they will make a show of liverpool out there may as well stay in liverpool lads not a hope sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

chiller wrote:
    they will make a show of liverpool out there may as well stay in liverpool lads not a hope sorry
    i think i preffered the old nomination soccer access

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

format seems good. i think there is room for a world club championship. i love seen the comparison between the continents.

Brazilians are leaving for Japan a full 10 days beforehand so as to acclimatise.

Story here: http://www.fifa.com/en/comp/index/0,2442,111267,00.html?comp=CWC&year=2005&articleid=111267

Liverpool's last game is against Boro on the 10th, so that probably only leaves them 3/4 days to get to Japan and get organised.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i think i preffered the old nomination soccer access

:rolleyes:

pretty much agreed.
    Liverpool are very likely to walk through this cup with very little trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

well one game and your through to the final, its hardly a mammoth task. sao paulo game could be tough though.

mayordenis wrote:
    pretty much agreed.
    just checking, that was tongue in cheek right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

p.pete wrote:
    just checking, that was tongue in cheek right?

not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Liverpool are very likely to walk through this cup with very little trouble

just because pool are on a bit of a run right now, theres no need to start talking like some man u fans tend to. ie dillusional

if u think it wont take a top performance to beat any brazilian team then u dont watch football too often

just because we havent heard of most teams in the competition, doesnt mean they wont bring much to the table in teams organisation and how they're set up. ANY team in an elite competition such as this is a well set up team and wont be EASY to beat

• Advertisement

Saprissa are leading Sydney 1-0.

Live score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone know when the two matches Liverpool are missing cause of this has been re schedualed to? i.e. when will they catch up with matches played with Chelsea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Liverpool need to take care playing these unkown teams. while as a true red i welcome this run of games we are having we need to not get cockey in any team we face.

Keep up the good work lads and good luck in Japan :-)

this competiton could prove to be a bad thing for liverpool. It is going to eave them with a fixture pile up at some stage. Also they should really get through to the final where they should meet sao paulo who tbh, i dont much about but i expect they are a quality side so it should be tough

The Sydney/Saprissa match finished 1-0.

From the BBC:
    The club: Saprissa were bought for £2.3m in 2003 after financial problems and have since instituted a policy of employing only native-born or naturalised Costa Rican players, instilling a national pride that has seen the club thrive.

The club is coached by Costa Rican legend Hernan Medford, and they have become a dogged, determined outfit.

The players: Burly striker Ronald Gomez has become a hero to the club's fans, who have nicknamed him The Bullet, while Walter Centeno's creative play is also their key to success.

Qualification: Saprissa have become the first non-Mexican team from Central America to reach the Fifa World Club Championship, after unexpectedly beating US side Kansas City Wizards and Mexican teams Monterrey and Pumas.
    Walter Centeno (has the No. 8 jersey with his nickname Pate on the back) is the player that makes the team tick. So if Liverpool can stop him playing, they 'should' be able to beat Saprissa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

PHB wrote:
    Does anyone know when the two matches Liverpool are missing cause of this has been re schedualed to? i.e. when will they catch up with matches played with Chelsea?
    The game they played against sunderland (last wednesday week)was one of the xtra games, don't know when the other one is.

seabee wrote:
    The game they played against sunderland (last wednesday week)was one of the xtra games, don't know when the other one is.
    The two games Liverpool are missing are Sunderland and Charlton. As seabee said, the Sunderland game has been played early, but the Charlton game has not been re-arranged yet. Liverpool were already a game behind though - the Arsenal game was postponed from earlier in the season - this has been re-arranged for 14 February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

mayordenis wrote:
    pretty much agreed.

Agreed, the only "real" team they will have to play is Sao Paolo.

Hardly. Saprissa will be no mugs. United struggled against similar opposition when they played them in the World Club Championship a few years ago (I can't remember exactly, but didnt the Mexicans beat them or draw with them?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Hardly. Saprissa will be no mugs. United struggled against similar opposition when they played them in the World Club Championship a few years ago (I can't remember exactly, but didnt the Mexicans beat them or draw with them?)
    Nexeca (SP?) drew with Manu (Beckham was sent of for kicking a player) and then they were totally outplayed by Vasco de Gama, beaten 3-1, I remember Neville's 2 howlers within the space of 5 mins as being the cause.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

well one game and your through to the final, its hardly a mammoth task

You seem to forget the task to get to this tourney :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Yet another clueless comment from a football "fan":rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really though, who gives a monkeys about this? I don't and whatever the club says they don't either, the timing stinks too.

Say No To Meaningless Moneymaking Tournaments!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I know if I was a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be too happy about this, the team is in great form and has been more consistant than they have been at any stage in recent years. They now have to undergo serious travel time, miss two Premiership games to take part in what really is a nothing tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

taken from liverpool.tv
    Benitez believes acclimatisation is key to the Reds chances of success in Japan and explained how training was altered last week to help their bid for global glory.

"We have been doing a special plan for the past week to try and win back time," says the boss. "That involved changing the habits of the players, in terms of when they eat and when they sleep. We wanted to acclimatise them to the time difference before we travelled, so we had to do this.

"Our training sessions have been held about an hour earlier than usual since last week. It helped because we were playing Middlesbrough at an earlier time, which meant the different training time didn't have a lot of impact.

"We also told the players to try not to sleep too much after the Middlesbrough game and do so on the flight to Japan.

"In normal circumstances, you need a week to acclimatise to such a big time difference. We had to start in England because we have a match three days after our arrival."

Benitez, who passed time on the grueling 15-hour flight by watching videos of the opposition, also spoke of his strong desire to put on a good show in Japan and stressed the importance of the tournament to the club.

He added: "This competition is very important to us because this is the only competition Liverpool haven't yet won. We want to do so now.

"We will try to play as well as possible for the fans over there. I don't know if we have more fans in Japan than the other teams, but I know we have a lot. I also know if we win this competition, we will have even more in the future.

"I have spoken to Mauricio Pellegrino about this competition. He won the title when he was playing with Argentina and he told me in South America, this competition is extremely important.

"For them, the winner is the genuine champion of the world. They have a lot of motivation to win. Now we feel exactly the same."

i'd say benitez has the players well aclimatised and has the disruption kept down to a miniumum. i think the team will hit the ground running when they get back, we're in a good position to challenge chelsea this season.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Really though, who gives a monkeys about this? I don't and whatever the club says they don't either, the timing stinks too.

Say No To Meaningless Moneymaking Tournaments!

Mike.
    I care, it's always annoyed me that it's on our records that we've played this (or similar) twice only in the eighties and came away empty handed both times.

Timing is crap, bad idea to have it in a world cup season (ditto the african nations) and it's way too far to be travelling though. Timing isn't too bad, no game until December 26th in the league so my fingers are firmly crossed that we can hit the ground running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I think it will be a Liverpool, Sao Paulo final alright. Its just a money makeer for FIFA and the clubs. Man Utds heart wasnt in it when they played. Mind you at least Liverpool arent asking to be excused from the FA Cup ;)

They already excused themselves from the Carling

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

I remember looking at the odds on Paddy Power and Liverpool were just slight favourites over Sao Paulo to the the tournament. So Sao Paulo might be worth watching out for.

Sao Paolo 1-0 up after 16 mins (Marcio Amoroso)

<edit>

In their semi-final match being played at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

p.pete wrote:
    Sao Paolo 1-0 up after 16 mins (Marcio Amoroso)

<edit>

In their semi-final match being played at the moment...
    1-1. Match live on Setanta, almost half time.

Can't believe Amoroso is playing for them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Neither team are really impressing me...both seem fairly low standard. I reckon Liverpool would easily beat either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That keeper's not bad at the set-pieces.

Looks like Sao Paolo may have pulled the finger out (I'm not watching the match though), winning 3-1 now

ye they look a far better side than al-ttihad but they still dont seem too great

back to 3-2 with about 15 mins left. Not over yet

Out of interest, for anyone watching the game - is it a dirty match? Noticed Sao Paolo have picked up 4 yellows so far in the 2nd half...

mchurl wrote:
    back to 3-2 with about 15 mins left. Not over yet

Neither team has impressed me though.
    p.pete wrote:
    Out of interest, for anyone watching the game - is it a dirty match? Noticed Sao Paolo have picked up 4 yellows so far in the 2nd half...

Not at all actually. Its fairly clean.

The Sao Paulo keeper scored a peno? Is that right? Did he take anoy other set pieces?

3-2 into injury time

final score 3-2 to sao paulo

The Sao Paulo keeper scored a peno? Is that right? Did he take anoy other set pieces?

3-2 into injury time

Yeah, he took a few set pieces.

• Advertisement
Advertisement