Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Script to add printers to Win2K/XP

• 01-12-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

It will save me alot of useless running around if I can create a user-downloadable script to add arbitrary printers (by hostname) to their machine.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263226 was the first one I came across, but I don't like the idea of asking non-techie users to execute random VB scripts.
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/KnowledgeBase/Docs/20040216090320 looks more promising and should be single-click-able after I pack the bits into a zip executable.

Can anyone suggest something better?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the printers are shared at IP level there was a script to add that - but I'd rather keep the queues so you can manage them.

Hang on a sec ....... D'Oh

Try this on a command prompt

START \\serverName\PrinterName

( use NET VIEW \\ServerName to see the share names)

Not sure how it works if spaces in share names - I avoid them if possible

IIRC it's only admin/power users who can install the printer the first time,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, the users are expected to have admin rights.
    The printers are connected over straight IP, but I want to use their (dns) hostnames in order to future proof this a bit, as the IP address ranges more than likely will change in the future. I don't want to connect them using smb-shares.
    What I'm worried about is that the target group of host machines may have a mix of IP and host-name-type configs for the printers, or that the meta/driver names on both the old and the new printer entry may conflict (though I doubt that should be an issue nowadays).

Last thing I'm a bit concerned about is the delivery method (winzip executable running a batch script to merge the regkeys and start-stop the services) being flagged as a trojan by the AV software.
    I'll suck it and see, but thanks for the command options.

Advertisement