Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath resurfacing

Options
  • 01-12-2005 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering has anyone had any experience with getting a bath resurfaced? I want to give the bathroom a bit of a makeover without breaking the bank, so was going to replace the toilet and sink, but since the bath is a heavy steel one, I figured getting it resurfaced might be more cost effective than replacing it.

Anyone know how well the resurfacing works? Does it depend on the company, or do they all use the same process? How many years should I expect out of it?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GOC

I had my bath resurfaced in a flat in the UK. Cost me £100. Like you I was looking for a cheap makeover without the mess or expense of pulling out the old bath putting in a new one.
    It worked out ok, it certainly looked good after it was done and still looks fine a couple of years later. It did chip away in a few places but nothing too drastic.

The preparation is important, the surfacer sands down the old bath surface to provide a key and effectively sprays the bath. You can't use it afterwards for 48 hours. Maybe even allow a few hours more, it's absolutely essential that it sets properly.

Overall I was pleased with the finish especially as I was decorating the flat for sale. However baths have become so cheap now, I would rather buy a new one as long as I could find a plumber who was not going to charge too much to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

GOC wrote:
    Overall I was pleased with the finish especially as I was decorating the flat for sale. However baths have become so cheap now, I would rather buy a new one as long as I could find a plumber who was not going to charge too much to install.
    Thanks for the input. I appreciate that baths are relatively cheap at the moment, but I want to refurbish the room without having to retile or call a plumber, so thats another reason for leaving the bath where it is and just resurfacing it

Advertisement