Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV in Galway

Options
  • 01-12-2005 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

What do ye think about putting CCTV cameras around the city? There are already garda cameras on shop st and osme other places (mounted on big poles, very subtle unless you're looking out for it).

Personally I think that CCTV shuld be recorded but not monitored for the sake of privacy and only usable as evidence in a particular case. I.e. there was a rape recently in the city, there would be some video evidence if the CCTV was recorded but not monitored.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

So,uh,it's fine to look through recorded footage for evidence after a crime has taken place..but not to monitor, which may actually allow intervention/prevention of the crime ...?
    Also, reviewing the tape for evidence = watching the tape = seeing what has happened anyway..
    :confused:

+ CCTV is only as effective as the positioning allows. And even then, it has to be facing the right way.. Also, in the case of a rape: there is evidence already (Forensics - which holds up in court,and could only get there one way; so is it really necessary to review a rape?)

.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I tell ya one thing its stopped me p1ssing up against the door of McDonalds Shop street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't mind at all. The positive outweighs the negative imo.
    If I'm staggering down Shop Street and get robbed/beaten up and CCTV can help intervene/find the perps I don't mind at all.

Or outside pubs/banks, anyplace really where there is a possibility of violent crime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

True, do we really have the right to privacy in a public place i suppose is the question. Lol they put one up in mervue as a test a year or two ago and 'deh beys' maced it.

I still don't like the idea of it being constantly monitored - mainly because I had a neighbour who's a guard and an absolute dickhead who monitors it.

Karoma, CCTV provides faces. Forensics doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

how exactly do you mace a camera?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

i think he means "stole"

Yeah get with the times ya wee northern blow-in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

JohnCleary wrote:
    I tell ya one thing its stopped me p1ssing up against the door of McDonalds Shop street :D

No it hasn't! C'mon be honest now!

Reminds me of the time I was in mcdonalds and outta nowhere this coloured kid ran from the counter to outside (he was about up to my knee), dropped his pants and peed on a girls fancy dress that she was wearing for the Galway Races.

I'm all for embracing foreign cultures but come on :p

grasshopa wrote:
    Reminds me of the time I was in mcdonalds and outta nowhere this coloured kid ran from the counter to outside (he was about up to my knee), dropped his pants and peed on a girls fancy dress that she was wearing for the Galway Races.

The strange thing, is that I don't doubt you for a second!

• Advertisement

There was an eyewitness... I can't remember who though.

It was unbelievable - but soooo funny as long as you ain't the girl in the dress

I can imagine....

Little Girl: "Mummy mummy... I really like my new dress for Aunt Helga's wedding!"

*Cue racially different kid, naked from the waist down and smelling ominiously of sour milk

Kid: "Here I will empty my bladder!! (translated from foreign babble)

Liitle Girl: "Arghhhh..... my new dress, it's soaked!"

Kid: Hasta La Vista fúckers. (exit Kid)

Advertisement