Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at a s/h car, private sale, getting it checked out?

Options
  • 01-12-2005 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, just looking for a little help, going looking at two prospective new cars at the weekend one is an 01 golf gti in a garage (so I can get a warranty) the other is an 03 alfa 156. The alfa is private, full service history etc but as there will be no warranty on a private sale im wondering what are peoples views on ascertaining whether or not a car has been crashed.
    Should I get someone to have a look at it before agreeing a deal.
    Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in south Dublin that does this type of thing?
    Gerry Campbell (TI autos MR ALFA) hardly does it does he?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I know AA do it buts its not something you could do for every prospective car - due to costs.

HP autodata, will inform you of the cars financial history (01) 2600905

have you got a competent local panel beater who can check for signs of damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

no, anyone recommend one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Bring a mechanic!! AA will do a full check on car but charge 500 quid or so....a good mechanic will spot any problems with a quick look over engine and so on.....most cars if crashed bad at all you will spot it....body out of line or something like that! just spend time looking at car and so on! make sure to ask person selling if crashed! then you have come back in a court of law!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Don't forget the 03 alfa will have between 1 and 13 months of its 3 year manufacturer warrantee remaining depending when in 03 it was first reg'ed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

good point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I thought the AR warranty was 2 years standard and extended to 3 if you bought it for an additional price :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I just assumed that all manufacturers these days offered 3 year warrantees. I'm open to correction on AR though, best to check it out

Advertisement