Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Omg Omg Omg Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 01-12-2005 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to the radio on me way homke and on it they said that the government is now investing 40million in two new subjects for the leaving cert and they are computer studies(sorta like computer science) and computer graphic design, this is what i want to do in cologe and they screwed us over like wtf, it shuda bin for this year and not next years, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

really?? thats really interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Nice, puter studies would have been sweet

"Yeah I'm just gonna go into the other room and study for computers"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

they should have had that for us... no fair

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

computer graphic design, would have liked that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I did computer studies in St Nessans in Limerick but the only bad thing is though the points are only recognised by UL and LIT. Although in saying that I am in my final year of a BSc in Information Systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

...can't find this report anywhere. You sure they weren't talking about some potential new system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I was listening to spin 103.8 while studying for business and accounting as ive my xmas test in the morning and it came on that the minister for education has announced it, well at 1st i wasnt totally listening so they mite have said theres talks or that its defo happening not 2 sure it wasnt until i heard 40million on the radio that i started listening....

IF it does happen it would have been easy for people like us to get lots of points :).....

Sure it will be on the nine o clock news if its true....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Awfully sorry to burst the bubble, but there isn't going to be a Computer Studies
    course for LC :(

The two new syllabi are in (1) Technology (a continuation of the JC course) and (2) Design and Communications Graphics (to replace Technical Drawing). Have a look here.

Gotta say though that a computer studies course is WAAAAAYYYYY overdue for LC. It's criminal that in this age of technology, internet, etc that students do not have a course available to them at second level.

The only one that I know of is the one that WDK referred to, and despite running for almost 30 years, it's still only a "pilot program"!!

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Shrimp wrote:
    computer graphic design, would have liked that..

Same here, tis rock hard to find work in it without experiance though, trust me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It wouldn't be too hard to put a CS course on the Leaving Cert... It's an option up North for A-Levels. It'd be a really good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Delphi91 wrote:
    Awfully sorry to burst the bubble, but there isn't going to be a Computer Studies

The two new syllabi are in (1) Technology (a continuation of the JC course) and (2) Design and Communications Graphics (to replace Technical Drawing). Have a look here.

Gotta say though that a computer studies course is WAAAAAYYYYY overdue for LC. It's criminal that in this age of technology, internet, etc that students do not have a course available to them at second level.

The only one that I know of is the one that WDK referred to, and despite running for almost 30 years, it's still only a "pilot program"!!

Mike
    They're replacing TD? WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Raphael wrote:
    They're replacing TD? WTF?

They're "girling up" the course - look at the name even, it's implied. FFS. Ridiculous.

It wouldn't be too hard to put a CS course on the Leaving Cert....

You'd think, wouldn't you!

However, I was at a meeting about 4 years ago attended by the Chief Inspector in the Dept of Ed and he essentially said that there was already 32 subjects available for LC so they would be very unlikely to add more.

However one would have to argue that if they can change one subject for another, then surely it's time to look at the numbers of students taking minority subjects (like Latin for example) and consider replacing them by CS. I'm sure that the take up would be far greater than the numbers taking other subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Well atleast were all not getting screwed over right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Good idea to have a computer subject! Have to say though hate the subject! Did ECDL in fourth year i absoloutly hated it! Got my certificate though woo

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I don't think alot of teachers would be able to teach that anyway, most of them that are supposed to be computer literate can barely operate MS Word. I'm in the computer room for all my LCVP classes anyway. The subject's a joke, the teacher spends every class doing stuff we did last year, so all I do is play Sonic the Hedgehog :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Bastards, that would have been something to get an A1 in.... lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

Delphi91 wrote:

Mike

Would that not take a while though having computers a full leaving cert subject, as I would imagine the qualified teachers would be hopelessly inadequate to bring it onstream nationally and would probably necessitate teachers with degrees in the area..?

geraghd wrote:
    Would that not take a while though having computers a full leaving cert subject, as I would imagine the qualified teachers would be hopelessly inadequate to bring it onstream nationally and would probably necessitate teachers with degrees in the area..?

Absolutely!

And as a subject, it's probably the most fluid subject that you could put on the course i.e. the subject would be changing so rapidly that it would be difficult to keep up! Not alone would you need to have teachers who were qualified, but who also had a genuine interest (were up to date on developments, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I was talking to my Technical Drawing teacher today about the supposed new subject. He said he got the first draft of the syllabus for 'Design and Communications Graphics' in 1997, and every few years he has been sent out a new draft, each time with a supposed date for implementation that came and went.

He agreed that the TD course needs to be revamped, but doubted when, if ever there would be action taken on it.

• Advertisement

bus77 wrote:
    Same here, tis rock hard to find work in it without experiance though, trust me :rolleyes:

Obviously I dont mean to use that as a qualification of some kind, what I mean is that I like GD and I would consider myself petty decent at it, therefore I might get high point, sure I mean of course you'd have to have a Ba in Vis Com if you wanted a job as a GD. Which is what I hope to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Just for the love of god don't go to IADT

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭lost_soul

Funkstard wrote:
    I was talking to my Technical Drawing teacher today about the supposed new subject. He said he got the first draft of the syllabus for 'Design and Communications Graphics' in 1997, and every few years he has been sent out a new draft, each time with a supposed date for implementation that came and went.

He agreed that the TD course needs to be revamped, but doubted when, if ever there would be action taken on it.

A working group was set up last year by the NCCA to work on the updating of the TD sylabus. i think they are serious about it this time. My teacher is on that group and they meet at leat once a week. Im fairly sure i read somewhere that they new subject will be introduced next year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 irishunion.com

Why not write some (lots) requests to the Education minister to introduce computer related subjects in the LC. Or organise a protest.

I'm available during the day, i work during the night, what am i? email me

Advertisement