Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivor Callely, Junior Transport Minister

Options
  • 01-12-2005 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭

This guy is annoying me more and more every day! He seems to be interested only in people voting for him and his general image! Seems that civil servants aren't too pleased with him either, think it must be half a dozen that have walked out on him now (including his own political appointee). He's a joke! In any other country he wouldn't be tolerated in government. Opinions?

Edited to correct typo

Comments

In some countries, when a Minister asks a civil servant to do something and they don't, they'd face the firing squad. We're just not that advanced...

Whoever got all touchy about the distinction between the civil service and political stuff should have got a kick in the ass and told to cop on. Who did she think she was working for anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

In some countries, when a Minister asks a civil servant to do something and they don't, they'd face the firing squad. We're just not that advanced...

Whoever got all touchy about the distinction between the civil service and political stuff should have got a kick in the ass and told to cop on. Who did she think she was working for anyway?

ehh maybe she thought she was working for you, me and every other joe and josephine public, thats a civil servant's job, not helping any politician (whatever flavour) got re-elected.

"The tradition of the Civil Service has been one of loyal and impartial service for the benefit of the country.
    To work in the public service is to work for the common good. The traditional values of the public service - honesty, impartiality and integrity - are about serving this common good. Standards of probity are high and must be maintained. These values must be the basis for the official actions of civil servants." CIVIL SERVICE CODE OF STANDARDS AND BEHAVIOUR
    http://www.sipo.gov.ie/2986_246.htm

I thought the exchange in the Dáil was very funny.

Pat Rabbitte asked the minister if perhaps he could move Ivor Callelly around to different departments as he seems to have a knack in getting civil servants to move.
    It might speed up decentralisation he said...

Another said it brought a whole new meaning to "operation free flow"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm surprised Callely has lasted so long as even a junior minister. He constantly shoots his mouth off about stuff he wants credit for but which often doesn't exist! His level of importance was evident when T21 was unveiled at Dublin Castle-he wasn't even at the top table and he's junior transport minister!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

murphaph wrote:
    he wasn't even at the top table and he's junior transport minister!
    Was he at the kiddies table even? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

wrote:
    "The tradition of the Civil Service has been one of loyal and impartial service for the benefit of the country.
    To work in the public service is to work for the common good. The traditional values of the public service - honesty, impartiality and integrity - are about serving this common good. Standards of probity are high and must be maintained. These values must be the basis for the official actions of civil servants." CIVIL SERVICE CODE OF STANDARDS AND BEHAVIOUR

jesus,how ironic, can I quote this to my collegues? I think I might put this on a sign in my workplace.

What happened with Ivor allegedly anyways? Any links?

bug wrote:
    What happened with Ivor allegedly anyways? Any links?
    See the episode of "Yes, Minister" (?) where Bernard (?) won't send Christmas cards to constituents(?), but will to journalists (?).

The junior minister ordered a civil servant to attend a party meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

murphaph wrote:
    I'm surprised Callely has lasted so long as even a junior minister. He constantly shoots his mouth off about stuff he wants credit for but which often doesn't exist!
    The incomplete cycle lanes running past his own office come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

From today's Irish Independent:
    The pressure's on: Taoiseach expresses concern as Callely staff row takes a new turn

ADVERTISEMENT

Treacy Hogan and

Gene McKenna

IVOR Callely's future was uncertain last night after his top political aide claimed the embattled minister had offered him the gift of a brand new car not to quit his job.

Taoiseach Bertie Ahern is known to be concerned over the latest twist in Mr Callely's staffing problems.

The junior Transport Minister's personal political assistant, Niall Phelan, expressed "outrage" at the gift offer, branding it "wholly inappropriate".

The minister begged his top political advisor, who earned a basic €40,000-a-year salary plus allowances, not to resign from the Department of Transport and offered to "personally gift" him a new car, according to Mr Phelan.

It is known that Mr Phelan drives a four-year-old Renault Laguna, and that the new car offered by the minister was likely to be a brand new model which costs upwards of €25,000.

Mr Callely spoke to the Taoiseach yesterday and explained his side of the controversy.

The two men had a conversation at Mr Callely's instigation after a scheduled meeting between Mr Ahern and his Ministers of State.

The revelation is the latest in a series of staff problems which have beset the minister in recent weeks.

As revealed by this newspaper, his private secretary Una McDermott resigned last week and he is now seeking his sixth private secretary in his short ministerial career. At least four civil servants who work with him have put in for transfers.

A confidential letter was obtained by the Irish Independent yesterday in which Mr Phelan outlines an early morning meeting with the minister when he urged his aide to reconsider his resignation.

The meeting, according to Mr Phelan, took place in the Javaholics Coffee Shop in Dublin city centre on Wednesday morning.

" As I stated to you during our meeting this morning your offer today to personally gift me a new car to encourage me to remain on in my role is wholly inappropriate," said Mr Phelan.

"In my view you should not have made such an offer and I reject it utterly," he added.

"My decision to resign from my role is, as I have already stated, irrevocable and I have no wish to receive further representations or offers from you in an attempt to dissuade me from this course," the letter adds.

The letter was also sent to Julie O'Neill, the Department's Secretary General, and the department's personnel section.

Last night Mr Phelan declined to make any comment on the matter.

Upset

However sources close to him said he was "outraged and very upset" at the offer.

He viewed it as totally inappropriate.

Mr Callely was maintaining silence.

As was the case with the resignation of Una McDermott last week, the minister would not comment on Mr Phelan's claims. He refused to respond to queries on who was going to pay for the car and the appropriateness of the offer.

