Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychological or Psychoanalytical views on the role of technology?

• 01-12-2005 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm new to the Psychology board and not especially well-versed in the subject in general, so please be gentle :)

I'm currently looking into the role of technology in society and the subject of attitudes towards technology, specifically dependence on technology, the fetishisation of technology (i.e. describing gadgets as 'sexy' etc) and anxiety over technology, both in terms of distrust and in terms of the anxiety caused by the failure of technology.

I really am pretty new to the whole area of psychoanalysis (I'm looking at the depiction of technology in fiction), so am not really sure where to look. I'm attempting to find relevant ideas in Freud, Jung and Lacan, as well as Julia Kristeva, but would be massively grateful if anyone could give me some pointers as to what to look for? Needless to say if I write a book about it in a few years I'll dedicate it to you and perhaps distribute the royalties (c'mon, you can't turn down outright bribery :D ) anyway any suggestions at all would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement