Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€45M Sale - City Coffers Full

Options
  • 01-12-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Suggestions as to what the City Council should/could do with the money

1. build sports facilities
    2. provide playgrounds
    3. build more council/affordable houses

What are other people's thoughts on this subject

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Invest in recycling and more green area's throughout the city, in fairness their really is#'ent that many green area's in waterford

In the long run recyclying is a very good move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

What did they sell again!??

Anyway.. 3 words.. Recreation Recreation Recreation

How about a municipal gym and leisure centre? Something along the lines of Total Fitness in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Dont get too carried away if you think the council is going to be splashing money around , they already said the money will not be in this years estimates so expect there to be war when they increase the standing order and the bin charges in the estimates ,
    They are already committed to building a new leisure centre at the rsc which is meant to go ahead in the new year including pool , gym etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Bards wrote:

2. provide playgrounds

Buy Kilkenny. Still have enough change to do all of the above ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

KevIRL wrote:
    Buy Kilkenny. Still have enough change to do all of the above ;)

I was going to mention that but though i'd be shot down for bringing it up...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Bards wrote:
    I was going to mention that but though i'd be shot down for bringing it up...

Ah no - surely not on the Waterford Forum:rolleyes: ;) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd spend the money on a mix of recreational facilities and better social services for those in particular cirumstances such as victims of "anti social behaviour" etc...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Cabaal
    Invest in recycling and more green area's throughout the city, in fairness their really is#'ent that many green area's in waterford

In the long run recyclying is a very good move

thats stupid , invest in a space program. The reason we can buy cheap satellites from the russians and then rent them to ppl who need to spy on other ppl , plus spy on kilkenny hurling training sessions so we know what their thinking. Plus we can get all the crap from the landfills and chuck it out into space with "unmanned" well we will need to send some maintance monkeys to ensure its destination is correct. Monkeys have a good sence of direction

Lads and Lassies.. Where did this money come from?

From the sale of about 23 acres of land on the Outer Ring Road, yep urban (mainly industrial) blight will be speading southwards very soon!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Why dont they build a new skate park:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

They should focus the money on creating new tourist attractions. I purpose that we build two hotels. Each built solely by myself. The first would be completely made out of sand and it would resemble a castle......I think we could call it something like...erm.....let me see......"The Hotel that is made out of Sand that resembles a Castle Inn", well if you can think of a better name then let me know..
    The second hotel would be made out of Blocks of Ice, similar to that one that they have in Thurles or Norway, er...somewhere exotic anyway. That hotel could be called Fantazia, :rolleyes: mmmm tasty.

And with whatever money is left over we hire a bunch of dwarfs to roll the biggest spliff ever and we bask in the glory of our successfully hotel empire while simpin on champagne and helping sexy women have babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Bards wrote:

2. provide playgrounds

3. They will use the money to buy more land and then build on them. The land they sold was not zoned for housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Use it to build a new Waterford GAA stadium. Walsh Park is a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i dont see why the corporation should fund that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

The Corpo say the money will be used for capital expenditure, in which case I would like to see some of it going to Waterford Airport. I know its not inside the city boundary but it would be a huge boost to both tourism and industry in Waterford to have a proper airport capable of taking jet aircraft.
    About €5m would do it.
    Oh and a decent road out to it while they are at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

one thing i wonder about is why does the park have no lighting? maybe some money could be spent on that?

Why not put some of it toward the new road linking up the cork road and the Dublin road?

Say for example we agree to put 5mil towards the cost if its completed in 18 months. Watch the Government have it built like lightening then!

I think the runway idea for Waterford Airport is excellent... 5 mil.. I also think pumping some of it into a big leisure centre would be good too. Imagine the public sports and leisure facility you could stick up on the RSC land for 15mil??

That still leaves 20 mil for the mayors new car!!

Vote Quimby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

is half the money not gone already on the new outer ring road?? ya can't spend what you don't have..

That was paid for out of the government coffers I belive.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

Who has bought this site, and does anyone know what kind of units will be going in on that site?

Advertisement