A spokesperson for the Department of Transport did not have any knowledge of the car offer. - "none whatsoever."

BLOOM FADES:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ArthurDent wrote:

:D:D

Very good. Right from the first mention of 'work' and 'public service'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Anybody remember Murphy Brown. She went through 93 different secretaries.

So Ivor has has a bit of ground to make up.

I'd promote Sean Haughy and drop Ivor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

If Mr. Phelan's version of events is accurate then I have to say I'm actually heartwarmed to hear that some modicum of decency in public service remains.

Cork wrote:

Including Cosmo Kramer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Cork wrote:

So Ivor has has a bit of ground to make up.

I'd promote Sean Haughy and drop Ivor.

Interesting analogy, Dan Quayle, another incompetent politician, criticised the character of Murphy Brown for being a single mother. People in glass houses shouldn't criticize or make comparisons to, fictional characters.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For years Callely opposed deregulation of taxis ands was basically the unofficial mouthpiece of the taxi drivers' union in the Dáil. He deserves every little bit of what's hopefully coming his way, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think Ivor Callely's tactic has worked very well. A couple of months ago nobody knew who he was, now everyone knows who he is. Isn't it ironic how idiot's seem to get voted into power....watch his space.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,968 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Victor wrote:
    Which she was legally barred from attending...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 seanoige

Victor wrote:

A complete lie.

She was asked to go to a chamber of commerce event,hardly a FF party meeting.

Why let the facts get in the way.

Ivor is an idiot but this smear campaign is a joke.

What are her chances of securing alternative employment? I don't care how competent she is, if someone in this office refused to attend a meeting they would be in real trouble and all the employment law in the world wouldn't change that.

I can see her CV going into the bin beside every desk on which it lands...welcome to the real world honey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bertie Ahern has just issued a mild critisim of Callely.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What odds on IC seeing out the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

bye bye minister for taxi quotas. The lateral thinker who tried to sort Dublin's transport problems by visiting BMW headquarters in Munich.

The clown whose pea brain gave us classics like:
    Rogue asylum seekers should be kicked out of Ireland...carrying on in a culture that is not akin to Irish culture...bleeding of lambs in the back garden

RTE wrote:
    Earlier, Mr Kenny described as extremely serious the report that John Paul Construction had arranged for work to be carried out in Mr Callely's home.

In a statement issued to RTÉ early this morning, John Paul Construction confirmed that the work, undertaken in the early 1990s, was paid for by them.

The company says it did not receive any payment or other benefit from any party in relation to the work. Mr Callely has confirmed the report.

In 1991, Mr Callely became the youngest chairman of the then Eastern Health Board.

At the time the board's headquarters, which was based at the former Dr Steven's Hospital in Dublin, was being refurbished by John Paul Construction.

Mr Callely has told RTÉ that Mr John Paul Senior, who he knew, offered to help him out when another firm of decorators let him down at short notice.

Mr Callely says he expected a bill for the work which he believes cost around £1,500, but with the passage of time he cannot locate such an invoice.

However, he accepts the work was paid for by John Paul Construction. He rejects any suggestion of impropriety on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

CJhaughey wrote:
    What odds on IC seeing out the week?
    Surely its a given now.
    But will he be pushed or leave gracefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

This was in the early 90's and while I hate the fact that these back-handers was how they did business, that's exactly how all politicians and big companies did business!
    There was a lot more going on back then and getting your house painted for free is small potatoes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

zaph wrote:
    For years Callely opposed deregulation of taxis ands was basically the unofficial mouthpiece of the taxi drivers' union in the Dáil. He deserves every little bit of what's hopefully coming his way, IMO.
    Seemingly he was against deregulation because he owned several taxi plates and rented them out.

I grew up in Clontarf around the corner from him. He really is a loathsome character and most people I know in the area are of the same view, so how he gets re-elected is beyone me.
    He is usually found on Sunday mornings outside the local church welcoming people in, and eventually drags himself, his wife and kids into the church well about 5 or 10 mintues into the sermon and makes loads of noise trying to get seats up near the front.
    He also used to write to people in the area whose planning permission came through, about how he was glad to assist them, etc. and if he could do any more for them.

Currently I live in Leixlip and the only local representatives I know of are Catherine Murphy and Emmet Stagg. both are excellent politicians IMO and complete contrasts to the small despiciable character of Ivor

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sleipnir wrote:
    This was in the early 90's and while I hate the fact that these back-handers was how they did business, that's exactly how all politicians and big companies did business!
    There was a lot more going on back then and getting your house painted for free is small potatoes.
    He still should have declared it and I hope he [and anyone else who is in similar positions] gets roasted!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

What are her chances of securing alternative employment? I don't care how competent she is, if someone in this office refused to attend a meeting they would be in real trouble and all the employment law in the world wouldn't change that.
    I can see her CV going into the bin beside every desk on which it lands...welcome to the real world honey...

Why would she need alternative employment? She still has a job - she is a civil servant and will be posted somewhere else.

She is not obliged to do everything at the whim of the person she is assigned to. She stood up for herself and I think she did the right thing. The cheek of him to "order" her to attend a meeting that she felt was inappropriate. Who the hell does he think he is? She had valid reasons for not attending (whether you agree with them or not) and it seems that this was backed up by her superiors in the civil service.

Fair play to her I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Sleipnir wrote:

so why now? and why for this, there is definitely someone out to get him, possibly his own colleagues?

one of many crooks

Advertisement