Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough Derg

• 01-12-2005 6:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, mate of mine has a small cruiser berthed in Killaloe and hasnt used it since last year. He offered me a loan of it to clean it up a bit and give it a bit of a run for a wekend and I was wondering would it be madness to go out this time of year or is Lough Derg fairly calm and sheltered? Was thinking bout going down the shannon a bit as well for the spin. Will have decent cold weather gear and have done plenty of boating in the UK but never done anything over here so is anything else I should know before heading down?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Lough Derg can get very rough :eek: . You won't travel very far in a weekend. Also you won't get down the Shannon. Check the forecast. If the wind is from the west, maybe stay on the western shore. Go up to MountShannon. If there is no chance of strong winds go up the east side and stopover in Garrykennedy or Dromineer. You can buy a guide to the waterways which will help.
    Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Check the forecast but of course you would ;-) It's been a pretty mild November so you may be in luck

Lough Derg is great but exposed all over. GaryKennedy and TerryGlas make great landfalls. Dromineer would be nice and cosy. All have great traditional pubs and eateries

I'm more of a sailor but www.iwai.ie and
    www.waterwaysireland.org may be helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Yeah had a look at both websites and learnt a lot i have to say. I think i'll leave it until spring, weathers been pretty crap the last few days but maybe if im up early some sunday morning and it looks nice i'll pop over. Went for a drive all up the entire west coast of the lough last year and called into every harbour I could find on the map. Really are some fantastic spots. Holy Island looked great. Looking fowrad to exploring it next year.

Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

pclancy,

I have some Ordnance Survey Maps and Charts - electronic- of the area if you are interested.

spin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

Don't be a bit worried !

Once the weather forecast is ok you should be ok. I have being cruising on Ree and Derg now for many years 12 months of the year ! Don't go out in more than F5 winds and you will be fine.

Derg is really only a wide river with plenty of refuge harbours. Ree is a bit more open.

Do plan your voyage by the half day and ensure that you plan using the hireboat / IBRA charts which will cost you €15 ish.

Check out www.iwai.ie - the Inland Waterways Assoc and www.powerboat.ie - Club Powerboat.ie for up to date info. Both sites each have over 100 active members who will give you detailed advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement