Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1Mb Symmetric - What bandwidth should I be getting

• 01-12-2005 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently got a 1Mb up/down wireless broadband connection with 48:1 contention. My question is what speeds should I be getting on average?

thegills

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

thegills wrote:
    Hi,

I recently got a 1Mb up/down wireless broadband connection with 48:1 contention. My question is what speeds should I be getting on average?

Humm, anything up to 128KBytes on a sustained download or on an upload , did we mention IBB at all anywhere ?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Who did u manage to get to get 1MB up and down from if u dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ha LOL is it IBB you have??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

thegills wrote:
    Hi,

thegills

Pick a random number between 1 and 100KB/sec.
    Now multiply the answer by your service provider, location & time of day.

(might as well throw in - 'application being used')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If it is IBB, speed depends on how long it takes to cancel the contract and move to another provider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

Is this the new IBB mast with only 10 users live? You should have no contention issues... 128KBytes/sec up/down. But if they are using their standard 56k modem for the backhaul then that might affect it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

About 110k a second upload and 110k a second download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I get 127ish on my 15:1 symetrical line, but because it's a biz only company the lines go dead after 6pm leaving all the bandwith to me :)

Leap €129 p/m if your willing to fork out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thanks lads.
    I'm getting 768kbps up / 880kbps down so can't complain. 30+ users now.
    thegills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mother-fu*#$r

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

A friend of mine has IBB 1 meg up/down and it's totally perfect. He raves about it.

Advertisement