Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irregular Results??

• 01-12-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I post here fairly regularly but would rather ask this qeustion as an anon poster...

I went for my routine smear test recently, thought no more of it as my results have alway's come back clear.
    I got a letter from my doc recently asking me to come in and talk to her about it. Turns out that my result was irregular. I asked if maybe it had been irregular due to bleeding or something but she said no, that I had abnormal cell growth.
    I have to go back in january for a repeat test and in the mean time I'm just worrying myself sick. If the results are the same or if the cells haven't killed themselves off I have to go for a Coloscopy (think thats
    Basically I just want to know if anyone in here had similar results, and what was the outcome of it.
    Any info appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Nothing to be ashamed of with this, it's good that you're getting smear tests performed.

I had a very similar result on my first ever smear test. I was worried but the doctor said that it might be an infection or something worse. She bought me back in for a second smear, and it turned out to just be a slight infection. She calmed me down by saying that smears often return irregularities, which often turn out to be nothing, but that they do have to check them out.

In the event that the smear result is harmless, the doctor will still recommend that you come in for another 2 smears over the course of the following year just to be sure.

Relax for now, there is nothing you can do until you get the results of the second smear

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

dudara wrote:
    . She calmed me down by saying that smears often return irregularities, which often turn out to be nothing, but that they do have to check them out.

this is correct
    it has also happened to me, turned out to be nothing.
    If your doctor is waiting till january for a repeat then I can't see it being serious, try not to worry, it will most likely turn out to be nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that, you know how it is just a bit worrying... i suppose it's not something that I ever really thought about, just stupidly presumed that all would be ok as it always has been. Thanks for the words of wisdom anyway...Please God all will be ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

while we're on the topic, how regularly should one go for smear tests?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tuesday_Girl

Pixiepop wrote:
    Thanks for that, you know how it is just a bit worrying... i suppose it's not something that I ever really thought about, just stupidly presumed that all would be ok as it always has been. Thanks for the words of wisdom anyway...Please God all will be ok!

Irregular results are common and can have many causes, most of them harmless, your doc will want you to have another one just to be on the safe side so don't worry too much.

I've been down the road of irregular results, colposcopy, etc. and now my smears are regular again. Catching it in time is the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/
    Cervical cancer is rare in women under 20. Teenagers' bodies, particularly the cervix, are still developing, which means young women may get an abnormal smear result when there is nothing wrong.
    Seraphina wrote:
    while we're on the topic, how regularly should one go for smear tests?
    I suppose thats down to advice from your own doctor, depending on your profile.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/special_reports/newyearmot.htm
    Under the NHS’s cervical screening programme, women between the ages of 20 and 64 are called for smear tests every three to five years.

http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/cervical/
    Age group (years) Frequency of screening
    25 First invitation
    25 - 49 3 yearly
    50 - 64 5 yearly
    65+ Only screen those who have not been screened since age 50 or have had recent abnormal tests

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/topic13022#s6
    How often should I have one?

You should have Pap smears routinely from the time you're first sexually active (or from the age of 18, whichever comes first) to the end of menopause. Many experts recommend that you be tested every year, although if the results regularly come back negative your doctor may suggest longer intervals between screenings.

So next time you are with you GP, discuss it and see wha they recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think ALL ladies should know this information.

Log on to the ICSP (Irish Cervical Screening Programme) for details about smears.

Once you are 25 or over, you are entitled to a FREE smear and be monitored by this programme. They will inform you WHEN you need to go for a smear and send you documentation.

I was at my doctors a year ago for a prescription and she asked me did I know about this free smear. I did not. I never had one. She told me to book in and I did a few weeks later. Had it done. Results, fortunately, were clear.

I received a letter a week ago from ICSP, saying that, a year later, I was entitled to another free recommended smear. I am booked in for tomorrow.

They also said in information in documentation from them that if I take this next smear, and it is clear, I wouldnt have to take another smear for 5 years.

I dont like smears. But I would be mad at myself if I had this FREE opportunity and didnt use it. I wouldnt be able to justify it to myself that I had this perfect opportunity to ensure everything is ok and passed it up.

AFAIK, once you've had the all-clear from a smear, you need not take another one for 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Pixiepop wrote:
    Hey everyone, I post here fairly regularly but would rather ask this qeustion as an anon poster...

I went for my routine smear test recently, thought no more of it as my results have alway's come back clear.
    I got a letter from my doc recently asking me to come in and talk to her about it. Turns out that my result was irregular. I asked if maybe it had been irregular due to bleeding or something but she said no, that I had abnormal cell growth.
    I have to go back in january for a repeat test and in the mean time I'm just worrying myself sick. If the results are the same or if the cells haven't killed themselves off I have to go for a Coloscopy (think thats
    Basically I just want to know if anyone in here had similar results, and what was the outcome of it.
    Any info appreciated..

I know someone who had similar results and similar worries and all turned out well for her in the end.She was worried sick but in the ned for nothing. Her friend also had similar results and she didn't worry at all and she was fine too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dudara wrote:
    AFAIK, once you've had the all-clear from a smear, you need not take another one for 5 years.
    It seems if its a pattern of all clear, you waive you for a few years.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I should have stated that more clearly. Once you've had a few clear tests, like your doctor is planning for you, then every five years suffices.

Advertisement